Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Hawaiian to fly HNL -- SYD

Search this Thread

Old Jan 15, 2004, 7:03 pm
Original Poster

Hawaiian to fly HNL -- SYD

HONOLULU--(BUSINESS WIRE)--Jan. 15, 2004--Hawaiian Airlines announced today it has applied for government approvals with the United States and Australia to provide nonstop service to the land Down Under. Subject to these approvals, Hawaiian plans to begin service between Honolulu and Sydney on May 17.

http://biz.yahoo.com/bw/040115/155821_1.html

For those that care. Interesting to see that they believe this market can support another 4 flights.
Old Jan 15, 2004, 7:05 pm
Original Poster

Just looked at the flight times, which will be their competitive advantage

hnl-syd dep 1:30pm arr 7:30pm
syd-hnl dep 9:30pm arr 10:55am

So you can connect on to other islands, which you currently can't do with QF, AC or NZ.
Old Jan 15, 2004, 7:22 pm

And you dont get into HNL at the dreaded 1am and have to pay for a hotel for a few hours.
I used to love the CO flights which got in at 6am,.
Also yes the fact that you can connect to another island without staying in HNL for a few hours is a great plus.
The Moana and the Hyatt always had rooms available for early occupancy.
Only the princess K ever made us wait till 3.
I do hope this does eventuate .

[This message has been edited by tinkybelle (edited Jan 15, 2004).]
Old Jan 15, 2004, 11:40 pm

Hawaiian's so-called "First Class" seems like Qantas Domestic Business Class.

On a Boeing 767;
- 2x2x2 Configuration
- 18.5" Seat Width
- 42" Seat Pitch

And I don't think any cabins have Personal Entertainment. Correct me If I'm wrong.

Qantas will still get my business to Hawaii, even though Hawaii will still get Dreamtime Seats and not Skybed in Business Class.
Old Jan 16, 2004, 2:35 am

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Platinum A332:
Qantas will still get my business to Hawaii, even though Hawaii will still get Dreamtime Seats and not Skybed in Business Class.</font>
You don't think QF will drop this perenial low yielding route like a hot spud and code with HA, who, btw, are conveniently much in bed with AA in many things?
Old Jan 16, 2004, 3:26 am

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Al B:
You don't think QF will drop this perenial low yielding route like a hot spud and code with HA, who, btw, are conveniently much in bed with AA in many things?</font>
I don't think Qantas will drop Honolulu. There seems to be a decent amount of Premium Leisure Traffic (Rich People wanting to go on holidays) between Australia and Honolulu, and Qantas will offer the best J and Y products to Honolulu once the entire Boeing 747-300 upgrade is completed.

They renovated the QC in Honolulu not that long ago. Surely if they knew no or little Premium Traffic exists between Australia and Honolulu they would use a contracted lounge instead of opening their own lounge.

Don't forget that Qantas code-shares with American Airlines to Los Angeles, San Jose, San Francisco, Chicago and Dallas, ableit with long connecting times. While AA codeshares on QF 3/4.

However I could see QF working with HA and AA on the Hawaii route.

QF will continue to make more yield than HA, as HA offer a very poor premium cabin, while Qantas after cabin upgrades will offer the best Premium Product to Honolulu (even without Skybeds). I think you'll see HA withdraw from the market before QF do. Also QF in my opinion need to keep pressure on Air Canada.
Old Jan 16, 2004, 6:23 pm
Moderator: Coupon Connection & S.P.A.M

Programs: Destination Unknown, TSA Disparager Diamond (LTDD)
Hopefully this will drive the HNL-SYD prices down, and ultimately drive the US-OZ prices down. It's no fun being asked to pay 4-5x the cost to Europe when the distance is 2x tops.
Old Jan 16, 2004, 7:35 pm

Location: Austin, TX -- AA Life Platinum; QF Life Silver; UA Silver
Just flew the MEL-HNL route last week.. totally packed in biz/econ. The arrival time is a pain, we saw several people spending the night in the airport before connecting in the morning.
Old Jan 16, 2004, 7:44 pm

YIPEEE!!!!!!!!

Old Jan 23, 2004, 6:47 pm

Programs: AA GLD 1MM; US PP; HH Diamond; SPG Plat; Wegmans Shoppers Club; ExxonMobil Speedpass
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Platinum A332:
and Qantas will offer the best J and Y products to Honolulu once the entire Boeing 747-300 upgrade is completed.
</font>
Forgive me but I've been unable to find more details on this -- what upgrade for the -300's is underway, and on what timeframe? I'm planning HNL-SYD in J for Dec '04 and do not relish the (very!) old seats, poor IFE, etc...

cheers,
twj
Old Jan 23, 2004, 6:51 pm

Location: BNE, Australia...not too far from the nearest Qantas Pub err Club
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by tegwj:
Forgive me but I've been unable to find more details on this -- what upgrade for the -300's is underway, and on what timeframe? I'm planning HNL-SYD in J for Dec '04 and do not relish the (very!) old seats, poor IFE, etc...

cheers,
twj
</font>
Here's a start:Major QF Fleet/Product Investment!
Old Jan 23, 2004, 6:53 pm

Programs: AA GLD 1MM; US PP; HH Diamond; SPG Plat; Wegmans Shoppers Club; ExxonMobil Speedpass
Excellent, that's what I was missing. Much obliged!

twj
Old Sep 30, 2006, 10:32 am

Programs: HA Pua. Platinum WP, PR, QF, UA, AA, DL, NW Prince Preferred
HAwaiian Airlines is matching Death*'s price HNL-SYD, USD$575 return, all-in. It's not advertised, and a little confusing, but there's a great thread in the Hawai'i Based Airlines Forum that explains everything, which is where I read about it! Cheers! See you in SYD March 16 - 22nd!!!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.