Community
Wiki Posts
Search

INT Upgrade success thread.

Search this Thread

Old Jun 23, 2009, 7:01 am

Programs: QF WP, QF LTG, PC Plat, FlyingBlue
Upgrade to J requested on QF10 LHR-SIN today - declined more than 12 hours before!
Old Jun 23, 2009, 7:06 am
Original Poster

you need to read the thread very carefully
Old Jul 4, 2009, 9:34 pm

Programs: NZ*G, QF NB, UA 1K, AA ExecPlat, IHG PlatAmb, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold, ZE1 PC
01JUL QF32 LHR-SIN upgrade to biz declined, but upgrade to PE cleared. Requested during the "you can upgrade red e-deal" promo, about 30 days before departure.

At boarding, my BP was rejected and I was given a new one for business - but the points haven't been deducted from my account, so I assume this was an op-up.

The flight was delayed 9 hours ex-LHR however, due to a faulty A380.
Old Jul 5, 2009, 7:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by ajnz
The flight was delayed 9 hours ex-LHR however, due to a faulty A380.
I arrived at LHR that morning on the inbound aircraft. The story was this, so far as I can tell, in case it satisfies your curiosity.

We were supposed to have been on the aircraft that was scheduled to operate QF31/27JUN and QF32/28JUN, which would have arrived in SYD in the early evening of 29JUN. However, that aircraft went tech at LHR and ended up being delayed for something like 36 hours.

So QF decided instead to use the aircraft that operated QF31/28JUN and QF32/29JUN. However as that aircraft wasn't scheduled to arrive at SYD until 1905 or thereabouts on 30JUN, QF31/30JUN was re-scheduled from 1625 to 2100. Eventually we arrived at LHR at about 1130 on 1JUL.

I imagine that the reason for the longer delay in your departure may have been because the aircraft couldn't be guaranteed to be turned around fast enough at LHR to get to SYD before the curfew bit on 2JUL, so was delayed longer to become an evening departure ex-LHR and an early morning arrival in SYD on 3JUL.

To pretend that this post is on topic, there were some op-ups ex-SYD on my flight, but they may have all been SYD-SIN pax as that was the sector that was sold out; SIN-LHR had space, and as a SYD-LHR pax I was not favoured. Which serves me right to have been too cheap to offer up points for an upgrade!
Old Jul 5, 2009, 12:30 pm

Programs: QF LTS WP, Avis Pres Club, HH Diam.
Got my upgrade request from JNB-SYD J-F approved at T18.

That is 2 from 2.
Old Jul 5, 2009, 9:14 pm

Programs: QF OWE, HH D, HGP D, Starriott Plat, AA/LM/SQ/VA/QF/AS/BA
A colleague of mine got his upgrade request granted for Economy (red e-deal super cheapo) to Business at T-15 for MEL-LAX on A380 July 6th. Strangely enough, at T-48 the system listed duplicated the same flight detail in My Bookings as 'Your flight upgrade request has been declined', and then lo and beholdt the upgrade came through at T-15. You can imagine his delight. Upon checkin at MEL Int'l, he was then op-upped from economy to W+ for the transcontinental (LAX-JFK) since the economy cabin was reportedly oversold.

He is only a QC member, however when requests were made more than 3 months ago he was PS (I believe it takes your status when you requested the upgrade?). He also has about 3500 lifetime SCs if that is also taken into account.

Hope this helps other's expectations in similar scenarios.
Old Jul 5, 2009, 9:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ►QFWP/LTG►VA WP►HyattExpl.►HiltonGold►ALL Silver
Originally Posted by Gold_Member
... Strangely enough, at T-48 the system listed duplicated the same flight detail in My Bookings as 'Your flight upgrade request has been declined', and then lo and beholdt the upgrade came through at T-15. You can imagine his delight. ...
This is the process as mentioned earlier in this thread.
Old Jul 6, 2009, 4:49 am

OLCI and upgrades

Has OLCI affected the notification time for points upgrade? It would be nice if you could checkin at T-24 and know your sucess.
Old Jul 6, 2009, 5:18 am

