Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Seat assignment advice

Search this Thread

Old Jan 5, 2009, 10:28 pm

Programs: Qantas FF Bronze
Please excuse my ignorance here - I'm quite new to the world of airline travel.

In this thread members have mentioned that they have been able to check and see which seats are currently available for these flights - namely QF 4.
Are these 'current seating allocation maps' accessible to the general public or only those who work in the industry?

I know with the American Airlines website, even when making a phantom booking, you can see which seats are still available on their flights, however this is not a feature with the Qantas website unless you have purchased a ticket and the flight is less then 24 hours away from departure - ie. online check in.

Is my understanding of the above correct??
Thanks.

Last edited by Adam1; Jan 5, 2009 at 10:37 pm
Old Jan 5, 2009, 10:45 pm

Programs: QF WP LTG, HHonors Diamond, NZ Gold
Originally Posted by Adam1
Please excuse my ignorance here - I'm quite new to the world of airline travel.

In this thread members have mentioned that they have been able to check and see which seats are currently available for these flights - namely QF 4.
Are these 'current seating allocation maps' accessible to the general public or only those who work in the industry?
Hi Adam1,

I generally use ExpertFlyer to discover which seats are still available - this is a subscription service. Occasionally the Airline will block a particular cabin's details from being available to EF.

Regards,

BD
Old Jan 5, 2009, 10:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ►QFWP/LTG►VA WP►HyattExpl.►HiltonGold►ALL Silver
Try www.checkmytrip.com ...
Old Jan 6, 2009, 4:16 am

Wife and I are on two separate rows...

Not sure on the rules about the thread, but considering it is seat assignment advice, I don't mean to jump in and highjack it, but I also have a seat assignment advice question

I have a flight AKL-LHR via SYD on QF, I got seats together for the AKL-SYD sector, but QF couldn't guarantee seats together for the SYD-LHR flight.

They assigned us on two separate rows. The wife is not into this at all and either am I to be honest.

We got the premium economy seats on the A380 (business was a little pricey), so would like to enjoy a small bit of luxury together. Anyone got any suggestions? The flight is next month btw.
Old Jan 6, 2009, 4:29 am

Programs: QF WP, VA, AA
Originally Posted by festis21
Not sure on the rules about the thread, but considering it is seat assignment advice, I don't mean to jump in and highjack it, but I also have a seat assignment advice question

I have a flight AKL-LHR via SYD on QF, I got seats together for the AKL-SYD sector, but QF couldn't guarantee seats together for the SYD-LHR flight.

They assigned us on two separate rows. The wife is not into this at all and either am I to be honest.

We got the premium economy seats on the A380 (business was a little pricey), so would like to enjoy a small bit of luxury together. Anyone got any suggestions? The flight is next month btw.
First, jump on www.checkmytrip.com as noted by serfty in a post above (just plug your Amadeus booking reference and surname, you should be shown flight details, and a little + sign should be displayed with a notation along the lines of 'further information'. Click it, and the seat map/assignments should show).

If there a couple of 'free' seats to your liking, note them, and ring Qantas and ask if you can be assigned them.

There is a chance you may not be able to change if a certain %age of the flight is already allocated but worth a go.
Old Jan 6, 2009, 4:38 am

Originally Posted by tuapekastar
First, jump on www.checkmytrip.com .
Did that.. and it told me the A380 isn't supported
Old Jan 6, 2009, 5:37 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Just check back every now and then and see if there are 2 seats together available. If there are, they will move you. Failing that ask at check in and ( if you have lounge access ) in the lounge; hopefully something will turn up

As a last resort, try and ensure that one of you has a window and the other has an aisle and then see whether you can get one of the people next to you to swap once onboard.

Dave
Old Jan 6, 2009, 2:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Did that.. and it told me the A380 isn't supported

I have flights booked on the A388 and www.checkmytrip.com happily returns booking detail along with seats maps!

What is the date of your flight from SYD to London?
Old Jan 8, 2009, 4:39 am

Didnt see your post, end of February is the flight.
I didnt see the "upper level" button... clicked it and saw that the plane is full in premium eco... :-(

Updating this message: Finally figured out checkmytrip... :-) First time I checked, it was full, checked an hour later out of curiosity, 2 seats available together! Called Qantas, booked the seats!! Great success!! Thanks for your help guys!!! :-)

Last edited by festis21; Jan 8, 2009 at 6:51 am
Old Jan 8, 2009, 9:50 am

Hey guys, just browsing through the site/ forums.... noticed this thread and started playing around with checkmytrip.com

anyway all my flights come up but with no seat maps.... any ideas?!
Old Jan 8, 2009, 10:38 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by jimma
Hey guys, just browsing through the site/ forums.... noticed this thread and started playing around with checkmytrip.com

Unless you have a seat assigned , the CMT does not show maps. If you are taking an international flight, phone QF and get a seat selected and then CMT will show it

Dave
Old Jan 8, 2009, 2:02 pm

Programs: DJ, QF, SPG, Hilton
It can be confusing at CMT even if you do have a seat assigned. I somehow remember that the seat was shown on screen by default with the flight details. Now, the seats are hidden in one of the 'optional' sections which you have to click to expand and see.
Old Jan 8, 2009, 5:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Once 'logged' into C/M/T look to the bottom of the "your flight selection" box for:
[+]view details click to see additional information including price, payment and flight special requests.
Click the "[+]view details" and the window will expand and you may see any seat pre-selection there. If you do see a seat number, click that/those and you may get a seat map.
Old Jan 8, 2009, 7:41 pm

Cheers for you help guys.

I live in broome, Western Australia, i im going to london for 3 months starting july through to September.

anyway i have booked my flights from sydney just so i could go on the A380...
have just found out ( through checkmy trip.com that there has been an aircraft change already....

is it possible that this will change again before i leave?!

im pretty dissapointed because ive paid for PE and fly from BME-PER-MEL-SYD just for the A380 !!

haha is there much i can do ??
Old Jan 9, 2009, 5:28 am

Hi Jimma... I have to admit it was my own fault I didn't see the seat maps before.. but when you click on the seat number choice, then a map shows up of the plane correct? Well in my case it wasn't showing.. becaaaaaaaause I had the premium economy and had to click on "upper deck" map... kind of stupid on my part.. but you live and you learn.. is that the problem for you? upper deck??

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.