Community
Wiki Posts
Search

MEL lounge dragons...

Search this Thread

Old Mar 15, 2009, 4:08 am
Original Poster

Programs: QF LTS WP, Avis Pres Club, HH Diam.
don't get me started on the pensioner CSM's and their new found authoritarianism....
Old Mar 15, 2009, 4:47 am

Originally Posted by d00t
I was platinum at 19 and was asked at BNE once "is this your dad's FF card?"
Well I was once asked for my birth date

But I think that's because I look older than I am, not that I look younger than my status!
Old Mar 15, 2009, 6:30 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: Battleaxe Alliance
Originally Posted by AndDee
Had nothing but nice visits to the MEL lounges and the staff have been fantastic!
Same! They've been absolutely lovely to me (I'm talking about Flounge staff here - I can't praise them enough).

I haven't encountered any problems with domestic lounge staff either, although I wouldn't sing their praises particularly like I would do about the Flounge staff.
Old Mar 15, 2009, 3:08 pm

Programs: QFF (Gold), Skywards, Rapid Rewards,United, Velocity, Hilton Silver
Originally Posted by d00t
Perth QP bar is the only lounge I've ever been carded for ID. This was a few years ago obviously
I got carded in TGIF in New York last year and I was born when Harry was President.

"Baldwin I of Jerusalem undertakes an invasion of Egypt."[1116]
Old Mar 15, 2009, 3:44 pm

Programs: BA Gold(OWE), QF LTG, MR Plat, IHG Spire, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by LTN Phobia
Same! They've been absolutely lovely to me (I'm talking about Flounge staff here - I can't praise them enough).

I haven't encountered any problems with domestic lounge staff either, although I wouldn't sing their praises particularly like I would do about the Flounge staff.
Most complaints however are not about the MEL international dragons, but the MEL domestic dragons.
Old Mar 15, 2009, 5:50 pm

Programs: SG, PR, Avis Preferred and so on
[QUOTE=drewbles;11411094]You must have been lucky. I'm never rude or arrogant to them. I'll always walk up with a smile and say "Hi Can I have a xxxx please?" and it's usually met with silence or a grunt at best.
QUOTE]

Well there is your problem, who in their right mind orders a XXXX?

Personally, I have only ever been in the PER QP once or twice with the beer on, usually on a Sunday arvo and never had a problem. Most of my flights out of PER are am so I guess I am not the best judge.

ADL & SYD are the most accomodating in all areas IMO.

As far as MEL goes, certainly since the J lounge popped up the service experience for us lowly scum has diminished significantly, including the bar line snaking out the door with service slower than Subi oval at a Dockers game. So bad I have taken to drinking wine there! A couple of weeks back a lady asked for some more cheese and was responded to like she asked for the rights to the food monkeys first born child while I had the audacity to request a towel for a shower on that 42 degree day after spending the morning on the floor of a steel mill monitoring production, covered in oil and grease and smelling like a coal miner was asked if I didnt think it was a little early for that. I leant in and said "I am filthy, would you want to sit next to me for 5 hours?"

BNE front counter gatekeepers have always been a problem in my experience, I have never had a good experience in that lounge, always over crowded as well.
Old Mar 15, 2009, 7:17 pm

They refused to sell me an upgrade once. When I said I am now leaving until I am in J, they said but it will take so much effort on our side. I pointed out that I do not care. They did the change.
Old Mar 15, 2009, 8:35 pm

I'm surprised anyone has had an issue with the gatekeepers at BNE as in my experience they're the most lax. I would agree the lounge is pretty poor though, I reckon the SYD and ADL QP's are better than the BNE J lounge
Old Mar 15, 2009, 10:21 pm

I guess everyone has had different experiences with different QP's around the country. Personally I'm pretty happy in any/all of them after about 1pm.
Old Mar 15, 2009, 11:41 pm

Originally Posted by vecta
I guess everyone has had different experiences with different QP's around the country. Personally I'm pretty happy in any/all of them after about 1pm.
Alcohol will do that for you

As per drewbles post, I have had similar treatment at times .. which I could only attribute to being so young (although I'm hitting my mid 20's in 2 weeks ), a few years ago.
Old Mar 15, 2009, 11:48 pm

