Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Qantas | Frequent Flyer
Reload this Page >

Difference in Taxes on BA/AA Award Ticket

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 22, 2008, 11:06 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA PLT, 3MM, DL Plat, Hertz PC, SPG Gold

I'm looking at one-way award tickets from LHR-JFK (Business Class) in October.

Taxes on the BA flights total 210 Pounds. Taxes on AA filghts total 109.50 Pounds.

Can anyone explain the discrepancy?
Old Sep 22, 2008, 11:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
A fuel surcharge of £98 and an insurance surcharge of £2.50 are levied by BA, but obviously not by AA.

Or, at least, that is the inference I draw, given that the numbers are exactly right.
Old Sep 22, 2008, 3:52 pm

Programs: DL Plat, NZ Elite, QF Plat
Surely the extra 100 pounds is worth flying BA Club World over whatever AA has for business class?
Old Sep 22, 2008, 4:58 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by NZ_Flyer
Surely the extra 100 pounds is worth flying BA Club World over whatever AA has for business class?
Hardly

There is nothing wrong with AA business class at all for a daytime flight across to New York. The seats are , imo, a bit better than QF skybeds and more than pleasant enough for the hop across the pond. the service has AVOD

Recent experience of mine on the major AA 3 class routes is also that the staff are decent too and I'd have no hesitation about saving GBP100 and taking AA

Dave
Old Sep 22, 2008, 9:34 pm

Programs: AAdvantage EXP
The main problem I have with AA business class is the food. I skipped it entirely flying JFK-LHR and mrssimongr reported it as inedible.

But like DN says - GBP100 is worth saving for a day time flight.
Old Sep 23, 2008, 5:25 am

Originally Posted by simongr
The main problem I have with AA business class is the food. I skipped it entirely flying JFK-LHR and mrssimongr reported it as inedible.

But like DN says - GBP100 is worth saving for a day time flight.
I have not had any issues with the meals on AA on the transatlatic runs at all

Dave
Old Sep 23, 2008, 9:05 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA PLT, 3MM, DL Plat, Hertz PC, SPG Gold
Change of plans-----looks like I will cough up an extra 25K points and travel LHR-JFK in F.

Still a difference of 100 Pounds in taxes/fees between BA and AA. I think I will save the money and go with AA.
Old Sep 24, 2008, 5:27 am

Programs: BA Gold(OWE), QF LTG, MR Plat, IHG Spire, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Dave Noble
There is nothing wrong with AA business class at all for a daytime flight across to New York.
Have we been on the same AA and QF aircraft?

The AA seat whilst a major step up from before is definitely not better than the QF seat. The only benefit the AA seat has is that the arm rests drop and nothing more than that. The rest of the seat feels pretty cheap and is definitely less comfortable than the SkyBed.

Otherwise, yes I agree that 100 AUD/GBP/USD is worth the savings for a day flight when compared to BA as AA is not as bad as some pundits make out.
Old Sep 24, 2008, 5:47 am

Originally Posted by Traveloguy
Have we been on the same AA and QF aircraft?

The AA seat whilst a major step up from before is definitely not better than the QF seat. The only benefit the AA seat has is that the arm rests drop and nothing more than that. The rest of the seat feels pretty cheap and is definitely less comfortable than the SkyBed.
Well, I have used both the 763 and 777 AA new business class and prefer it to skybed. I find it just as comfortable and there is more tray space to put things.

I even like the AA F seat with its swivel around into 3 positions

Dave
Old Sep 24, 2008, 5:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Given that the OP is now thinking of saving £100 by flying AA first class rather than BA first class, would you think that was a false economy?
Old Sep 24, 2008, 6:18 am

Programs: BA Gold(OWE), QF LTG, MR Plat, IHG Spire, Hertz PC
Well, I have used both the 763 and 777 AA new business class and prefer it to skybed. I find it just as comfortable and there is more tray space to put things.

Dave
I am even more surprised you like the tray. The current design means that it needs to be put away should a pax wish to get over you to access the aisle. It also feels pretty cheap. FWIW, the idea is nice in principle, but in practise IMHO it is poorly implemented. I should point out that I have only been on new J on a 763 so as always YMMV.
Old Sep 24, 2008, 11:48 am

Originally Posted by Globaliser
Given that the OP is now thinking of saving £100 by flying AA first class rather than BA first class, would you think that was a false economy?
I would have no concerns with AA F and found it quite nicely designed and am using it on ORD-LHR in a cpl of weeks time. I would save the GBP100 too.

Dave
Old Sep 24, 2008, 8:46 pm

Programs: AAdvantage EXP

Dave
I actually prefer the AA F to the current QF F seat.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.