First Class SIN-LHR: BA or QF?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 9, 2003, 10:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP 3 MM; Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium Elite
First Class SIN-LHR: BA or QF?

Cross-posted from the BA Forum.

Without taking schedule into consideration, which airline would you choose on this route and why?

Thanks!
Old Dec 9, 2003, 3:13 pm
Original Member

Location: Portland OR Double Emerald (QF and AA), DL PM/MM, Starwood Plat
Little difference. Identical lounges at both SIN and LHR (or is the BA arrival lounge access only for QF Platinum and not including F pax?). Similar on-board seat and service (more variation between individual planes than between BA and QF). Food generally better on QF but not a sure thing, similarly wine/spirits better on BA but not always (and QF has recently upgraded its F service, though not clear that it is much of an improvement -- I have yet to try it). BA service is more consistent, but QF crews can be better and almost always more fun (you may or may not like that aspect). I'd pick QF just because I'm bored flying BA (and their F service has gone downhill a lot this year).
Old Dec 9, 2003, 3:46 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

[QUOTE]Originally posted by number_6:
[B]Little difference. Identical lounges at both SIN and LHR (or is the BA arrival lounge access only for QF Platinum and not including F pax?).

QF premium arrival passengers are also permitted to use the Arrival Lounge.

I think there is little difference between the 2 and would use whichever had the better schedule for me with a slight preference towards QF due to their cabin layout. On SIN-LHR specifically, I would choose QF, solely because I like the morning departure that they offer out of SIN ( approx 07:00 ) which arrives at around 13:00 into LHR. Far preferable for me than the late overnight, arriving into LHR at around 5am

QF have 4 window seats , each of which is parallel to the window , whilst BA has 5 seats angled at about 45 degrees towards the window. I find looking out of the window easier on QF than BA.

Other than that , it's the same lounges, same type of aircraft, same type of seats, similar service ( but with the bonus of the Steak Sandwich snack on QF ).

Whichever you use , you will have a good flight.
Old Dec 9, 2003, 4:46 pm
mgm

Comfort wise the main difference between BA & QF is seat padding. BA has more and I find it more comfortable than the old QF seat. The new configuration First seat does have a bit of extra padding but still not as much as BA. Also getting a new config aircraft at this stage is more miss than hit at this point.
Old Dec 9, 2003, 8:08 pm
mgm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Other than that , it's the same lounges, same type of aircraft, same type of seats, similar service ( but with the bonus of the Steak Sandwich snack on QF ).</font>
QF may have discontinued the steak sandwich. Had a look at my menu for LHR-SIN-MEL and it was not there. Though there are other lighter options and it seems you can order anything you like at anytime during the flight (assuming that there are servings available).
Old Dec 9, 2003, 8:55 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

"QF may have discontinued the steak sandwich. Had a look at my menu for LHR-SIN-MEL and it was not there. "

It is definately still about. I saw it on a menu (under snacks) only 2 weeks ago. I suppose it might not be on all routes

Dave

Old Dec 10, 2003, 1:48 am
mgm

Maybe it's specific to new configuration aircraft. The menu I have (from Dec 7) has no snacks section at all.
Old Dec 11, 2003, 5:41 am

Programs: QF LT Gold, AA LT Plat and SQ bottom feeder..
Steak sandwich was on the menu Syd/LAX last Sunday.

I also think that there is little difference between the two. Little things like the amenities bag? perhaps.
I prefer the food on QF, but the BA efforts have markedly improved in both J and First in the last 6 mths.

The QF aircraft still seem to have the adjustable air vents so that may also make a difference to you for the long haul , altho both sets of FA happily turn the temperature down.
Old Dec 11, 2003, 11:03 am

Programs: AA EXP, AA5MM
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by AshleyF:
Steak sandwich was on the menu Syd/LAX last Sunday.
</font>
Do you by chance have the menu for the LAX-JFK section? Can you post it? Thanks.
Old Dec 16, 2003, 9:09 pm

Programs: QF LT Gold, AA LT Plat and SQ bottom feeder..
Sorry, I fly into IAD so took an AA flight from LAX.
The food would almost inevitably be better on that leg with QF than AA.
(Do like the hot fudge sudae tho...)
Old Dec 16, 2003, 11:31 pm
Original Member

Location: Portland OR Double Emerald (QF and AA), DL PM/MM, Starwood Plat
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by AA EXP DFW-LON:
Do you by chance have the menu for the LAX-JFK section?</font>
It varies by day of the week as well as seasonally; in any case similar catering to LAX-SYD. In theory the same standard as boarded in SYD. Nothing to rave about except the passionfruit sauce on the cake. And there is always a lamb dish.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.