Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Qantas | Frequent Flyer
Reload this Page >

Changes to QFF program start tomorrow

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Changes to QFF program start tomorrow

Search this Thread

Old Jun 30, 2003, 5:46 pm

Programs: QF, AA, NZ and a bunch of other pretty cards
Statuschaser...thanks heaps for the useful info :-)

I have some issues seperate but related re some of my reservations..are you able to help at all? always feel ambarrassed putting questios's up here.

[This message has been edited by OnlyMeansWell (edited 06-30-2003).]
Old Jun 30, 2003, 9:45 pm
kpc

Programs: QF Plat, VA Gold, HH Diam, PC Plat, SPG Gold
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">From QF web page:
On Departure Upgrades: If you're a Frequent Flyer member with access to The Qantas Club lounge, you have the option of using your points or Upgrade credits to obtain an On Departure Upgrade for domestic flights in Australia, including domestic sectors of international flights.

On Departure Upgrades can only be requested in a Qantas Club lounge and are subject to the availability of Award seats in the relevant class at the time of departure. They are not available on international flights or New Zealand domestic flights.

</font>
This clause worries me "...subject to the availability of Award seats in the relevant class at the time of departure". In the past, my understanding was that if there was a free business class seat available, you could use points for an on departure upgrade at the QC. Does it now mean that you can only get an on departure upgrade if there is ONLY a free award bsinees class seat available?

------------------
kpc

[This message has been edited by kpc (edited 06-30-2003).]
Old Jun 30, 2003, 10:25 pm
Original Poster

the changes to the ungrade points will come in to effect on the 1st of january 2004

the other changes have come into effect today

Old Jun 30, 2003, 10:29 pm

Programs: QF Plat (Life Gold)
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by snerp:
QF is trying to reduce demand for upgrades to leave more available for the super-premium members who have millions of point in their account and won't 'feel' the impact of a price hike.</font>
People who have millions of points in their accounts are, by definition one would think, fairly unlikely to be looking for upgrades!
(At least not from discount Y to J).

[This message has been edited by whughes3 (edited 06-30-2003).]
Old Jun 30, 2003, 11:28 pm

Programs: CX MPO Gold; QFClub
Once again, thanks to the members of this board for bringing valuable information to light quickly - Statuschaser, much obliged for the advanced info.

DrD and myself are just in the midst of finalising bookings for the next month or so, and the BA changes will certainly impact DrD's RTW. (And very happy he is about that, too )

For the rest, I guess it will take a while to weigh up the details, but I'd just like to say "Glass half full, or half empty?"

From where we stand, there are good things in this package:

BA status bonus changes are excellent, had been hoping that something like that would eventuate after close of Asia/Pac Exec Club.

Scrapping the late booking fee - good.

Reducing the waitlist cut-offs for int. upgrades - great.

Sadly affects us less now than it used to (most travel is INT) but I would have thought there would have been more happiness about the full status credits down to and including K on QF DOM? Surely that will make requalifying a lot easier for those who just make it?

As for the increases on upgrades from 1 Jan 04 - well, at first glance, it looks to affect mainly internationl itins (due to the reclassification of domestic full economy). And as number_6 has already observed in a neighbouring thread on this topic, INT Y-J are not trivial to obtain, anyhow. Demand has been well exceeding supply in this area, ladies and gentlemen: and I believe QF has recognised it, seen the opportunity and upped the ante. You want it, you pay more. And maybe you have a better chance of getting it, 'cos there are less people competing for them at that points level. It mightn't be the best news you've had all week, but I think you have to admit it makes sense.

[This message has been edited by MrsDrD (edited 06-30-2003).]
Old Jun 30, 2003, 11:57 pm

Programs: QF Plat+ LTG/ OW Emerald, VA Plat, NZ Gold, HH Diamond, Hyatt Whatsit. Taxation is theft.
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by aura:
out of interest, is anyone thinking of writing to ACCC and/or any journos with FF interest, (eg ben sandilands??), as a heads up or to see if they can dig out further info?
</font>
In the current security climate, it would be imprudent to write of the only thing I would consider posting to the ACCC.

Old Jul 1, 2003, 12:03 am

Programs: QF Plat+ LTG/ OW Emerald, VA Plat, NZ Gold, HH Diamond, Hyatt Whatsit. Taxation is theft.
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by lokijuh:
OK forget all that... just read that UC's are going to be now 450 points. So it looks like we're back at the current earning rate....
</font>
You're forgetting that for those flying on discounted Y tickets in Aus, upgrade credits will be easier to obtain with the new status credit levels. Eg: previously all but full Y gave you 10 SCs SYD-MEL, now you can earn 20 without forking for Y.

I'm quite cool with the changes, as echoed by others it gets back to the core of providing the greatest rewards and opportunities to those of us who spend the most time in the air, in the most expensive cabins.

Old Jul 1, 2003, 12:41 am

Programs: BA GGL; SK EBG; QF LTG; Hilton Diamond, A-Club Platinum, Marriott Platinum
Theoretically from what they have written the change to BA/AA flights will not be that great for gold and platinum members as the status bonus attributes to the BASE economy rate (same rate as cabin bonus) and that rate is 100% mileage flown.

So a platinum member flying discount Y on BA would earn 25% miles + 100% status bonus (based on full Y rates) which seems like an interesting and rewarding method for beenfits of higher status.

