Wiki Posts
Search

World Traveller Plus

Search this Thread

Old Jan 9, 2004, 1:46 pm
Original Poster

Location: Boston, MA, USA (somtimes London, UK|Mazamet, FR|Brisbane, AU
World Traveller Plus

I thought I was onto a really good wicket. That I would be able to pay little extra and then get an easier to upgrade economy ticket (and earn a little extra status).

However, this turns out to be not the case. I guess the proof is always in the testing.

I called up to upgrade my return section of World Traveller Plus and found out that it becomes a humble H class fare on Qantas. Although I was able to earn the extra on BA through Singapore and London, once you start on Qantas metal the ticket gets cut right down to discounted economy.

So, I guess it is buyer beware and don't think economy plus means more than economy minus when it comes to upgrades.

PS there was no upgrades between now and November from NY to Sydney available and so it was really an exercise in futility to even suggest it
Old Jan 10, 2004, 7:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
It may sound a bit obvious but WT+ is an exclusively BA product so it simply doesn't exist on QF flights or QF codes at all. With QF points you can only upgrade a QF coded ticket on a QF operated flight, so it seems logical that a discount WT+ ticket isn't going to help much.

In my experience of London-Sydney upgrades, they are rarely available to be confirmed when you book your ticket. Waitlisting for one, however, seems to give you a pretty decent chance at getting it confirmed a day or so before the flight, a little more if the flight is obviously quiet.
Old Jan 10, 2004, 2:40 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Im confused by this. WT+ is a BA product and only available on BA. Why would you expect the discount fare be able to upgrade to QF J from it or expect it to become full Y on QF?.

Dave
Old Jan 10, 2004, 5:19 pm
Original Poster

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Dave Noble:
Im confused by this. WT+ is a BA product and only available on BA. Why would you expect the discount fare be able to upgrade to QF J from it or expect it to become full Y on QF?.

Dave
</font>
When I was on a round the world J, the economy sectors were treated as a full Y when it came to earning points (i.e. when you are on AA and there was no J class). I figured when you go down a class, then you go down one level and not all the way to the bottom. I guess you can argue the merits both ways but I know what thought did - thought wrong...
Old Jan 10, 2004, 5:25 pm
Original Poster

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">In my experience of London-Sydney upgrades, they are rarely available to be confirmed when you book your ticket. Waitlisting for one, however, seems to give you a pretty decent chance at getting it confirmed a day or so before the flight, a little more if the flight is obviously quiet.[/B]</font>
My wife and I are on wait list for end of this month. Thanks for the encouragement. Some good news would be nice. We are near Boston right now and it is -20C with no end in sight (although it did get up to -10C today). If anyone knows any good plumbers - our last one does not return any calls after starting the kitchen and cashing the first cheque but that is another chat...

[This message has been edited by ianmc (edited Jan 10, 2004).]
Old Jan 10, 2004, 5:51 pm

"I figured when you go down a class, then you go down one level and not all the way to the bottom. I guess you can argue the merits both ways but I know what thought did - thought wrong..."

But how were you going to upgrade from WT+ anyway? Thats where I am confused. I wouldn't have thought that a WT+ ticket would have been valid on QF tbh, though if it was , I wouldnt expect a T fare to go to Y, though I would expect a W fare to do so. Best to save the points and travel WT+ methinks, plus get the full economy status credits.

Dave
Old Jan 10, 2004, 5:53 pm

"My wife and I are on wait list for end of this month. Thanks for the encouragement. Some good news would be nice."

The easiest way ,imo, to get upgrades from Europe to OZ is to not go from London. Qf operate out of CDG and FRA , both of which I have found to be far easier to get the upgrades. If you can change to go out of there, then you may find your odds improve

Dave
Old Jan 10, 2004, 6:07 pm
Original Poster

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">But how were you going to upgrade from WT+ anyway? ...</font>
The route was/is:

BNE - SYD (QF H)
SYD - LHR (BA W)
LHR - BOS (BA W)
JFK - SYD (QF H)
SYD - BNE (QF H)

I was wanting to upgrade the JFK - SYD to J. WT+ didn't need to be upgraded as I can sleep in those seats.

The WT+ to LHR lets you come back via the USA and that is where I get on QF in discounted Y.

I hope that makes more sense...
Old Jan 10, 2004, 9:13 pm

"I hope that makes more sense"

It does make more sense now.One question, are the BA sectors actually in W or are they in the discount T bucket? Out of curiosity, what is the fare basis for the BA ticket since that could be useful. I have used the QF H*VOY and M*DISCOV fares which are great tickets for being able to go via the 3rd world in 1 ( or both ) directions, but they do not seem to have the ability to upgrade to WT+ on BA.

Dave
Old Jan 11, 2004, 3:59 pm

Location: BNE, Australia...not too far from the nearest Qantas Pub err Club
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Dave Noble:
"I hope that makes more sense"

It does make more sense now.One question, are the BA sectors actually in W or are they in the discount T bucket? Out of curiosity, what is the fare basis for the BA ticket since that could be useful. I have used the QF H*VOY and M*DISCOV fares which are great tickets for being able to go via the 3rd world in 1 ( or both ) directions, but they do not seem to have the ability to upgrade to WT+ on BA.

Dave
</font>
W: Kangaroo Route BA/QF ticket
T: Other routes AUS-UK eg HKG BA/QF ticket

T class earns full (QF) points and SCs, and 10% cabin bonus. Just checked my statement from BA27 2 days ago.

Old Jan 11, 2004, 4:49 pm
Original Poster

The ticket is the one advertised here:

http://www.bestflights.com.au/cgi-bi...indetails=2010

I have all the extra status from the BA flights - only the QF flights lower.
Old Jan 11, 2004, 6:54 pm
og
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: QF WP/LTG | UA P
My understanding is full Y SCs on BA WT+ and same for the Y sectors in Europe on BA. QF give discounted Y SCs on international flights and full Y SCs on Australian domestic flights - eg SYD-MEL. You'll get better rules in the travel.com.au web site (dummy book aneconomy class SYD-LHR - most expensive option).
Old Jan 11, 2004, 7:17 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by og:
My understanding is full Y SCs on BA WT+ and same for the Y sectors in Europe on BA.</font>
Full SCs for B class as well on BA on intra-Europe...
Old Jan 13, 2004, 11:59 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by willyroo:
Full SCs for B class as well on BA on intra-Europe...</font>
Not correct - B class on BA counts as discount Y for SCs.
Old Jan 14, 2004, 12:36 am
og
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: QF WP/LTG | UA P
The W class WT+ Oz-Europe fare (on travel.com.au) includes the Euro sector in BA Y class and a QF sector SYD-MEL or v/v in H. That makes at trip LHR-HEL-LHR an 80 SC venture and the connector in Oz 20 SC. The T class WT+ on the other hand has a lesser class (B?) on BA so not so attractive. SO, Oz- Euro and back in WT+ W can stretch to 380 SC for about $3400 (incl tax).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.