Originally Posted by flashware
Alcohol will do that for you

As per drewbles post, I have had similar treatment at times .. which I could only attribute to being so young (although I'm hitting my mid 20's in 2 weeks ), a few years ago.
Heh. I still get the attitude and i'm my 30's now (just). I thought it was age, now I think they're just bar dragons
Old Mar 15, 2009, 11:50 pm

Originally Posted by drewbles
Heh. I still get the attitude and i'm my 30's now (just). I thought it was age, now I think they're just bar dragons
Haha. Mine was generally with front desk staff .. generally on the bar I have no issues, just bat the eyelids nicely, smile; and you should be OK
Old Mar 16, 2009, 1:10 am

Programs: QF WP LTG, HHonors Diamond, NZ Gold
Originally Posted by VH-RMD
being directed to the Quickcheck machines to get a boarding pass - never have used them, probably never will plus there was a queue for them. Finally swiping my QP card and saying 'oh, you are in J, you can go around to the counter behind'.
As QP, you are only allowed access if you are travelling QF,JQ,BA that day. Without the BP, the "Dragon" wouldn't know that you were entitled to access. They certainly wouldn't know that you were travelling in J.

Me advising that between me - QPPS, and colleague - QPWP, we had 3 guests being told I could only have one, but my colleague could have 2, 2 guests who were fighting with the quickcheck daleks then refusing them because we had gone through despite having pointed out the guests over at the daleks, and having to go over the whole debacle again and the second row dragon waiting just inside the entrance, past the first desk, to do it all again...
PS in itself offers no access rights. QPWP is a bit of a misnomer: once SG is earned, QP is suspended. From the T&Cs "Guests in Australian and New Zealand domestic Qantas Club lounges must be accompanied by the Member." Trying to find in the T&Cs: "Guests in Australian and New Zealand domestic Qantas Club lounges may be abandoned by the Member whilst fighting with the Quickcheck Dalek" but am failing miserably....

Brings up an interesting point ... if a QP Member is able to guest someone into QP, but is travelling in J, can they guest someone into the QCJ lounge? IIRC: J has no guesting rights

It was not that busy, there just seemed to be a lot of bored female and male dragons harassing people, IMHO, YMMV....

I was merely making an observation given I have accessed the other lounges recently and found MEL to be bad - and hoping that QF lurk here, they might just be interested.

That is all...
It was probably not that busy because the "Dragons" were - from everything I can see - being sticklers for the rules.....ahhhhhhh.....maybe now I see the gist of this post......

BD
Old Mar 16, 2009, 1:30 am
Original Poster

Programs: QF LTS WP, Avis Pres Club, HH Diam.
Originally Posted by BD1959
As QP, you are only allowed access if you are travelling QF,JQ,BA that day. Without the BP, the "Dragon" wouldn't know that you were entitled to access. They certainly wouldn't know that you were travelling in J.

PS in itself offers no access rights. QPWP is a bit of a misnomer: once SG is earned, QP is suspended. From the T&Cs "Guests in Australian and New Zealand domestic Qantas Club lounges must be accompanied by the Member." Trying to find in the T&Cs: "Guests in Australian and New Zealand domestic Qantas Club lounges may be abandoned by the Member whilst fighting with the Quickcheck Dalek" but am failing miserably....

Brings up an interesting point ... if a QP Member is able to guest someone into QP, but is travelling in J, can they guest someone into the QCJ lounge? IIRC: J has no guesting rights

It was probably not that busy because the "Dragons" were - from everything I can see - being sticklers for the rules.....ahhhhhhh.....maybe now I see the gist of this post......

BD
Everything I was doing, was abiding by the rules.

Carry on luggage only allows lounge check-in, regardless of class.

QP membership and traveling, allows a guest.
WP membership allows two guests.

Between me (QPPS) and WP we had three guests.

Being given a whole raft of 'attitude' by lounge dragons - I cannot find in the 'rules'...

As I said, my experience, my perception, others have different experiences and perceptions - all power to them.
Old Mar 16, 2009, 2:14 am

Originally Posted by BD1959
No. A QP member can only guest someone into the QP. If travelling J and accessing the J lounge, then this access is only based on the fact the person is travelling in J. People travelling in J are entitled to lounge access only for themselves.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.