Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Qantas | Frequent Flyer
Reload this Page >

Qantas keeps it head low in the news lately

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Qantas keeps it head low in the news lately

Search this Thread

Old May 15, 2019, 8:08 pm
og
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: QF WP/LTG | UA P
Originally Posted by Aspen
Yes, yes yes, I know the twin engine aeroplanes are very reliable but personally I prefer the redundancy of four engine aeroplanes, one engine out on a 747 - I'd go back to sleep, one engine out on a twin - probably not going back to sleep.
Aren’t there more redundancies on an ETOPS twin than on a 4 engine jet? And things such as better fire suppression systems and so on?
Old May 16, 2019, 4:51 pm

Originally Posted by Aspen
Well, of course, there was a FTer on the flight in question. ^

You certainly picked good first time to be on a 747, with one engine out of four inoperative I barely would have woken from my sleep but because you were an eyewitness on board you gave us a first hand account that the loud bang startled all the passengers and the constant shaking meant that not too many people would be going back to sleep.

Yes, yes yes, I know the twin engine aeroplanes are very reliable but personally I prefer the redundancy of four engine aeroplanes, one engine out on a 747 - I'd go back to sleep, one engine out on a twin - probably not going back to sleep.
I definitely did not fall back asleep. It wasn’t the same as rolling turbulence that helps you snooze. 😛

Also, they reduced our speed from 600 mph to 450 mph from what I could see on the IFE, so probably would have take a whole lot longer to get to SYD.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.