Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Qantas | Frequent Flyer
Reload this Page >

Guest Access at International QC and Partner Lounges

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 8, 2003, 8:23 pm
NM
Original Poster

Programs: AA Plat & LTG; QF LTG

I will shortly be taking the family on an extended RTW trip and would really like to make use of QC and partner lounges around the world. I am considering joining Mrs. NM up with a QC Partner membership. However, my reading of the QC rules regarding guest passes is that only one guest can be admitted per member at an international QC lounge or partner lounge.

We will be traveling with out 3 children as well as Mrs. NM's parents. I have an abundence of guest passes. How strict are the various lounges likely to be regarding two members (me as WP plus a Partner QC member) admitting two other adults and letting the kids in as well? Strickly by the rules even if one of the out-laws had a membership we still could not get all seven into the lounge.

The places where lounge access would be most appreciated (for showers etc) is YYZ (departing BA), LHR T1 departing BA (only 5 of us, so that might be ok), FRA (departing CX), and HKG (departing QF).

If we are not likely to be allowed to take an extra guest of two, then there is not much point in purchasing the partner membership. Maybe I just take them in one at a time for a shower using my WP card??

Any thoughts or experiences in this area?
Old Apr 8, 2003, 10:15 pm

Programs: QF WP, LTG, QP on hold
This is waaay out of date, but a personal experience. October 1999 I went to the joint BA/QF lounge in HKG with my (then) 80 year old, frail looking grandmother and my husband who was hopping on crutches with a broken foot.

They put up quite a fight before they eventually let us in. And they wouldn't even entertain letting them two of them in without me when I suggested that - both of them needed the lounge!

Alas, I don't remember what persuaded them to let us all in in the end, but I shall ask both of them and see if they remember.

Audrey
Old Apr 8, 2003, 11:31 pm

Programs: QF Plat+ LTG/ OW Emerald, VA Plat, NZ Gold, HH Diamond, Hyatt Whatsit. Taxation is theft.
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by NM:
If we are not likely to be allowed to take an extra guest of two, then there is not much point in purchasing the partner membership. Maybe I just take them in one at a time for a shower using my WP card??

Any thoughts or experiences in this area?
</font>
A couple of years ago with the combined powers of 1 WP (me) and two QC Silv, I managed to get a total of 6 guests into the J International lounge in SYD. Might have helped that one of the QC Silv was a guv'mint type who, when asked "do you have a lounge access card", answered "I have this card here, that opens every door in this terminal". 'Nuff Said.

The kids shouldn't be too much of a problem, but it wouldn't hurt if your wife was a QC member. Why not join her up for 70K points, rather than cash?

How old are the brats?

Old Apr 9, 2003, 12:13 am
NM
Original Poster

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by shillard:
The kids shouldn't be too much of a problem, but it wouldn't hurt if your wife was a QC member. Why not join her up for 70K points, rather than cash?

How old are the brats?
</font>
I can join her for 37,500 Diners Club points, which is better than 70K QF points. But I can also transfer those DC points to QF for a one-way Y-&gt;J upgrade BNE-LAX sometime and that is worth a lot more than the $350 cash option (which earns some points as well!).

The brats are 6, 9, 10 years old and plenty used to QC environment and behavour due to numerous visits to the BNE QC lounge in the past (where they let me in with wife and 3 kids for the cost of 1 or 2 guest passes on many ocasions).

Looks like the inlaws can't justify spending $614 it would cost them for a membership. So they might be sitting at the gate lounge while we shower and quaff in the real lounges!
Old Apr 9, 2003, 1:28 am

I find the BA lounges highly erratic in their policies.

I usually never have any trouble with taking 2 adults with me into the terraces in Europe & UK though sometimes they want guest passes other times they don't care.
Old Apr 9, 2003, 2:06 am

Programs: QF WP, Starwood Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, Avis President's Club, Amex Platinum
You'll have no chance in FRA - QF club onlyu gives access when flying QF, BA, AA & US. As far as T1 LHR goes, I think you'd have a good chance of getting in if the lounge is not too busy - I have taken up to three people in on my QF WP card.

