Wiki Posts
Search

HBA-SYD-NRT transfer question

Search this Thread

Old May 7, 2008, 2:04 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Hyatt LT Globalist, Marriott LT Titanium, AA Plat Pro/LT Plat
HBA-SYD-NRT transfer question

I'm looking at taking QF1020 to connect with QF21. Can my bags be through checked? Will I clear outgoing immigration at HBA or SYD? Since it's an almost 10 hour connection, I'd like to leave the airport and am wondering about the logistics. Thanks!
Old May 7, 2008, 2:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Nah.
I would say yes to checking the bags on the connection, but 10 hours is a long time. You can ask at checkin, but I'm not sure what QF's limit is--I've checked bags through with longer than 10 hours on other airlines, just not QF.

You will clear immigration when leaving SYD since QF1020 is a domestic flight.
Old May 7, 2008, 2:54 pm
In Memoriam

Programs: Mucci
Since your HBA-SYD flight is domestic, you will clear outbound immigration at SYD. Your bags will be through checked. HBA-SYD will be a purely domestic flight.

Please free to leave the airport, and get into SYD and to some touristy stuff.

Dave
Old May 7, 2008, 3:02 pm
Original Poster

The reason I asked about immigration was because I saw on this thread http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=816268 where someone mentioned flying MEL-SYD-SFO and going through immigration at MEL.

Thanks to you both!
Old May 7, 2008, 4:58 pm

Programs: QF Plat | UA MP
I suspect in that case the MEL-SYD flight was a domestic leg of an international flight, with flight # < 400. Therefore C&I clearance would have been in MEL.
Old May 7, 2008, 5:25 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Shano
I suspect in that case the MEL-SYD flight was a domestic leg of an international flight, with flight # < 400. Therefore C&I clearance would have been in MEL.
Thanks for the clarification. Is that only the case when the flight continues on the same #?
Old May 7, 2008, 5:55 pm
Original Poster

Forgot to ask, what time should I get back to SYD by to allow enough time for immigration, security, etc. (flying in J if that helps).
Old May 7, 2008, 6:11 pm

Programs: BA Gold(OWE), QF LTG, MR Plat, IHG Spire, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by PhilC
Thanks for the clarification. Is that only the case when the flight continues on the same #?
No. People catch domestic sectors of other international bound flights and transfer all the time.

In this case, as you depart from the international terminal, you clear customs in airport where you commence your journey.
Old May 7, 2008, 6:18 pm

Programs: QFF (Gold), Skywards, Rapid Rewards,United, Velocity, Hilton Silver
Forgot to ask, what time should I get back to SYD by to allow enough time for immigration, security, etc. (flying in J if that helps).
Your flights scheduled departure is 9:55pm so checkin for business will close at 8:55pm.

Security should not be too long as you are the second last flight of the night. Cathay also flying at same time to Hongkong.

I would be walking into the terminal no later than 8:30pm
Old May 8, 2008, 12:49 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Traveloguy
No. People catch domestic sectors of other international bound flights and transfer all the time.

In this case, as you depart from the international terminal, you clear customs in airport where you commence your journey.
So is my understanding correct that where you clear immigration is dictated by whether your transfer is all within the international terminal vs domestic to international terminal? Does this apply the other way around? I'm also looking at LAX-BNE-CNS on QF176 connecting to QF69. Since QF69 departs from the international terminal at BNE, does this mean I clear immigration at CNS? I've never been to Australia before so please bear with me
Old May 8, 2008, 12:54 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Lonely Flyer
Your flights scheduled departure is 9:55pm so checkin for business will close at 8:55pm.

Security should not be too long as you are the second last flight of the night. Cathay also flying at same time to Hongkong.

I would be walking into the terminal no later than 8:30pm
Thanks!
Old May 8, 2008, 4:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ►QFWP/LTG►VA WP►HyattExpl.►HiltonGold►ALL Silver
... I'm also looking at LAX-BNE-CNS on QF176 connecting to QF69. Since QF69 departs from the international terminal at BNE, does this mean I clear immigration at CNS? ...
Yes, you would need to follow the transit PAX signs at BNE international.
Old May 8, 2008, 5:57 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by serfty
Yes, you would need to follow the transit PAX signs at BNE international.
Thank you!
Old May 9, 2008, 3:02 am

Programs: Muccihood de la Rotisserie Doree, BAEC Gold, SAS Eurobonus basic, Ansett Golden Wing :-(
I'm looking at taking QF1020 to connect with QF21. Can my bags be through checked? Will I clear outgoing immigration at HBA or SYD? Since it's an almost 10 hour connection, I'd like to leave the airport and am wondering about the logistics. Thanks!
I have taken the 1020 out of Hobart a few times in the past year and never had any problem having my bags through checked onto the afternoon QF or BA flights onto London, always on a separate PNR. Those flights involved a 4+ hour layover in Sydney - my bags always showed up in London (even on BA!).

A few weeks ago I enjoyed a 2 hour lunch in Potts Pt with friends during the layover; arriving back at the airport an hour prior to the flight (since you will already be checked in) would not cause you any problems, and still give you time for a drink in the lounge.

James

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.