Wiki Posts
Search

Red e-deals - fare rules

Search this Thread

Old Aug 12, 2003, 3:12 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AAdv GLD(MM), QF LTS, UA MP_nada, HH Gld, SPG, GoldenCircle Jade
Red e-deals - fare rules

I am searching for a MEL-SYD-CNS-MEL ticket. On QF site I found a MEL-CNS red e-deal via Syd. Do the red e-deals allow a stopover so that I can stop in SYD and then keep going?

Otherwise I am getting a price of 800-1000 for the above routing. This sounds high. Any other ideas for routing etc... Could I be better of buying MEL-SYD-MEL and SYD-CNS-SYD ??
Old Aug 12, 2003, 4:32 pm

Programs: OW Emerald
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by alect:
I am searching for a MEL-SYD-CNS-MEL ticket. On QF site I found a MEL-CNS red e-deal via Syd. Do the red e-deals allow a stopover so that I can stop in SYD and then keep going?

Otherwise I am getting a price of 800-1000 for the above routing. This sounds high. Any other ideas for routing etc... Could I be better of buying MEL-SYD-MEL and SYD-CNS-SYD ??
</font>
Hi alect, the red e-deals are basically one-way fares. You can buy separate one-ways MEL-SYD ($89), SYD-CNS ($224), CNS-MEL ($253) for total $566.

You could also do the MEL-SYD-MEL and SYD-CNS-SYD, but that could lead to a problem on the return, since if there's a problem with the connection in SYD, your SYD-MEL flight is on a separate ticket. In theory, that could land you in trouble (although QF are normally very accommodating).

If you are flying into Australia on AA/QF, another option is to buy the OW "Visit Aust" pass. Each flight is $240+tax with a minimum of two. So you'd buy a red e-deal for MEL-SYD at $89 plus SYD-CNS-x-MEL for $480+tax. Total will be about $15 more, but the nice thing with the Visit Aust pass is that you can change the dates/times without penalty. Not much extra to pay for the flexibility.
Old Aug 12, 2003, 4:38 pm
Original Poster

jridge,

that's a great idea - i had looked at the "Boomerang Pass" but didn't think to combine it with red e-deals.

Do you know what booking class the Boomerang/Visit Aus pass sectors are booked into or whether they are restricted in another way - I want to make sure I am not restricted as to the flights I can book (eg. CNS-MEL direct rather than via SYD).

Thanks again for the idea.
Old Aug 12, 2003, 4:46 pm
og
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: QF WP/LTG | UA P
As stated, red e-deals are very restricted. You only have flexibility in the booking to choose whatever the web throws up at you. If it offers connecting flights all the better (although the connections are usually minimal). It is not possible to ring QF and negotiate flights under the red e-deal bucket (unless you specifically want to fly in a 332....). You will be told to go back to the web and do it yourself. NOW, if you are prepared to pay a bit more $$$ and fly in a higher fare class (eg O or Q or L etc), then the friendly phone agents may well be able to get you the stopovers you desire. Sometimes they can be really helpful and go out of their way to be nice - especially if what you are trying to do is interesting and different to the norm.
Old Aug 12, 2003, 4:51 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by alect:
Do you know what booking class the Boomerang/Visit Aus pass sectors are booked into or whether they are restricted in another way - I want to make sure I am not restricted as to the flights I can book (eg. CNS-MEL direct rather than via SYD).</font>
They are M class, you can read all the gory details here:

http://www.hardlink.com/~markdu/OWFi...tAuNZPass.html

There aren't many restrictions on them... there just has to be scheduled service between the two endpoints, and there is a penalty if you change the routing. So YES you can fly direct CNS-MEL.

Of course, the big catch is that they must be issued in conjunction with OW travel into Australia... not a problem for you, I guess.

I just booked a similar thing... LAX-MEL, then MEL-BNE-x-OOL-HBA on the "Visit Aus" pass (worked out to USD$322)... then added a $78 red e-deal HBA-MEL on the end.
Old Aug 14, 2003, 1:33 pm
Original Poster

Thanks jridge,

Followed your advice and got 2 sectors on the AusPass and red e-deal Mel-Syd for A$89 - great value.

On the www.qantasusa.com site they only list the Boomerang Pass (A$260 per sector) - when booking on the phone the CSA told me about the AusPass. Only difference is cancellation policy. Why don't they advertize the AusPass along with the BoomerangPass?
Old Aug 14, 2003, 2:57 pm

On the www.qantasusa.com site they only list the Boomerang Pass (A$260 per sector) - when booking on the phone the CSA told me about the AusPass. Only difference is cancellation policy. Why don't they advertize the AusPass along with the BoomerangPass?</font>
Don't know... I've given up trying to figure out that stuff. You can't get to the Boomerang Pass info from the Australian Qantas page, and QF has nothing about other regional passes or circle fares.

OneWorld itself omits mention of its Global Explorer product (only OWE is listed) whereas QF publishes info on GlobEx. The whole thing is a real hodge-podge.

The Boomerang pass seems to be very similar but with some subtle differences. For example, you don't actually have to fly into Australia on a OW carrier, whereas with "Visit Aust" you do. I guess maybe that is the reason for having a separate product - pick up some of the tourists coming in on (for example) SQ.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.