Anyway, that is my reading from;

Status bonus
The higher your status the higher your points earning rate. This is known as a Status bonus. A Status bonus is awarded to Silver, Gold and Platinum Frequent Flyers when they fly on eligible Qantas, American Airlines® and Bristish Airways flights that have a Qantas (QF), American Airlines® (AA) or British Airways (BA) flight number on their ticket. The Status bonus is calculated as a percentage increase of the base Economy accrual rate.

Silver - 25% Status bonus per mile
Gold - 50% Status bonus per mile
Platinum - 100% Status bonus per mile
For further information, see our example below or use our points calculator.

Of course there is no example of this in the examples coupled with interesting the word 'base' that is open to question.

Does anyone have any clarification of this, as it would certianly make one European based member a lot happier.

Edited for bad spelling!

Mark
p.s. I find it quite funny that QF have a lisp on Bristish Airways!

[This message has been edited by Koru Flyer (edited 07-01-2003).]
Old Jul 1, 2003, 12:51 am

Programs: QF Platinum (OW Emerald); QF Lifestime Silver; BD Diamond Club Gold (*A Gold)
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Statuschaser:
Status bonuses and cabin bonuses to be given on BA flights includng 10% extra for World traveler plus cabin</font>
Ah, but what they give, they also take away:

From 1 January 2004, the number of points you will earn when travelling in discount Economy with our airline partners Bristish Airways and American Airlines®will change as follows.

On British Airways you will earn:

100% points (1 point=1 mile) on full Economy fares, and 25% points (0.25 points=1 mile) for discounted Economy fares

For American Airlines® flights, you will also earn a reduced number of points on certain discounted Economy fares, depending on the fare type booked. Refer to clauses 9.2.8 and 9.3.1 of the terms and conditions for an outline of how this may affect you.

From 1 January 2004 the minimum for discount Economy on British Airways will be reduced to 125 points per flight, but remain a minimum of 500 points per flight for full Economy.

There's also a big change for SCs:

From 1 Januaray 2004, you will earn one Upgrade credit for every 450 Status credits earned.

So, it looks like QF's scheme looks much like the pre-July 1st BA EC. Given the choice between QF WP and BA Gold, I think I may be tempted to take the latter.

Anyone know if AA/CX/LA offer any better alternatives?

[This message has been edited by virtualtroy (edited 07-01-2003).]
Old Jul 1, 2003, 1:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by virtualtroy:
There's also a big change for SCs:</font>
This was actually said in the context of upgrade credits. The good news in here is that there appears to be no change whatever to earning status credits.

For those of us to whom status (and its benefits) is more important than rewards whether in the form of award flights or upgrades, that is comforting.

Also, as it happens, my own BA flying is going from a 100% points earn to 75%, so it really could have been a lot worse. It'll hurt, but I was really getting too much before.
Old Jul 1, 2003, 1:45 am

Programs: QF LTG, SQ EGTP, Bonvoy LTG
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by shillard:
You're forgetting that for those flying on discounted Y tickets in Aus, upgrade credits will be easier to obtain with the new status credit levels</font>
That is exactly why I said we're back at the current earning rate. Pre July 1 250 points = 25 K class fares (in the SYD-MEL-BNE-CBR-ADL triangle...exc BNE-ADL), Post Jan 1 450 points = 22.5 K class fares. Given that a few of my fares usually end up in Y at the moment, I'd say 20 or so fares get 250 points. So, except for the next 6 months or so, status quo reigns. But it probably will work out better, as maybe fewer bods will be wanting to get upgrades, because of the disincentive of using points for this purpose.
Old Jul 1, 2003, 6:54 am

Programs: QF Platinum One (LTG), UA Plat IHG Plat
Well thank you Qantas. You have just made my life much easier. I was wondering if i should send travel to QF/oneworld for status & miles. But these changes make me realise I am better off keeping it with the other mob (until they do the same thing!).

sigh.

------------------
RichardMEL, UA 1K
A Star Alliance Member.
Old Jul 1, 2003, 7:05 am

Location: Brisbane (BNE), Australia, QF/VA Forums Meeting Organiser
Programs: VA Plat, QF Gold (97.4% LTG), QP Life, AA (66% LTG). HH Diamond. Amex Plat, Visa Plat
RichardMEL, pity, it might have meant I saw you on board sometime....
Old Jul 1, 2003, 5:04 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by whughes3:
People who have millions of points in their accounts are, by definition one would think, fairly unlikely to be looking for upgrades!
(At least not from discount Y to J).

[This message has been edited by whughes3 (edited 06-30-2003).]
</font>
Whughes3, I don't mean to be argumentative but I think you'd be surprised. The other aspect is that the really frequent flyers travel so much that they generally don't want to spend their points on even more travel! So they have lots to spend, not much they *want* to spend on, but are the customers QF really wants to look after.

[This message has been edited by snerp (edited 07-01-2003).]
Old Jul 2, 2003, 1:20 am

Programs: QF Platinum One (LTG), UA Plat IHG Plat
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by QF WP:
RichardMEL, pity, it might have meant I saw you on board sometime....</font>
Well I am still open to offers of paid C (I'm not that greedy!) travel on QF/OW, or winning the lottery... both about as likely as UA doing something truly inventive or AN rising from the ashes....

------------------
RichardMEL, UA 1K
A Star Alliance Member.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.