Community
Wiki Posts
Search

How early to turn up for exit row?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 28, 2008, 3:52 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP, UA 1K
Question How early to turn up for exit row?

This weekend I'll be flying Qantas from SYD-LAX. As I bought the ticket after the seat map closed (or so they said on the phone), they were unable to assign me a seat.

Basically my question is, how early should I turn up at SYD for a good chance at a seat in row 16? Are these seats allocated before check-in to QF elites so I shouldn't bother?
Old Aug 28, 2008, 4:05 am

Programs: QF WP, Starwood Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, Avis President's Club, Amex Platinum
Originally Posted by croberts134
This weekend I'll be flying Qantas from SYD-LAX. As I bought the ticket after the seat map closed (or so they said on the phone), they were unable to assign me a seat.

Basically my question is, how early should I turn up at SYD for a good chance at a seat in row 16? Are these seats allocated before check-in to QF elites so I shouldn't bother?
Only QF Platinums or CL can allocate these seats before checkin and they normally are always taken. BUT they also often open up at checkin as these people will be the first to have their upgrades to First clear ...
Old Aug 28, 2008, 9:24 pm

Programs: QFF Gold, Velocity, *Alliance
Originally Posted by croberts134

Basically my question is, how early should I turn up at SYD for a good chance at a seat in row 16?
My view is always turn up early it is your best chance to get a good seat on the day. Our daughter just arrived back from the US and Canada (BNE/LAX/BNE) this week. She had award seats with my points and hence my status and had an exit row there and back and both allocations were from the business counter downstairs, not via the lounge.

So, get there early, charm them and try your luck!!
Old Aug 29, 2008, 12:45 am

Programs: QFF Gold, Velocity + Miles & More
Exit seats and QF can be a very frustrating thing! Your best bet is get there early and be nice to the checking agent. From my experience and to my announce status plays no part unless you are QF Platinum.
Old Aug 29, 2008, 3:51 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by hobarthoney
Exit seats and QF can be a very frustrating thing! Your best bet is get there early and be nice to the checking agent. From my experience and to my announce status plays no part unless you are QF Platinum.
I was the first person to check in and didn't get an exit row. The people behind me did. The staffmember in question had a smarmy attitude and made a racist comment ( my father was in the RAAF but has a Polish accent) 'well they might do that in Poland but not in Australia.'

In the lounge the lass told me that there were free seats and allocated them to us. She (by chance) was Polish-Australian and agreed with us that the person was racist.

I think it is sad but I've found this attitude a number of times only with Qantas, especially when dealing with asian customers. Your best chance if you are a white Australian female.
Old Aug 29, 2008, 4:01 am
Hvr

Programs: QF LTG:
One way to check in early (before official opening time) is to fly from another location, e.g. CBR-MEL-NRT and you will get your boarding pass for the international sector. At this point you can ask for the exit row .

If the GA cannot assist you then you can always ask in the Qantas Club. On my last international trip this approach was very successful.
Old Aug 29, 2008, 5:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Exp|VA Platinum
Originally Posted by Planetary
The staffmember in question had a smarmy attitude and made a racist comment ( my father was in the RAAF but has a Polish accent) 'well they might do that in Poland but not in Australia.'
I think in fairness to QF if you are going to accuse them of racism then you might like to explain the situation in detail a bit better.

Also I would be interested in knowing how a check-in agent knew he was Polish assuming he was travelling on an Australian passport I doubt many would be able to tell the difference between any eastern European accent.
Old Aug 29, 2008, 6:51 am
og
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: QF WP/LTG | UA P
Originally Posted by Planetary
I was the first person to check in and didn't get an exit row. The people behind me did...
It is hard enough to see the seat number on your own boarding pass let alone someone elses - especially at check-in. In any case, the exit row seat may well have opened up just as the second person checked in.
Old Aug 29, 2008, 1:17 pm
In Memoriam

Programs: Mucci
Originally Posted by og
It is hard enough to see the seat number on your own boarding pass let alone someone elses - especially at check-in. In any case, the exit row seat may well have opened up just as the second person checked in.
They might also have had it pre-allocated, although if they were WP they should have been in the F check-in line rather than with the plebs, so maybe not....

Dave

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.