Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Qantas | Frequent Flyer
Reload this Page >

"Domestic" (International) to International Transfer

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 23, 2008, 7:08 am
Original Poster

If I use a domestic sector on an international flight, e.g. BNE-SYD via JQ18, then connect to a true international flight (e.g. SYD-AKL), then...

a) Can I check in all at once at BNE, clear immigration there, then just walk to the new gate at SYD? If not, what is the correct procedure?
b) What is the minimum transfer time between flights?

I can't find this on the QF website...or once again my searching skills have let me down. Well, there is one FAQ re: Jetstar flights, but the answer doesn't shed much light on this esoteric case....
Old Apr 23, 2008, 8:43 am

Programs: QF Plat & LTG, VA Plat
I don't know that JQ would interline your baggage in this scenario - others are better placed to comment on that.

I have done a similar transfer all on QF though (MEL-SYD-SFO) and you do all your immigration in MEL, when you get to SYD you go through the flight transfer centre and get re-screened (I know, this is kinda ridiculous) which can be quite slow, so move fast to maximise duty free and lounge time.

Don't know the minimum allowed connection time, but if they are seperate itineraries I would allow several hours in case JQ was delayed, as you would not be protected.

I really would recommend taking the direct flight unless you are in dire need of SC's. (I presume this is a *class run)
Old Apr 23, 2008, 12:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ►QFWP/LTG►VA WP►HyattExpl.►HiltonGold►ALL Silver
If you have baggage, for it be through checked (transferred) your flights must be in the same booking (ie. Have the same booking reference number).

See here:
I can't find much at all about this on Qantas.com; there's not even mention of a transfer desk in SYD.

My thoughts are that if you are considering using JQ18 you will have to do the BNE-SYD thing with a 'D' sticker, then go out though arrivals, check-in upstairs, then back through emigration. In which case I'd allow 3 hours minimum.

If your BNE-SYD flight was QF the doing a) would be a piece of cake.
Old Apr 24, 2008, 2:46 am

Programs: Hertz PC, QF Plat, Velocity Gold, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold
I am 99% sure you will have to do the BNE-SYD flight as a domestic flight, collect your bags etc in SYD, then re-check in for the true international flight with your bags
Old Apr 24, 2008, 8:38 pm

Programs: QF Platinum, VA Gold
Originally Posted by AndDee
I am 99% sure you will have to do the BNE-SYD flight as a domestic flight, collect your bags etc in SYD, then re-check in for the true international flight with your bags
possibly baggage could be through-checked, but i'm fairly certain you'd need to "clear customs" in SYD and then check in and do the immigration thing for the onwards flight to AKL.

frankly, i'd avoid using the JQ flight and just do the regular domestic-to-international transfer in SYD. less opportunity for something to go wrong.
Old Apr 24, 2008, 9:27 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by notzac
possibly baggage could be through-checked, but i'm fairly certain you'd need to "clear customs" in SYD and then check in and do the immigration thing for the onwards flight to AKL.

frankly, i'd avoid using the JQ flight and just do the regular domestic-to-international transfer in SYD. less opportunity for something to go wrong.
If the baggage can be checked through, then there would be no need whatsoever to go through immigration or customs and it would be a simple case of passing through security to get to departures

I cannot see what extra there could be to go wrong; worst case, has to collect bags on arrival and check in for the international flight

Dave

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.