Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Jetstar compensation question

Search this Thread

Old Apr 6, 2009, 11:33 pm
Original Poster

Unhappy Jetstar compensation question

Can anybody please help me with this question?

My wife and I were delayed in January on a flight that was supposed to leave Hobart for Melbourne at 8 a.m. and left instead at 4:30 p.m.
The problem was Jetstar's. They had a problem with the port engine on the 6 a.m. scheduled departing flight to Sydney and they gave our fully operational aircraft to accommodate the Sydney passengers and left us Melbourne passengers with the broken plane.
We were told the problem would be fixed by 11 a.m., then 1 p.m. those deadlines came and went.
In the meantime, the next scheduled flight to Melbourne that day arrived from Tullamarine and took off at 1:30 p.m. with its originally booked passengers and not the delayed passengers.
I wrote Jetstar Customer Relations about the incident, which caused my wife and I one day of paid wages each.
I requested the compensation they would customarily give an involuntarily bumped passenger (a round-trip flight coupon, one for me and one for my wife) and instead they sent us a single voucher for AUD $100, presumably to cover both our inconveniences. (Average it out to $50 of compensation each)

I should point out that I feel like my wife and I should be treated like involuntarily bumped passengers especially because they allowed the subsequent Melbourne flight to take off first.

Do I have any recourse to obtain a more fair compensation?

Do I have any rights to ask for more?

I am an American (my wife is Australian) so I am unfamiliar with Australian law or custom on the subject, so I ask you, my fellow Flyer Talk travelers.

Thank you.

Last edited by ahronshapiro; Apr 6, 2009 at 11:41 pm
Old Apr 7, 2009, 12:18 am

Programs: QF WP/LTG
Originally Posted by ahronshapiro
I should point out that I feel like my wife and I should be treated like involuntarily bumped passengers especially because they allowed the subsequent Melbourne flight to take off first.
Jetstar is an LCC. I'm reasonably sure that the only thing they promise to do if your flight is cancelled etc is rebook you on another flight or give you your money back.

They don't put you in a hotel if you have to overnight or other types of things that you'd get from a normal full service carrier.

Travel insurance would probably cover these types of disruptions.

Sorry I can't be of more help. Do you have the actual T&C of the fare you booked?
Old Apr 7, 2009, 12:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Surprised you even got 2 x $50 ($100). You have no hope of getting any consquentail loss's from the delay. Thats what Travel insurance if for.

What did the ticket cost?

"arrived from Tullamarine and took off at 1:30 p.m. with its originally booked passengers and not the delayed passengers" No arline would do any different. Otherwise 2 loads of passenger would be disrupted.
Old Apr 7, 2009, 1:24 am

Programs: QF. UA. Avis. AMEX.
Which US airline pays out a full day of wages as compensation? Not AA that's for sure. :-(

As has been mentioned JQ is a LCC and as a result as part of the ticket terms don't have an obligation to get you anywhere. They could have simply refunded your coin for the unflown leg.

You did well with $100. I had QF cancel a CHC to ZQN flight and got a $150 voucher and had to claim back $700 in new air NZ tickets from travel insurance. The QF alternative was travel the next day OR a 7 hour bus trip.

Chalk it up to experience.
Old Apr 7, 2009, 4:08 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: Battleaxe Alliance
My thoughts are exactly as Nonce said.

You either accept the risk, or take out an appropriate travel insurance. I believe you were lucky to get anything at all.
Old Apr 7, 2009, 1:55 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some
I'm also surprised they gave you $100. QF diverted to IVC and stranded me there. I was up for hotel (arrived too late for the last flight out of the day) and walkup fare on NZ. QF just said bugger off, use your travel insurance.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.