Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Qantas | Frequent Flyer
Reload this Page >

Citibank Referrals - ex WBC et al thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Citibank Referrals - ex WBC et al thread

Search this Thread

Old Jun 12, 2004, 12:08 am
Original Poster

Location: Brisbane (BNE), Australia, QF/VA Forums Meeting Organiser
Programs: VA Plat, QF Gold (97.4% LTG), QP Life, AA (66% LTG). HH Diamond. Amex Plat, Visa Plat
Thumbs up Update #5

Well, I would like to thank CB (and one (or two) of the FT'ers from my referrral list - the exact person(s) is/are unknown), who assisted me (and themselves) to 10K points - I logged on this morning to see the start of a healthy balance again...

Last edited by QF WP; Jun 17, 2004 at 8:44 pm Reason: correct update #
Old Jun 12, 2004, 10:38 am

Programs: Elite Diamond Purple Dot Gold Silver Titanium for life
Still didnt get your appl qfwp ;( (maybe on the next card??? )
applied for a plat card through their website last week and got the confirmation today

"Welcome to Citibank! We are pleased to advise that your recent request for a Citibank Platinum Visa Card has been approved. You have chosen the world's most recognised credit card, accepted in more than 22 million locations worldwide."

thanks for tipping me off about them, but the non-existant bonus points sucks... *please dont shoot*
Old Jun 17, 2004, 6:37 pm
Original Poster

Programs: VA Plat, QF Gold (97.4% LTG), QP Life, AA (66% LTG). HH Diamond. Amex Plat, Visa Plat
Angry Have a guess what arrived today!!

CB finally sent me the requested 2 Gold referrals (but no Plat referrals ), 3 weeks after I first requested them. Letter dated 16 June.

They lost me 10K in referral points...not a very happy QF WP

Now to work on my parents and brother for Plat cards...

Last edited by QF WP; Jun 17, 2004 at 6:39 pm Reason: smilies problem
Old Jun 17, 2004, 7:30 pm

QFWP
You should have received your 10K from my card acceptance by now.
I can see my 10K on line now.
Old Jun 17, 2004, 8:43 pm
Original Poster

Unhappy Update #6 - slow referral points

roho, thanks for th heads up.

According to my Update #4 back on 29 May, I'd got 10K in points from RichardMEL and kpc's brother (5K each as they got Gold).

My post in early June showed another 10K popping up, it's either from you or GoldFlyer....although you get your points imediately, mine only post 21 days later... I think it's more like 42 days later. I'm stil waiting fo the other 10K to pop up (not there as of 15 minutes ago when I checked online).

Actually, a call to kawoh, itsalongwaydown, IainF, damian_h and kpc - have you applied and got your cards yet??

Last edited by QF WP; Jun 17, 2004 at 8:47 pm Reason: correct update #
Old Jun 18, 2004, 9:47 am

Programs: QF & NW Clubs. Will never buy another ticket on UA or US.
Other Benefits?

Good to see this topic has come up again Several years ago Citibank offered a range of perks with the Gold iCard (not the non-icards) that included free access to any Northwest Airlines Worldclub with presentation of the card and an Australian DL (see the thread http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=267062 from back then for details). I have never actually pushed them on this (might try it next time I am in MSP ) so can't guarantee its effectiveness. Still if anyone wants an iCard referal I can swing one your way.
Old Jun 18, 2004, 3:47 pm

Originally Posted by QF WP
Actually, a call to kawoh, itsalongwaydown, IainF, damian_h and kpc - have you applied and got your cards yet??
Hi QFWP, I ended up taking up another offer which didn't involve any expenditure on the card - it was a Citibank Gold Card, with free additional card for no annual fee for the first year... (and the 6.9% for 9 months if you needed it)...

So it was either 5,000 points or saving $129... i ended up going for the $129 saving as I felt it was worth more than 5,000 points to me.

I think what i'll do is stick with this card for another 10 months, and then go for either:

1/ Your platinum referral ($250 p.a. + $99 for the additional card)
2/ CBA platinum (seems to be some reasonable benefits there ($250 p.a. + $15 for the additional card)

Why I like CBA Platinum:

CBA platinum is the lower priced additional card holder, 4,000 points for test driving an Audi, 2 points per $1 with Flight Centre who will genuinely beat any competitor fare (unlike Harvey World travel who do 2 points per $1 with Citibank). Some good bonus partners too (like 5 points per $1 at Thrifty). Mastercard platinum privileges (though pretty crap).

