Community
Wiki Posts
Search

SC Run to get WP

Search this Thread

Old Dec 3, 2003, 8:10 pm
Original Poster

SC Run to get WP

Through this board I have been motivated to chase the WP dream and ideal.

My curent status is SG with 120 SC required to requalify before 31 March. This will be achieved easily before then on regular domestic/NZ trips.

I have requalified for SG the past 4 years and came within 140 of plat last year. I didnt have the input of FT back then to prod me along a bit more.

My question to the FT'ers is do I undertake a DONE 4 pre 31 March with 920 SC's needed for Plat, or do I undertake this post 31 March (as a requalified SG) needing the full 1400 to achieve WP?

No doubt timing is critical in optimising WP. When I get it I want to keep it for as long as possible. I am confident that I will requalify for SG year on year, but may not get the 1200 SC's to retain plat in the coming years.

I am a Self Funded flyer.

Old Dec 3, 2003, 8:19 pm

Programs: QF PS and spouse of QP Senior Lifer PS, UA, AA, DL, AS, AV
Why not spread your SC earning over the two membership years? That way you get WP this membership year and a good start towards next membership year also, without wasting surplus SCs.

But I hope that some more experienced non-Lurkers will have also something to say on this topic of spreading a DONE over two years.
Old Dec 3, 2003, 8:26 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

"My question to the FT'ers is do I undertake a DONE 4 pre 31 March with 920 SC's needed for Plat, or do I undertake this post 31 March (as a requalified SG) needing the full 1400 to achieve WP?"

If you complete the climb to WP prior to 31 March, then you will have WP Status until 31 March 2005 ( i.e. rest of current membership year plus the next ). If you attain WP status in April, then you would get WP status through till March 2006, getting nearly 2 years WP status.

(edited to s/2005/2006/ and s/2004/2005/ )

Dave

[This message has been edited by Dave Noble (edited Dec 04, 2003).]
Old Dec 3, 2003, 9:16 pm
Original Member

Location: Portland OR Double Emerald (QF and AA), DL PM/MM, Starwood Plat
A DONE4 will get you about 1700 SCs (more if you construct it carefully). So enough to make WP next year, making it seem sub-optimal to get WP prior to 3/04.
Old Dec 3, 2003, 10:33 pm

Posted by Dave Noble

"If you complete the climb to WP prior to 31 March, then you will have WP Status until 31 March 2004 ( i.e. rest of current membership year plus the next ). If you attain WP status in April, then you would get WP status through till March 2005, getting nearly 2 years WP status."

--------------------------

Am I missing something here? It is now November 2003. Doesn't "the rest of current memebtrship year plus the next" go to March 2005, not March 2004 ?

Also, could somebody please comment on my suggestion of splitting the DONE4 travel over two membershiup years , so as not to gather SCs in excess of WP requirements.

Old Dec 3, 2003, 10:54 pm
NM

Programs: AA Plat & LTG; QF LTG
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by QF ExLurker:
Am I missing something here? It is now November 2003. Doesn't "the rest of current memebtrship year plus the next" go to March 2005, not March 2004 ?</font>
Yes, you are correct. I think Dave Noble may have to surrender his for a period of time (say 3 mins while he goes to the bar for the next round). If gaining WP before 31 March 2004, status will be valid until 31 March 2005. If gaining status just after 31 March 2004, then status will be valid for the remainder of that year and for the entire following year, being until 31 March 2006.
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Also, could somebody please comment on my suggestion of splitting the DONE4 travel over two membershiup years , so as not to gather SCs in excess of WP requirements.
</font>
This depends on whether or not he expects to requalify in subsequent years. If he is going to make Gild anyway this year, then there is not a great benefit in bringing the WP status forward in this year, except that WP in this year will get him into F lounges while on the DONE4 sooner than starting the WP haul after 1 April.

But, in the longer term, there is a better chance of getting to Partner Gold qualification if putting the entire DONE4 into one membership year, coupled with the sort of regular flying that has got him to SG status for the last few years.

Personally, I would delay until after 1 April and go for Partner Gold in that year.
Old Dec 3, 2003, 11:14 pm

Thanks, NM, what you say about Partner Gold and earlier access to F lounge makes sense. One would also need to add in the value of the extra status miles for WP (i.e. 100% rather than 50%) during the latter part of the DONE4, after WP status had already been achieved. What Dave Noble says also does make sense, provided you add one year onto his dates.
Old Dec 3, 2003, 11:40 pm
In Memoriam

Programs: Mucci
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by QF ExLurker:
Also, could somebody please comment on my suggestion of splitting the DONE4 travel over two membershiup years , so as not to gather SCs in excess of WP requirements.</font>
Won't make any difference whatsoever. If he qualifies for WP prior to 31MAR04, his WP status will go to 31MAR05 anyway, and he will just be requalifying through to MAR06.

If he qualifies newly in APR04, this his new WP status will last until 31MAR06 anyway.

Dave
Old Dec 4, 2003, 2:59 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for all the advice. As usual a new challenge is presented, thanks to NM, with the dual goal now being WP and Partner Gold.

Plan is to requalify for SG pre 31 March, and attack a DONE 4 early April.

Will post a new and seperate topic once I have some idea as to what locations I plan to visit during the DONE 4.

Time to get working on a 1400 SC DONE4!
Old Dec 4, 2003, 3:06 pm

"Yes, you are correct. I think Dave &lt;IMG SRC="http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/starsmilie.gif"&gt; Noble may have to surrender his &lt;IMG SRC="http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/starsmilie.gif"&gt; for a period of time (say 3 mins while he goes to the bar for the next round)."

Ooops, In my post I had mistyped the years in. Each was out by 1. Although the year figures were incorrect, to be fair, I did correctly point out that getting WP in March would give just over 1 years WP status compared with just under 2 years if done in April

Dave

[This message has been edited by Dave Noble (edited Dec 04, 2003).]
Old Dec 4, 2003, 3:12 pm

"Time to get working on a 1400 SC DONE4!"

skip the DONE4s and go straight to the AONE4s and do it easily. pre the 20 segment limit , it was possible to get over 4000 SCs on one AONE4

Dave
Old Dec 4, 2003, 6:31 pm

WOW.
Wish I knew what a done4 is and aone4 is. spose someone will clue me in!!!!
Maybe I will have to do some stopping along the way on my RTW!!!!!
Old Dec 4, 2003, 7:31 pm

Programs: QF Platinum One (LTG), UA Plat IHG Plat
holy crap. 4000 SC's on a AONE4.

No wonder they set the segment limit to 20. I wonder why Star gives 28....

Now, if only I had the $$ for a D/AONE4 I'd be happy with SG!

------------------
RichardMEL, UA 1K
A Star Alliance Member.
Old Dec 4, 2003, 7:47 pm

Programs: Elite Diamond Purple Dot Gold Silver Titanium for life
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by tinkybelle:
WOW.
Wish I knew what a done4 is and aone4 is. spose someone will clue me in!!!!
</font>

was about to ask the same question....
Old Dec 4, 2003, 8:04 pm
In Memoriam

Programs: Mucci
In most fare basis codes, the first letter is the booking class - hence, in a DONE4 it will be booked in D class, thus is a discounted business class fare.

The next series of letters generally gives an indication as to the type of fare it is. In this case, ONE stands for One World Explorer - so thus far we have a First Class One World Explorer (AONE) and a Business Class One World Explorer (DONE).

Lastly, we have a letter to indicate any restrictions - 4 indicates 4-continent, and so on.

So AONE4 is a First Class Four Continent One World Explorer, a DONE6 is a Business Class Six Continent One World Explorer, and so on.

Dave

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.