Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Vegemite vs Marmite

Search this Thread

Old Mar 31, 2003, 8:36 pm
NM

Programs: AA Plat & LTG; QF LTG
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by thadocta:
Ahhhh yes, you haven't lived until you have done a "Tim Tam Suck" - is even better with the Dark Chocolate Tim Tams.

Dave
</font>
Never been a fan of dark chocolate. I still like the plain boring originals, and the caramel one of course .

I loike watching first-timers try the Tim Tam Suck and end up with a sticky mess over the fingers .
Old Mar 31, 2003, 8:41 pm

Alrighty, I need some of you bloody Aussies to back me up with your votes for fave breakfast spread over on the OMNI forum

http://www.flyertalk.com/travel/fttr...ML/010448.html
Old Apr 1, 2003, 2:25 am

Programs: QF
After perusing this thread, I couldn’t help seizing upon the previously-secret information that there is somewhere in the US where people don’t roll their Rs in that incredibly annoying way. Thanks for the info, pointsgirl.

Is it true? I’ve often thought of visiting the US, but have been deterred by the unpalatable way the people mangle English.

If Boston really has people who know how to pronounce such words as last, past, fast and mast, and don’t say earrs, fearrs and of course Cheerrs, I’ll take the plunge and visit, even if I have to tolerate being considered a “travelerr” instead of a “traveller”. Just so long as I can do it on Qantas or BA.

Suppose that means the long way round.
Old Apr 1, 2003, 4:53 am

Location: Brisbane (BNE), Australia, QF/VA Forums Meeting Organiser
Programs: VA Plat, QF Gold (97.4% LTG), QP Life, AA (66% LTG). HH Diamond. Amex Plat, Visa Plat
With a name like Ekka, you're from Brisbane!! Welcome to FT (on behalf of our moderator, Willyroo, also a Brisbaner).

I love hearing accents (particularly Irish, English and American - well certain American ones), but like you, one making it sound like a shocked kitten curdles my hearig.

Ekka, get out there to the wild blue yonder and explore. Push your comfort zone. and make sure you introduce them to a XXXX

(Edited to fix that bolding mistake again)
[Note to self - learn how to type using Shify key properly]

[This message has been edited by QF WP (edited 04-01-2003).]
Old Apr 1, 2003, 6:07 am

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Ekka:
After perusing this thread, I couldn’t help seizing upon the previously-secret information that there is somewhere in the US where people don’t roll their Rs in that incredibly annoying way. Thanks for the info, pointsgirl.</font>
I do not have the typical "Boston Accent" but it took a lot of hard work on my part to get rid of it. I find the "Boston Accent" just as annoying as you do.
Old Apr 1, 2003, 6:41 am
NM

Programs: AA Plat & LTG; QF LTG
Singalong time folks.

Could not resist posting this one!

[This message has been edited by NM (edited 04-01-2003).]
Old Apr 1, 2003, 6:57 am

Ekka, welcome to FlyerTalk!

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Ekka:
I’ll take the plunge and visit, even if I have to tolerate being considered a “travelerr” instead of a “traveller”.

</font>
Oh, pleeease. You know you'll *******ize, as well, pronouncing it "trayvlah"

You're right about the Boston access being strange.

JIMMY CARTER becomes "Carta"
while the
MAGNA CARTA becomes "Carter"

I never understood it. I've just been criticized for overenunciating, because I have this tendency to pronouce most of the letters in words.
Old Apr 1, 2003, 7:00 am

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by First in Class:

You know you'll *******ize, as well, pronouncing it "trayvlah"
</font>
Ooh. My very first time being censored by the FT android. I didn't think, as you would say phonetically, "baystedoyz" was a bad word.

Old Apr 1, 2003, 7:58 am

lol, thanks guys... the vegemites are way ahead now
Old Apr 1, 2003, 3:05 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by First in Class:
Ooh. My very first time being censored by the FT android. I didn't think, as you would say phonetically, "baystedoyz" was a bad word.

</font>
Heh - it even censors the name of IFE equipment maker Matsu****a.
Old Apr 2, 2003, 1:33 am

Programs: QF
Thanks, QF WP, and you’re right. I wasn’t sure where to put BNE etc in the profile form. Looking forward to asking for a Fourex in the real Cheers, if it exists. What I wrote was tongue-in-cheek, as I also have an interest in accents, being particularly fascinated how Australians and Americans evolved completely different accents despite having much the same ethnic mix in early days.

The most interesting difference is the R, and why North Americans pronounce it in words in which it historically existed only as a guide to the vowel sound, and not as a consonant, whereas all other former British colonies follow the practice of pronouncing it only when necessary.

But can I get to Boston on Qantas?
Old Apr 2, 2003, 12:15 pm

I also have an interest in accents, being particularly fascinated how Australians and Americans evolved completely different accents despite having much the same ethnic mix in early days.</font>

What I fail to understand is how you deviated so far from the mother tongue in the first place. English is, after all, the language of Shakespeare.

Old Apr 2, 2003, 3:04 pm

The most interesting difference is the R, and why North Americans pronounce it in words in which it historically existed only as a guide to the vowel sound, and not as a consonant, whereas all other former British colonies follow the practice of pronouncing it only when necessary. </font>
Apologies if I'm being slow, but which sorts of words do you have in mind? Last/past etc as mentioned before?

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">But can I get to Boston on Qantas?
</font>
Yes. sort of. Have done this many times. Take Qantas to LAX, then pick up AA12 to Boston. From Sydney, you only need to ticket & check-in once, and I suppose it would be the same connecting BNE to Syd first.

nb, it is sometimes (but not always) cheaper to just take QF107 to NYC, then take Amtrak or the Delta/AA shuttle up to Boston, for which tix (last time I looked) are around US$100.
Old Apr 2, 2003, 8:11 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by aura:
nb, it is sometimes (but not always) cheaper to just take QF107 to NYC, then take Amtrak or the Delta/AA shuttle up to Boston, for which tix (last time I looked) are around US$100.</font>
It is more than that now.
Old Apr 2, 2003, 8:13 pm

You're right about the Boston access being strange.

JIMMY CARTER becomes "Carta"
while the
MAGNA CARTA becomes "Carter"
</font>
Actually the Boston accent is worse than that.

Water = Wata
Car = Ca
Year =Yea
Orange =Oange
Hearing =Hearin
Wearing = wearin

Oh My how I hate hearing that!!

[This message has been edited by pointsgirl (edited 04-02-2003).]

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.