Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Why did I get upgraded?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 14, 2009, 2:22 pm
Original Poster

Why did I get upgraded?

Just been wondering why I got an upgrade a few months back on a flight from Ayers Rock to Sydney. Was booked in a cheap economy fare. When I arrived at the airport, I went to the business check-in (Im OW Emerald). My bag was given the business tag and without a word being said, I was handed a boarding pass in business. Perhaps the check-in agent was being discreet, but it didnt seem that she was aware of an upgrade.

Now I assume the flight was oversold but it seems strange to me that they would know this at check-in time. On AA for example, I have only ever been upgraded because of oversell at the gate, when they know how many 'no-shows' they have. Even stranger, I had ordered a special meal and this was available, with my name on it, as a business class meal (with a choice of entrees) - so clearly, they knew they were upgrading me way in advance.

So just wondered if this is normal on Qantas?
Old Jan 14, 2009, 2:33 pm

Programs: QFF (Gold), Skywards, Rapid Rewards,United, Velocity, Hilton Silver
Originally Posted by 1/4MM@20
Just been wondering why I got an upgrade a few months back on a flight from Ayers Rock to Sydney. Was booked in a cheap economy fare. When I arrived at the airport, I went to the business check-in (Im OW Emerald). My bag was given the business tag and without a word being said, I was handed a boarding pass in business. Perhaps the check-in agent was being discreet, but it didnt seem that she was aware of an upgrade.

Now I assume the flight was oversold but it seems strange to me that they would know this at check-in time. On AA for example, I have only ever been upgraded because of oversell at the gate, when they know how many 'no-shows' they have. Even stranger, I had ordered a special meal and this was available, with my name on it, as a business class meal (with a choice of entrees) - so clearly, they knew they were upgrading me way in advance.

So just wondered if this is normal on Qantas?
I assume you are a male with better looking hair than Rod Blagojevich
Old Jan 14, 2009, 2:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ►QFWP/LTG►VA WP►HyattExpl.►HiltonGold►ALL Silver
While Qantas don't really oversell on this route, they see the J seats as saleable on (high) WHY fares when Business class sales are low and coach sales are high.

They then generally upgrade high status PAX to the J seats.
Old Jan 14, 2009, 3:40 pm

Programs: DJ, QF, SPG, Hilton
Just smile and make sure you provide enough for the Op-up God sacrifice...

P.S. When I flew this route a while ago, SYD-AYQ was full in business, and there was no one else on the return. The return was on a weekday though whereas the outbound was the beginning of a long weekend.
Old Jan 14, 2009, 4:10 pm

Programs: QF WP LTG PC+,OW Emerald
I've had a similar experience once. Nothing was said either. I put it down to the fact that I had received a $xxx voucher from Qantas with a "We are real sorry we ..." for the last flight I took. So I wondered if they marked me to be upgraded next segment but did not tell me incase it could not be done on capacity constraints.

btw the $xxx voucher from Qantas with a "We are real sorry we ..." was given without any complaint or asking after the baggage dispute delayed flights and I was only gold then.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.