Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Qantas | Frequent Flyer
Reload this Page >

Help with Honeymoon to get to Platinum! :-)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Help with Honeymoon to get to Platinum! :-)

Search this Thread

Old Apr 22, 2003, 5:28 pm

Location: BNE, Australia...not too far from the nearest Qantas Pub err Club
Dunno why I thought you were in discount Y - must read more carefully...

Keep in mind what Dave Noble noted earlier - if you can find a US AA leg greater than 2700 miles (eg BOS-SFO), and it's a 2 class service (F and Y), you will score 150 SCs instead of 100.
Old Apr 22, 2003, 11:28 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA GGL; SK EBG; QF LTG; Hilton Diamond, A-Club Platinum, Marriott Platinum
My thoughts on LHR/MAN and ORD/TVC (no C anyway) was that these small flights would be more cost effective to just purchase a discount Y fare and save the 20 flights for the more important ones.

I have two questions,
1. Can I go via SFO/BOS/MIAorDFW to CUN for the F leg, as I have a USA sector or does the JFK/SYD while one flight number count as the trans USA sector?
2. Can I do SYD-CHC-MEL-PER-SYD-SIN as recommended (that is more credits) but I am crossing Australia twice?

I know alot of these are travel agent questions, but in DK they have limited experience of Oneworld products and the Danish mentality is 'but sir you are taking longer, I will book the shortest flights for you' and total failure to understand miles and status.

So I want to have as much done before I have that discussion.

Mark
Old Apr 23, 2003, 12:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

You can across Aust twice, depending on where on the east coast you depart/arrive
You can only do 1 flight either BNE/CNS/SYD-PER or MEL/SYD-DRW.
For example SYD-PER-MEL is legal, provided you do no go to/from DRW-MEL/SYD
SYD-PER-BNE is not legal with or with out DRW

MEL-NRT at 5018 miles is good for miles /160 SC. ie. 60 extra SC if in C.
SYD-NRT is only 4797 miles / 100 SC in C.

So to get into Asia & into Europe
MEL-NRT-HKG-SIN-LHR (5018-1824-1608-6755)
MEL-NRT-HKG-DPS-HKG-LHR (5018-1824-2114-2114-5994)
or similair

The QF service DPS-SIN finishes at the end of July, to be replaced by an Australian Airlines flight

[This message has been edited by Mwenenzi (edited 04-23-2003).]
Old Apr 23, 2003, 5:47 pm
NM

Programs: AA Plat & LTG; QF LTG
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Koru Flyer:
I have two questions,
1. Can I go via SFO/BOS/MIAorDFW to CUN for the F leg, as I have a USA sector or does the JFK/SYD while one flight number count as the trans USA sector?
</font>
The JFK-SYD is not seen as a US Trans-Continent flight so long as it is a single ticket coupon (ie no stop-over in LAX), so you can do that as well as SFO-BOS.
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">2. Can I do SYD-CHC-MEL-PER-SYD-SIN as recommended (that is more credits) but I am crossing Australia twice?
</font>
Yes you can do this since you are not starting the trip in Australia. If starting in Australia you could not re-enter Australia after leaving for CHC. MEL-PER is not a restricted flight on OneWorld Explorer.
Old Apr 23, 2003, 8:48 pm
Original Member

Location: Portland OR Double Emerald (QF and AA), DL PM/MM, Starwood Plat
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Koru Flyer:
So I want to have as much done before I have that discussion.</font>
Download a Oneworld flight planner (I like the CX one, it includes almost all Oneworld flights, download from http://www.cathaypacific.com/intl/pl...le/0,,,00.html ) and construct your trip, then send the output of that to the travel agent. Works quite well and usually you get the routing you want.
You could indeed go SFO-BOS-MIA-CUN or even SFO-BOS-JFK-CUN on AA and get some more points, also makes a nice routing.
Should be a nice trip, now you just have to pick some interesting hotels along the way.
Old Apr 24, 2003, 12:25 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA GGL; SK EBG; QF LTG; Hilton Diamond, A-Club Platinum, Marriott Platinum
Thanks for your help, looks like I can get over the magical 1400 points.

Now all I have to do is convince the wife to be that this is sensible! (showing her the picture of the BA beds in C always helps ).

Mark
Old Apr 24, 2003, 4:35 pm
og
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: QF WP/LTG | UA P

Now all I have to do is convince the wife to be that this is sensible! (showing her the picture of the BA beds in C always helps ).

Mark
</font>
The research into figuring out when is the best time to break the good news (or bad news) about the itinerary usually takes longer than the research about the itinerary itself......
Old Apr 24, 2003, 11:53 pm
Original Poster

unfortunately that is all too true.........

As she has been on a plane every second day for the last two months, no is not the time

Mark

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.