Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Qantas | Frequent Flyer
Reload this Page >

Slap and a sledge for QF (the sledge is really for BA...)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Slap and a sledge for QF (the sledge is really for BA...)

Search this Thread

Old Jun 8, 2009, 12:34 pm
Original Member

Location: Portland OR Double Emerald (QF and AA), DL PM/MM, Starwood Plat
Originally Posted by LTN Phobia
Definitely a lot better than it often was a year ago, although it is still a rubbish lounge (and over-crowded) compared to T5 ones.
The "rubbish" being what all the LHR lounges were like prior to T5 opening; how quickly the bar can be raised. I do agree that BA did an excellent job with the T5 lounges, really stunning. And they seem to be working to roll it out to other cities. Was just recently in the new Toronto lounge, which is Galleries style (as opposed to Terraces) and not quite as good as T5 but within shouting distance and a huge improvement over what BA had in YYZ for so many years. Wonder if other NA cities will also get re-lounged.

This really makes the LAX TBIT re-lounging look sooooo bad.
Old Jun 10, 2009, 9:27 pm

Programs: Qantas
Originally Posted by BD1959
BA Lounge Dragons (esp at LHR) are notorius for not knowing the access rules
Having lived in London and visited BA lounges many times as a WP, I am inclined to a more cynical view: ie, that the "computer says nooooo" syndrome is at work here....with a variation on the Judgment of Solomon as a perverse twist:
Originally Posted by Jackit
Was denied entry and told that i could take in an infant and one guest only - so i would need to choose between my wife and 2 1/2 year old as to who i could bring in....
Originally Posted by SpeedbirdLHR
Fully agree that an apology seems to be needed given the behaviour that the op has clearly stated he readily exhibited. This type of behaviour is uncalled for and highly inappropriate.
Oh, dear. So the OP hurt the lounge staff's feelings a little by possibly highlighting the absurd outcomes that can sometimes result from slavish adherence (or was it, given there is the suggestion that, strictly speaking, he was entitled to one guest only?) to the rules - ouch! In the UK, questioning authority, especially petty authority, is now almost automatically viewed by that same authority as threatening and/or abusive behavior. In the US, or course, you may even get tasered for your troubles (especially if you are female, short and old )
Old Jun 11, 2009, 1:44 am

Programs: QF. UA. Avis. AMEX.
And if you are going to be an idiot about it, so you should be tasered. Now if I could just get it to work through the computer, all the better. :-)
Old Jun 14, 2009, 6:30 am

Originally Posted by number_6
This really makes the LAX TBIT re-lounging look sooooo bad.
I haven't tried the new Galleries admittedly, but I quite liked the new TBIT lounge - if only it had been twice the size, it would have been fine!
Old Jun 14, 2009, 8:09 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: Battleaxe Alliance
Originally Posted by number_6
The "rubbish" being what all the LHR lounges were like prior to T5 opening;
I don't quite agree. T4 F lounge was better than the current offering at T4. I wouldn't have called T4 F particularly 'rubbish' although not particularly good either.

Speaking of lounges, what's happened to some of the nicer food at QF F lounges in MEL? They used to have more 'fancy' food...
Old Jun 14, 2009, 8:27 am

Programs: BA Gold(OWE), QF LTG, MR Plat, IHG Spire, Hertz PC
I don't quite agree. T4 F lounge was better than the current offering at T4. I wouldn't have called T4 F particularly 'rubbish' although not particularly good either.
The biggest issue with the old T4 F lounge was simply capacity. Depending on the time of day you were in the lounge it was sometimes impossible (or near impossible) to find a seat. Even the tall stools at the bar were usually all taken.

Speaking of lounges, what's happened to some of the nicer food at QF F lounges in MEL? They used to have more 'fancy' food...[/QUOTE]

QF going into fortress SYD mode where they forget a certain city a few hundred miles south. Makes me wish the AN/SQ/NZ tie up happened guaranteeing those of us not so SYD focussed with a good level of service especially as MEL was AN's 'home base'.
Old Aug 24, 2009, 12:25 pm

Lets see:

The rules say 1 PERSON.( I checked) Your kids are PEOPLE. ( If not you wont mind us killing them for running around the aircraft and causing general mayhem.) You would be a better parent if you taught your children that rules are for everyone not just the childless.

There is a couple in Arkansas that has 18 kids....do they get to bring ALL of them into the lounge? If not exactly what do you suppose the limit is?
Old Aug 24, 2009, 1:09 pm
In Memoriam

Programs: Mucci
Originally Posted by Corpilot
Lets see:

The rules say 1 PERSON.( I checked) Your kids are PEOPLE. ( If not you wont mind us killing them for running around the aircraft and causing general mayhem.) You would be a better parent if you taught your children that rules are for everyone not just the childless.

There is a couple in Arkansas that has 18 kids....do they get to bring ALL of them into the lounge? If not exactly what do you suppose the limit is?
Any reason why you are dragging up a thread which has been done to death, with the last post over two months ago?

(Welcome to FT, by the way).

Dave
Old Aug 24, 2009, 4:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ►QFWP/LTG►VA WP►HyattExpl.►HiltonGold►ALL Silver
... Speaking of lounges, what's happened to some of the nicer food at QF F lounges in MEL? They used to have more 'fancy' food...
Having employed both lounges in the afternoon/evenings half a dozen times in the last few months, I am here to say the basic menus are very similar if not identical. Maybe there are a few more "daily special" options in SYD.

The "snack" menu disappeared from both over a year ago.

I feel the cooking/service is better in MEL, probably due to the more intimate aspect of the lounge.
Old Aug 24, 2009, 5:37 pm
og
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: QF WP/LTG | UA P
Originally Posted by serfty
I feel the cooking/service is better in MEL, probably due to the more intimate aspect of the lounge.
Thats like saying that WHY meals are better than J meals because there are more people jammed into every cubic metre of cabin...
Old Aug 24, 2009, 6:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ►QFWP/LTG►VA WP►HyattExpl.►HiltonGold►ALL Silver
Originally Posted by og
Thats like saying that WHY meals are better than J meals because there are more people jammed into every cubic metre of cabin...
I have no Idea of what you are referring to.

The MEL restaurant has seating of about 40% that of SYD's. It's smaller and IMHO, service and food tend to be better. (Of course, I would happily visit either.)
Old Aug 24, 2009, 6:52 pm
og
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: QF WP/LTG | UA P
Originally Posted by serfty
The MEL restaurant has seating of about 40% that of SYD's. It's smaller and IMHO, service and food tend to be better. (Of course, I would happily visit either.)
Likewise! Sounds like time to do a TTARB (taste test and report back).
Old Aug 25, 2009, 2:15 am
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some
Case in point. My last meal in MEL lounge took 30 minutes for entree + main (perfect time for me) and they were ready with a top-up whenever the tide went out. In SYD it took 45 minutes for just entree, and no drink top-up whatsoever.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.