As it happens, YYZ is where I had one of my WORST experiences. There were five of us travelling, and I was QF WP, one was QF SG, and the rest no status. Would they let in the fifth person - no way !! But that might have just been the agent on the day ...
Old Apr 9, 2003, 3:12 am
NM
Original Poster

Yep, always expected FRA would be a problem. As a WP I can use the BA lounge (as small and poky as it is on the lower level). Not sure what CX offer - probably something like QF use the Delta Crown Lounge, so probably no access based on QC Partner membership.

Hopefully your YYZ experience is not one that I will find repeated.
Old Apr 10, 2003, 3:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I've taken 4 people with no status into the BA T1 lounge - as Ozzie says they are normally pretty reasonable if the lounge isn't busy. T4 can be VERY different....

HKG can be really difficult - they apply the rules rigidly.
Old Apr 10, 2003, 4:42 am

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Swanhunter:

HKG can be really difficult - they apply the rules rigidly.
</font>
Since HKG is a shared BA/QF lounge they operate for QFClub members as a QF Club and for BA Exec Club as such. The apply both sets of policies regaurding admission for the relevant member.
Old Apr 10, 2003, 5:46 am
og
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: QF WP/LTG | UA P
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by NM:
Yep, always expected FRA would be a problem. As a WP I can use the BA lounge (as small and poky as it is on the lower level).</font>
The FRA lounge seems to be designed by the McDonalds seat people - designed to be functional (ie a place to put your bum for an hour) but not welcoming (ie dont hang around!).
Old Apr 10, 2003, 11:28 am
In Memoriam

Programs: Mucci
I find that *generally* (but not always, depends on what time of the month it is for the woman on reception, or something like that) they only apply the access rules to the adults and SOME of the kids, and let the rest of the kids in for free.

I have absolutely no problem getting myself, my partner, my mother and two kids in to QF lounges, having to supply only one guest pass (for my mother). They seem to have a policy that adults are entitled to access, and kids cannot really run around the terminal whilst the adults are enjoying themselves.

Mind you, my brats have been well trained (a la NM's brats) about how to behave in airline lounges.

Dave
Old Apr 10, 2003, 11:18 pm
NM
Original Poster

thadocta, there is a difference in the published rules for domestic and international lounges. Definately states 2 guests per member/WP/SG for domestic and only one for international lounges. My experience with domestic lounges is similar to yours, with fairly liberal access for brats.
Old Apr 11, 2003, 1:51 am

Location: Brisbane (BNE), Australia, QF/VA Forums Meeting Organiser
Programs: VA Plat, QF Gold (97.4% LTG), QP Life, AA (66% LTG). HH Diamond. Amex Plat, Visa Plat
NM after our discussion today, I'm sure it'll work out - pity I can't give you my card but I'll be needing it over the next couple of weeks.
Old Apr 11, 2003, 5:55 am

Look, we were amazed at the number of guy plus wife plus three kids (all adorable and blond) going into the AAdmiral's clubs on a single card -- saw two at ORD-HK go through and one lot at STL as well. No wonder they don't have free food. Mind you, these were all AA cards from what I saw, but I'd say the American's have soft spots for the wholesome family image. Indeed.

------------------
Glen,
QFAA
Old Apr 11, 2003, 6:55 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by QFAA:
Look, we were amazed at the number of guy plus wife plus three kids (all adorable and blond) going into the AAdmiral's clubs on a single card -- saw two at ORD-HK go through and one lot at STL as well. No wonder they don't have free food. Mind you, these were all AA cards from what I saw, but I'd say the American's have soft spots for the wholesome family image. Indeed.

</font>
Admirals Club members can take their entire family as guests with them when they go into Admirals Clubs as part of the benefits (limited though they are) of membership

Dave

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.