Wiki Posts
Search

Passenger insisted on taking my seat

Search this Thread

Old May 27, 2008, 3:49 am
Original Poster

Programs: QF LTG, TG *P, IHG P
Passenger insisted on taking my seat

Recently on a flight from NZ to OZ in J the purser told me that my aisle seat had been taken by a passenger who wouldn't move and I'd have to sit in the window seat.

When I got to my assigned seat I said to the passenger in it that I understood that he was insisting on taking my seat and he replied yes.

He didn't appear to have any status and kept insisting that he asked for an aisle seat and that as he wasn't given one he was taking mine.

Considering the enormous amount of flying I do in Qantas in J & F this was very shabby treatment from the purser.
Old May 27, 2008, 4:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ►QFWP/LTG►VA WP►HyattExpl.►HiltonGold►ALL Silver
I would start by making an official complaint with Qantas; If you do not they will never know.

It's not good enough for the purser to present you with a fait accompli - it may help them in getting the flight off in time but to simply tell you makes it seems to me there's a bit more to it; you'll probably never know.

I have a feeling the PAX boarded before you and complained about not getting the aisle seat; the CSM decided to not fight it. They probably did not check the manifest to see your WP status.

Last edited by serfty; May 27, 2008 at 5:39 am
Old May 27, 2008, 4:24 am
NM

Programs: AA Plat & LTG; QF LTG
I would have sat quietly steaming in my non-aisle seat, and then complained to the CSD in private (in the galley) to make it very clear that I was very dissatisfied. And then written a letter to Qantas explaining the situation and see how they respond.
Old May 27, 2008, 4:35 am

Programs: QF SQ VS
s..t,

I wouldnt have copped that. I'd have tipped hot coffee all over him and given him an oh, I'm sorry.

hvb
Old May 27, 2008, 4:46 am

Programs: BA Gold, QF LTG+LTQP
Or insisted in climbing over him at every possible opportunity... hoping that some of the less pleasant gastric effects of altitude would take effect at an inopportune moment...
Old May 27, 2008, 6:24 am
og
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: QF WP/LTG | UA P
Originally Posted by HVB3172
I wouldnt have copped that. I'd have tipped hot coffee all over him and given him an oh, I'm sorry.
My thoughts exactly.
Old May 27, 2008, 6:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Exp|VA Platinum
It doesn't instill much confidence in how the CSM would handle an emergency on an unruly passenger when they can't even get people in their correct seats.
Old May 27, 2008, 6:57 am

Programs: SG, PR, Avis Preferred and so on
Yep. No dice for me i would have refused to take my seat unless I was sitting in MY seat! I dont care if I have been allocated 1C or 26C it is my seat! I dont care if the dude is a senile old prick or mother teresa, NB or below, a CL or Kevin Rudd

You are a kinder man than I, that would be like sport to me! I would have had the CSM announce that we could shut the front door and push back as soon as Mr whoever shifted his fat ... to the seat he had been booked in

Still, the response from Qantas should be good, let us know the outcome!
Old May 27, 2008, 7:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: LH HON, BA Gold, EK Gold
I wouldn't have taken that. I would have insisted on my seat and would have waited until the captain offloads the pax sitting in "my" seat.
Old May 27, 2008, 9:00 am
Moderator: Coupon Connection & S.P.A.M

Programs: Destination Unknown, TSA Disparager Diamond (LTDD)
Originally Posted by Rambuster
I wouldn't have taken that. I would have insisted on my seat and would have waited until the captain offloads the pax sitting in "my" seat.
I'd have gone one further and offered to remove the passenger with the captain's permission.

"Guess where you're NOT sitting?" "My seat!"
Old May 27, 2008, 9:07 am

Programs: BA Gold, QF LTG+LTQP
Sitting in my seat *AND* had BP with my name on it...

I guess it was time someone reminded him that he wasn't Goldilocks...

What should I have done the once when I boarded a BD flight to AMS and a guy was there who already had my BP?

It suddenly dawned on my why I had so much trouble getting to the plane - kiosk wouldn't check me in, BP scanner "beeped" when I was boarding saying I was already on board etc. But still nobody cared, because I was the real me...
Old May 27, 2008, 1:59 pm
Moderator: Asiana & Qantas Frequent Flyer
Aman Contributor Badge

Programs: QF Lifetime SG, LH HON, OZ Lifetime Diamond +, HH Diamond, Marriott Lifetime Platinum
The same thing happened to little_flyer on our party aehm work flight from SYD-BNE for the AGM in February.
Old May 27, 2008, 2:08 pm

Programs: DJ, QF, SPG, Hilton
I'd a similar flight. While the passenger didn't plant his as* and refuse to move, the staff did seem overly helpful and allowed people to move wherever they wanted. The staff also had no idea about the load of the flight, let alone passengers with status. In my flight, the staff encouraged people to move, but the flight was actually full, so no real benefit in moving anywhere.

I thought it's a safety thing that people had to stay in their assigned seats during take-off and landing?
Old May 27, 2008, 2:25 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some
I would have complained afterwards.

A recent flight I had someone in my aisle seat. They complained they always got an aisle seat and thought the BP just got mixed up That trick might work on a first time flyer but certainly won't with me. Thankfully they quickly accepted my right to the aisle seat and moved over to their window seat.
Old May 27, 2008, 2:27 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some
Originally Posted by bdmaus
I guess it was time someone reminded him that he wasn't Goldilocks...

What should I have done the once when I boarded a BD flight to AMS and a guy was there who already had my BP?

It suddenly dawned on my why I had so much trouble getting to the plane - kiosk wouldn't check me in, BP scanner "beeped" when I was boarding saying I was already on board etc. But still nobody cared, because I was the real me...
I had this happen once before. Turned out the other passenger had the same surname and the check in agent failed to check their ID properly. Caused a delay to the flight to sort out as that error too was only identified on boarding.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.