Programs: QF LTS WP, Avis Pres Club, HH Diam.
Originally Posted by grozzy
Has OLCI affected the notification time for points upgrade? It would be nice if you could checkin at T-24 and know your sucess.
On both my recent legs, I was unable to use OLCI due to the upgrading process. I had to change seats at personal check-in.
Old Jul 9, 2009, 12:46 am
sxc
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Green, QF Platinum, BAEC Silver, Hyatt Glob
A friend told me today that Qantas called them and said there were a lot of J seats on an upcoming flight and would they like to upgrade using points....wonder if this flight is overbooked in Y and so they are trying to get people to burn their points instead of free op-ups.
Old Jul 9, 2009, 12:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ►QFWP/LTG►VA WP►HyattExpl.►HiltonGold►ALL Silver
Happened to me in March - went from 66A on 388 to 12D

(This on an O Class fare SYD-LAX)
Old Jul 10, 2009, 10:32 pm

Programs: QF WP, Hyatt Diamond, Hilton Gold, Hertz 5*
This not technically an INT upgrade but ... my daughter and I got an upgrade on QF81 between Sydney and Adelaide today. The flight was sold out and we were lucky to score an upgrade from a sale fare ($138 for both of us).

Only downside was the flight was an 1:10 late due to the auxilary power unit requiring repair.

Last edited by b6v6; Jul 11, 2009 at 5:32 am
Old Jul 17, 2009, 9:20 am

Programs: NZ*G, QF NB, UA 1K, AA ExecPlat, IHG PlatAmb, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold, ZE1 PC
Originally Posted by Globaliser
I arrived at LHR that morning on the inbound aircraft. The story was this, so far as I can tell, in case it satisfies your curiosity.
Hmm, that's very interesting. I missed a call at 10am which I suspect was from QF telling me not to go to the airport, but there was no voicemail and no caller ID.

I turned up around 10:30am and was checked in, then asked, "Oh, are you aware the flight is delayed 9 hours?" which I wasn't. I was then directed to join a very large queue of people waiting to join a queue to get a hotel room at the Jet Inn Heathrow. The transportation mechanism was typically Heathrow: HEX to T123, then catch a Hotel Hoppa from a non-existent bus stop to Jet Inn. The number of confused/lost pax was pretty high. A few hours and lunch at the Jet Inn, then coaches to pick us up at 1800 to return us to Heathrow. The BA lounge was very packed when I arrived.

The 'official' story at checkin was a tech issue; and there was no further information given onboard other than "I understand you have all been briefed on the reason for the delay" by the Captain. Interestingly, the 2 port-side lavs on the upper deck were out of service - if they had 9+ hours on the ground you would think they could have fixed this.

I received a letter from QF with an AUD$400 voucher in it, and it also states the reason was a "technical issue that took our engineers some time to resolve". Given AUD$400 is more than 50% of the ticket price I'm not upset at all.

If it was not tech related, it doesn't make sense to delay the a/c at LHR when they could have got pax down to SIN and shifted them onto other flights - and kept the SIN-bound pax happy. The number of blown connections to PER, ADL, BNE, etc, was pretty high, with re-routes through SYD being the usual option.

Interestingly we still got served the lunch/breakfast menu, which did feel a bit odd.
Old Jul 24, 2009, 1:19 am

Programs: QF Bronze, Velocity
14th July Y-J upgrade on the red e-deal upgrade promo cleared MEL-LHR on QF09. Made the 6 hours in Mel quite bareable.
21st July LHR-MEL. Organised chaos at LHR as both QF32 to Syd and the QF flight to MEL via HKG were overbooked and they were looking for volunteers. Due to an odd booking (QF32 to SIN, then QF10 to MEL) I was offered a straight through on the QF flight via HK in Premium using my points, but I didnt take it as I had lunch plans with friends in Singapore. It also meant I would have had to have overnighted in MEL before my flight to HBA and they didnt say if they would pay my accom in MEL or not. IF I had the chance I would have taken the comp - with was something like 500 pounds in vouchers and a confirmed seat on the night flights.
QF10 SIN-MEL cleared into Premium Eco. So I'm 121,000 points poorer, BUT have now experienced all QF classes except first. (and am trying to work out how never to fly econ again).
Old Jul 24, 2009, 3:20 am

Programs: QF*WP QF*LTG
Gday

QF127 SYD-HKG on Tuesday next week cleared a Y to J points upgrade - nice

Trip back on Friday QF128 A330-300 all sold in J, so red eye in Y

Thaigold

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.