Why I like Citibank Platinum:

Citibank loyalty program but you can get that with a Gold card too - don't know if you know but you get upgrades at a range of hotels around the world, cheaper dining through free wine, assured reservations at some fine restaurants, etc. With Citibank you can choose a Mastercard of Visa. The visa platinum service and benefits offering is in my view substantially better than that offered by the mastercard. The CBA Platinum only gives you the mastercard option. I also like Take Flight which allows you to get Harvey World to book revenue tickets for you using your award points at a rate of 100 points = $1. So if you can find a cheap sale fare out there....

Warning - Foreign Exchange Conversion Rates:

If you do travel overseas heaps, be warned about the Citibank credit cards. Their currency conversion rates at 2.3%, very high in comparison to many other credit cards. When you think you're earning good miles by using your card, you may actually just be paying for the points indirectly. The CBA Platinum and other CBA cards are 1.5%. So essentially you are paying 0.8% more in the purchase price of your goods overseas. Granted some of us value points at say 1-3c per point 0.8c for a point is OK, but be mindful, if you just had a CBA platinum, you would only be paying a conversion of 1.5%, if you spend say $20,000 per year overseas on cards, that equates to $160 in additional cost you are paying with Citibank over the CBA Platinum. If you are considering platinum and must go platinum, I would go for QFWP's offer in the first year then consider switching to a CBA Platinum for the 2nd year. The drawback with the CBA Platinum is it's a mastercard and I find the Visa Platinum benefits are more substantial than the benefits you get with Mastercard's platinum program.

Consider a credit card with a lower currency conversion rate and don't earn points (you could be saving):

If currency conversion is a big issue - consider some low interest credit cards from non-bank issuers, such as Members Equity (1.0% conversion rate, a saving 1.3% or on $20,000 per annum spend overseas = $260 annual saving but you won't get your points). The overseas ATM cash advance fee on this card is $4. The annual fee on the card is $30. The interest rate is 9.95% and you get 55 days interest free except on cash advances, but you can be in a credit balance. http://www.membersequity.com.au The better choice though would be the Encompass Credit Union Visa, which is also 1.0% conversion, but no annual fee on the card and cash advances overseas from ATMs are $2. You also get 55 days interest free on purchases and 9.0% p.a. interest rate. You can be in a credit balance though and just use it as a low cost cash advance facility overseas whilst getting you the Visa cash rate which is usually hard to be from overseas moneychangers. http://www.encompasscu.com.au

Points still valuable?:

I feel there are merits with having a visa or mastercard which earns you 1 to 1 in f/flyers, but also consider Amex... though not as widely accepted, Amex's rewards maximiser pays 1.5 points per $1... but is $144 p.a. plus $36 for additional card holders. The good thing about this card is, you can convert into a range of programs beyond just qantas, ie air nz, singapore, malaysia, as well as hotel programs - starwood points, hilton hhonors. If you do a search on google for the key word "frequent flyer" look at the google adwords results and you'll see an offer there from Amex offering you the rewards maximiser 1.5 points per $1 spent with No Annual Fee for the first year (saving $144).... but as stated, not everywhere is amex accepted so I would personally keep my visa/mastercad plus an amex card spare (at least for the next 12 months... $144 is pretty steep ongoing but a year free, is a year free). However, Amex like Citibank have horrendous 2%+ currency conversion fees, so I would opt as much to ue the Amex in Australia and if overseas - opt for the Amex over the Citibank if it's accepted.

The smart traveller:

Who spends on his card, would have:

* Citibank Gold or Platinum: QFWP's offer of the 5,000 or 10,000 bonus point referral (for a gold or visa respectively) or take advantage of the no annual fee offer I had (saving $99 + $30 for the additional card holder per year) and get a Citibank Gold or Platinum for the first year
* American Express Rewards Maximiser: At least for the first year, doing the google search and saving $144
* Encompass Credit Union Visa: No annual fee, 1.0% foreign conversion, cash advance overseas of $2, 9.0% pa interest rate if needed. This is the backup for quick overseas cash when needed and it doesn't slug you with high overseas cash advance fees like the former two cards of 1.5% or more on the cash advance amount!

After the first year, one would then revert to:

* CBA Platinum Mastercard: pay the annual fee of $250 + $15 for additional card holders. *unless* you value the Visa and Citibank benefits, then you might as well continue using that cad you have, if not, cancel those cards before renewal is due. 2 points per $1 with FlightCentre.
* Lose your American Express Rewards Maximiser: unless you are getting substantive value from it
* Maintain your Encompas Credit Union Visa.

