Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Qantas | Frequent Flyer
Reload this Page >

HELP! Stopover in Fiji on a discounted travel agent fare

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 19, 2008, 11:16 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP, former DL Gold

Hey everyone,

First time posting in the QF forum!

So here's my situation. I'm traveling down under for a study abroad program this summer and am trying to arrange a stopover in Fiji after the program ends.

After dealing with the (unfriendly) travel agent here in the States, it was determined that there's no availability on the NAN-LAX leg of the stopover. Now, I suggested that he try for a reroute through somewhere in Australia. However, he came back saying that would no longer qualify as a stopover. Also, he refused to give me a copy of the fare rules, so I have no idea what is allowed and not allowed.

Right now, my agent is quoting a base fare of $1969 (not including taxes and fees) that seems pretty fair; a stopover is supposed to cost $150 for either Fiji, Honolulu, or AKL. Looking at the fare types on Qantas.com (http://www.qantas.com.au/regions/ama...ARY/index.html) it seems that I should be allowed to stop over wherever there's room. However, the TA said there's no room at all that week.

Now, the one thing I'm not sure of is what fare class the stopover books into. Looking at seatcounter, all fare buckets except L, N, O, Q, S, V show space. Also, other buckets on Air Pacific and the NZ codes show as available as well.

I guess my question now is what fare class does a stopover book into (ie. is there space for me on this flight?), and what are the typical QF policies regarding this (ie. can i route the final leg back through SYD or BNE)?

Of course, this is QF, something I have absolutely no experience with. Maybe I'm just trying to apply other rules from US and Asian airlines that I'm more familiar with.

Any help would be GREATLY appreciated.

Thanks!
Old Mar 20, 2008, 12:13 am

Programs: Qantas Silver, Velocity Gold, Etihad Gold, Hhonors Gold
Originally Posted by spikyone
Looking at seatcounter, all fare buckets except L, N, O, Q, S, V show space.
There's your problem. Heavily discounted airfares will be booked in one of those booking classes, with N, O or Q being the lowest classes.
Old Mar 20, 2008, 12:57 am

Programs: VA Plat, QF LTS, UA MM, Hilton Diamond, Rydges Black, ,Le-Club Gold
Originally Posted by babbyf
Heavily discounted airfares will be booked in one of those booking classes, with N, O or Q being the lowest classes.
"Heavily Discounted" doesn't mean there's any discount compared with other carriers' fares, it's a QF strangulation of the English language - something like "Enhancement" as applied by airlines to their frequent flyer program.

N,O, and Q are the normal economy fares for QF.

Your travel agent sounds hopeless. orbitz.com is your friend. Select Flights then "Multi-city"

edit - Or post all your dates and the TA's here may help

Last edited by harryhv; Mar 20, 2008 at 1:03 am
Old Mar 20, 2008, 1:26 am

Programs: Qantas Silver, Velocity Gold, Etihad Gold, Hhonors Gold
If the there is no availability in L, V, S, N, Q and O all that is left is Y, B, K, M and R... which are all the more expensive airfares. If the OP pays more to get a ticket in a higher booking class then the stopover will be possible.

And N, O and Q are not just "normal" economy fares. When there is no sale on N, O and Q fares are not even available to the US ex Australia even though there is availability in those classes.
Old Mar 20, 2008, 3:28 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP, former DL Gold
Thanks everyone for all your quick help!

I agree that my TA pretty much sucks too (I just think they lack any incentive to work for your business, considering all these programs are already going through this same TA). The issue is that most of the seats on these flights are going to be taken up by other students in my position, which makes it even harder to book on my own. We'll also be flying many domestic legs within Australia (I'm assuming on the oneworld Australia Pass). As such, booking by myself seems tough, and given the price, it may not be worth it.

For those who are simply awesome and interested in helping, here's my itin that is pretty much required by the program (sorry it's so messy):
QF 176 20 Jun Los Angeles/Brisbane 11:20pm/6:05am +2
QF 824 22 Jun Brisbane/Darwin 9:00am/12:35pm
QF 1935 04 Jul Darwin/Alice Springs 6:00am/8:00am
Surface Alice Springs/Ayers Rock
QF 729 06 Jul Ayers Rock/Sydney 1:40pm/5:10pm
QF 924 26 Jul Sydney/Cairns 9:25am/12:35pm

QF 655 03 Aug Cairns/Brisbane 5:00pm/7:05pm
QF 397 03 Aug Brisbane/Nadi 11:55pm/5:25am +1
QF 3839 06 Aug Nadi/Los Angeles 10:00pm/1:20pm
It's an exciting itinerary if I can get it. The only problem is that there's no availability on the last Air Pacific flight.

Seeing as how the lowest fare buckets are currently empty, is there some way to go ahead a ticket the rest of the trip and waitlist the last segment?

Or would it be possible to route through SYD or BNE from Fiji and still have it count as a stopover? What's QF's policy there?

In addition, what's QF's policy on adding a stopover? Could I ticket and then add a stopover for $150 if space becomes available? This being my first trip to Australia, I'd love to be able to stop in a destination not easily accessible to us from the States.

I know it's a lot of questions, but I'd really appreciate any advice from you guys!

Thanks!

Last edited by spikyone; Mar 20, 2008 at 3:32 am Reason: fix itin formatting

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.