Wiki Posts
Search

B737, B767 to get Panasonic IFE?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 19, 2008, 5:22 pm
Original Poster

Programs: QF Platinum, VA Gold
B737, B767 to get Panasonic IFE?

I'm not sure if this has been posted before - nothing came up in search - but according to a PC World article, some of the QF domestic fleet are due to get Panasonic eFX IFE (similar to what's installed in the A380) next year.

Relevant quote:

And Qantas is not limiting it to the A380s. The systems will feature in Qantas' next batch of B737-800 aircraft (which will use the Panasonic eFX system) for both its Business and Economy customers, due in March 2009; its B787 or 'Dreamliner' aircraft also due next year; and on some of its older but soon-to-be revamped B767-300 fleet.
Old Oct 19, 2008, 7:03 pm

Programs: QF Plat, BD*S, Hertz 5
I would be really surprised if the 763/738 fleet recieved personal IFE but I could see it being used in main screen systems.

Thansk for the link, interesting stuff.
Old Oct 19, 2008, 7:16 pm
Original Poster

Programs: QF Platinum, VA Gold
Originally Posted by sailrob81
I would be really surprised if the 763/738 fleet recieved personal IFE but I could see it being used in main screen systems.

Thansk for the link, interesting stuff.
You're right, it doesn't look like the eFX system is AVOD - to quote the Panasonic website:

eFX is fully digital system to modernize your analog systems delivering the same entertainment, connectivity, and productivity tools in a sleek, single-aisle package.
Apologies for implying that it was.
Old Oct 19, 2008, 10:43 pm

Programs: DL Plat, NZ Elite, QF Plat
I wouldn't have thought it too much of a stretch for QF to install AVOD in the 737's and 767's. NZ are refurbishing all their A320's and 763's with AVOD. Would have thought that was a bit of competitive incentive for QF to do the same.
Old Oct 19, 2008, 10:50 pm

Programs: NZ Koru
Originally Posted by NZ_Flyer
I wouldn't have thought it too much of a stretch for QF to install AVOD in the 737's and 767's. NZ are refurbishing all their A320's and 763's with AVOD. Would have thought that was a bit of competitive incentive for QF to do the same.
I think by the look of it NZ installed the eFX2 Panasonic system. I dont think QF will be updating the 767s to AVOD if they just got the new A332 for domestic with out PTVs.

With Qantas only having AVOD on QF25/26 on the tassie it sure makes me think again before looking at flying QF.
Old Oct 19, 2008, 11:38 pm

Programs: Virgin Australia Velocity Gold
Old news...

Qantas will be launching a new domestic product early next year to coincide with the delivery of the new 737-800s.

Expect to see new seats in Business and Economy and a new IFE system - which could very well be PTVs with AVOD ^

Cheers
Old Oct 20, 2008, 2:24 am

Programs: QF. UA. Avis. AMEX.
QF would do well to bring any launch forward and include the Q400's and 717's at the same time. They need all the good PR they can get at the moment and even if they only have a handful of planes flying by xmas with the new product it might calm those who are looking elsewhere. I hope they run it gate to gate like NZ does.
Old Oct 21, 2008, 2:49 am

Programs: DL Gold, QF, VA, CI
Originally Posted by notzac
You're right, it doesn't look like the eFX system is AVOD - to quote the Panasonic website:
eFX is AVOD. Delta Airlines uses it for its Delta on Demand entertainment system and so does Virgin America on its Red BETA.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.