Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Check in early for Qantas at LAX?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 22, 2009, 7:32 am
Original Poster

Smile Check in early for Qantas at LAX?

How early can we check in for a flight on Qantas from LAX? We would like to arrive early and have a look around LA for 8 hours. The only problem is we have 3 large suitcases and the storage areas are closed.

Please help.....thank you.
Old Jan 23, 2009, 10:04 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
I'm sure that for a few $$ to the bellman at any of the hotels on Century Blvd, you can store your bags whilst you're sightseeing. Re: actual check-in time, I'd suggest just calling Qantas to find out.

Cheers.
Old Jan 23, 2009, 12:41 pm
Moderator Hilton Honors, Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz

Programs: Honors Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle, National Exec Elite
OP, welcome to FlyerTalk!

Since your question is airline-specific, I'm going to move to the airline forum where I think you'll get the best help.

cblaisd
Senior Moderator
Old Jan 23, 2009, 1:02 pm
In memoriam

Programs: QF WP & AA EXP
If my memory serves me correctly, check-in opens at 2pm for all Qantas evening flights from TBIT and T4.
Old Jan 23, 2009, 2:20 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some
Originally Posted by wijomas
If my memory serves me correctly, check-in opens at 2pm for all Qantas evening flights from TBIT and T4.
This is not the first time I've read this on FT, yet my experience differs. I was unable to check in until 4 hours prior to departure (some TSA rule about baggage screening despite the fact I travel carry on only).
Old Jan 23, 2009, 2:46 pm

Programs: QF PS, NZ Silver
I believe you can do early check-in at either 1 pm or 2 pm at LAX. "Full service" check-in opens at 4:30 pm. This is per the sign at TBIT so I can't comment on T4.
Old Jan 23, 2009, 4:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ►QFWP/LTG►VA WP►HyattExpl.►HiltonGold►ALL Silver
This Airport guide indicates check-in opens at 2pm for bth TBIT and LAX:Last November I checked in at the T4 AC/QP service desk ~3PM for 11:15pm QF94 out of TBIT that evening. (No checked luggage).
Old Jan 23, 2009, 7:51 pm
Original Member

Location: Portland OR Double Emerald (QF and AA), DL PM/MM, Starwood Plat
Bags can be checked only 4 hours prior to flight departure at LAX whenever the TSA security level is at Orange or higher (which is almost always for the past year and forseeable future). Earlier check-in was allowed by QF when it was Yellow, but now they have no choice.

Luggage is a big problem at LAX (as at most US airports) and leaving with the bell desk at any of the airport hotels is one solution. I generally rent a car (often available for under USD 20 per day) which is the best way to store luggage as well as to do some sightseeing in LA (a car is a necessity).
Old Jul 31, 2015, 2:18 pm

I had a related question so I revived this old thread. Per Qantas website:

Check-in counters are located in Aisle B of the Tom Bradley International Terminal.

Early check-in opens at 4pm for evening Qantas departures. Full-service check-in opens at 6pm.

So if I'm checking luggage at LAX headed to Australia, can I check luggage starting at 4pm or 6pm? And does it matter if I'm in business class? I don't understand what "early" check-in is. Thanks.
Old Jul 31, 2015, 5:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ►QFWP/LTG►VA WP►HyattExpl.►HiltonGold►ALL Silver
4pm ... but I suggest you use OLCI as well, then just do the bag drop.
Old Jul 31, 2015, 11:41 pm
Original Member

Originally Posted by DrewD
... I don't understand what "early" check-in is. Thanks.
Early check-in means no ticketing changes. Full service check-in lets you ticket as well. So 4pm for your case, presuming normal activity. Class of service makes no difference, but CL/P1 status does allow for concierge service which has different hours and capabilities
Old Aug 1, 2015, 5:04 pm

Great, thanks!
Old Feb 7, 2017, 6:22 pm

Check-in now opens only at 6pm

I'm posting in this old thread, because this thread currently comes up in the top 5 results in a Google search for "Qantas early check-in LAX."

I am currently (5pm on 7 Feb 2017) in TBIT at LAX (heading to MEL) and have been told by a rep who just showed up for work that they cannot check me in yet for any Qantas flight.

I've done the early check-in before at 4pm and was expecting to be able to do that again today. (I have one bag I need to check.) Unfortunately, they no longer do that, and the earliest they can check anyone in (or process a bag drop, in my case) is at 6pm. Class/status makes no difference, as there is simply nobody at any of the counters before 6pm.

Hope this info helps other travelers!

Last edited by DavidGC; Feb 7, 2017 at 6:25 pm Reason: Adding info
Old Feb 8, 2017, 3:55 pm

Originally Posted by DavidGC
Unfortunately, they no longer do that, and the earliest they can check anyone in (or process a bag drop, in my case) is at 6pm. Class/status makes no difference, as there is simply nobody at any of the counters before 6pm.
That would be correct, and is reflected in the LAX airport guide on the Qantas web site.

Check-in opens at 6am for flights to New York (JFK), and at 6pm for evening departures to Australia. Check-in closes one hour prior to the scheduled departure time for each flight.
If you are travelling with carry-on baggage only online check-in is available 24h before departure.
Old Feb 9, 2017, 3:17 am
Original Member

The checkin time is dictated in part by the alert level -- which is out of QF's control. You can thank Trump for adding to your trip enjoyment.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.