-- I would note the words "smart traveller" being the key. A smart traveller has travel insurance, ideally covered by the credit card. The CBA Platinum and Citibank Gold and Platinums have such cover. This is why I haven't considered other credit cards in the equation. A 'smarter traveller' who spends plenty on revenue bookings, could go through flightcentre, and be better off with a CBA Platinum in the first year because $10,000 in travel expenses in a year equates to 10,000 extra points, this cancels out QFWP's offer in effect, any dollar more than that, and the CBA Platinum is definitely the way to go in year 1. In fact, based on currency conversions, it could be even less than that ($10,000 in travel bookings) remember with the Citibank Gold and Platinum, you are being slugged that extra 0.8% p.a. on foreign purchases and transactions MORE than the CBA Platinum. It's really up to your particular circumstance ...

Hope this all helps folks!

Last edited by kawoh; Jun 18, 2004 at 6:35 pm
Old Jun 19, 2004, 8:09 am

Programs: QF Platinum One (LTG), UA Plat IHG Plat
Uh QF WP you should have only got 5k from me, not 10k. I actually got a Silver and not a gold card (yes, I have reasons for this, but I won't bother to go into it here).

Yesterday I cut up my altitude visa and amex card. Stick that, eastpac.

I was very disappointed, incidently, that when I called to cancel my cards there was not a peep from them. Not even a "any reason why you've ditched us after 8 years of good business?" blah blah. Just a few seconds and "OK sir I've cancelled that for you now. You'll get a letter in a few days to confirm it" Ok, Bye!
Old Jun 19, 2004, 6:08 pm

I cancelled my westpac altitude last week, did you know if you cancel within 3 months of the date the annual fee was charged, they will refund it to you RichardMel....
Old Jun 20, 2004, 1:09 am

Yes I did. I called and asked them - the phone rep told me 2 months, but either way it seemed to be a fair and decent policy (surprisingly) by a big bank! As it is, my renewal was due June 17, and I cancelled June 15th, so it's not an issue for me (but I did keep that one in mind as being a potential issue). I just waited till I could transfer most of my remaining points out (I got 100 or so left over ) and then nuked it.
Old Jun 20, 2004, 3:12 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by RichardMEL
Uh QF WP you should have only got 5k from me, not 10k. I actually got a Silver and not a gold card (yes, I have reasons for this, but I won't bother to go into it here)
RichardMEL, I had previously written:
I would like to thank CB (and one (or two) of the FT'ers from my referrral list - the exact person(s) is/are unknown), who assisted me (and themselves) to 10K points
As it appears that you got your Silver and kpc's brother got his Gold card at around the same time, I'd say that's how I got my 2 x 5K referral bonus...you and he collectively got 10K in bonuses (I just probably didn't say it well enough the first time, because I wasn't sure whether I got 1 x 10K bonus or 2 x 5K bonus - as they don't tell you who was the referral).

Last edited by QF WP; Jun 20, 2004 at 3:14 am Reason: correcting bolding problem
Old Jun 20, 2004, 11:52 am

always happy to clear things up
Old Aug 23, 2004, 2:23 am
Original Poster

Exclamation Another Flyertalker makes the growing referral list

Many thanks to efc4, who joined the growing list of my referrals.

One of these days, I had bettter check with CB to see that they have been adding my referral points (I'm sure they have been adding yours, but they tell me it takes 21 days for mine to show up).

If I have any problems, I might need to contact my referrals for assistance (confirmation). It's not that I don't trust CB to add my points...

NM, any closer to making a decision??
Old Aug 23, 2004, 6:28 am

Programs: QR Platinum
Originally Posted by QF WP
One of these days, I had bettter check with CB to see that they have been adding my referral points (I'm sure they have been adding yours, but they tell me it takes 21 days for mine to show up).
Don't trust them - neither of my last two referrals has gone through properly. When the points are missing they ask you for the new cardholder's card number, which is a major pain. I got one lot sorted out but gave up on the other.

BTW, Citibank's annual fee has now gone up to $69 for a Silver card and $119 for Gold (was $55 and $99). The additional cardholder fee for the Silver card has also gone up from $10 to $15.

Steve
Old Aug 25, 2004, 10:12 pm

Really Steve? I hope they gave you the points for referring us.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.