Wiki Posts
Search

Fare Class -> Status credits?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 17, 2002, 4:41 am
Original Poster

Programs: , QF Plat (SWSWP), KrisFlyer Silver, SPG Plat
Fare Class -> Status credits?

Can anyone enlighten me as to which fare classes in economy are eligible for the full economy status credits? Most of my transpacific flights are in B-class fares, yet I only get 40 credits per pacific crossing.

Is it just Y?

I'm up to my fifth return flight this year (>100K miles) and will only just make Gold

Cheers.
Old Nov 17, 2002, 9:43 am
In Memoriam

Programs: Mucci
Has to be in Y to get Economy credits - everything else that seats you down the back gets you Discount Economy.

Dave
Old Nov 17, 2002, 2:13 pm

Location: BNE, Australia...not too far from the nearest Qantas Pub err Club
This suggestion depends on how much time you have to get from MEL to US (assuming LAX)

Buy one J flight, travel MEL-SYD-HNL-LAX, and you'll get 500 status points. Even in discount Y, it's worth 140 status points each trip - as opposed to your current 80 per trip. NM can probably suggest the optimum MEL-LAX "status run"!

Don't forget also, once you qualify for Gold, your "status bonus" almost doubles, and that means a lot more points per flight. And of course all the other "goodies" that come with Gold.

(Edited for accidental emoticon)

[This message has been edited by willyroo (edited 11-17-2002).]
Old Nov 17, 2002, 3:08 pm

Programs: QF Plat+ LTG/ OW Emerald, VA Plat, NZ Gold, HH Diamond, Hyatt Whatsit. Taxation is theft.
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Ysardine:
Can anyone enlighten me as to which fare classes in economy are eligible for the full economy status credits? Most of my transpacific flights are in B-class fares, yet I only get 40 credits per pacific crossing.Is it just Y?
I'm up to my fifth return flight this year (&gt;100K miles) and will only just make Gold
</font>
Yup, it's full-Y or bust.

Why not incorporate other sectors into each of these runs, such as going SYD-MEL-LAX or SYD-BNE-LAX, and likewise on return?

It's bound to add SFA to the cost, and will get you at least an extra 20 status credits for each return journey.

Old Nov 17, 2002, 5:32 pm
NM

Programs: AA Plat & LTG; QF LTG
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by shillard:

Why not incorporate other sectors into each of these runs, such as going SYD-MEL-LAX or SYD-BNE-LAX, and likewise on return?

It's bound to add SFA to the cost, and will get you at least an extra 20 status credits for each return journey.
</font>
Better still, ... AKL (so long as not starting from BNE) and get the &gt;1000 mile status for MEL-AKL and the same AKL-LAX as you would from MEL-LAX.

As willyroo mentioned, HNL is an option, but connections times are really bad unless you want to stopover in HNL. And you have to fly AA from HNL-LAX which might give more legroom in economy, but that's about the only benefit! I'll take the QF 744 with personal IFE over a AA 757/767 in their Pacific Config any day.
Old Nov 17, 2002, 8:44 pm

Programs: QF Plat+ LTG/ OW Emerald, VA Plat, NZ Gold, HH Diamond, Hyatt Whatsit. Taxation is theft.
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by NM:
Originally posted by shillard:

</font>
Better still, ... AKL (so long as not starting from BNE) and get the &gt;1000 mile status for MEL-AKL and the same AKL-LAX as you would from MEL-LAX.

As willyroo mentioned, HNL is an option, but connections times are really bad unless you want to stopover in HNL.
Yeah, that's why I didn't mention HNL. Didn't think of AKL, does it make much difference to the fare?

Old Nov 17, 2002, 11:14 pm
NM

Programs: AA Plat & LTG; QF LTG
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by shillard:
Yeah, that's why I didn't mention HNL. Didn't think of AKL, does it make much difference to the fare?</font>
Not on a RTW fare , which is often cheaper than a point-to-point fare to ports east of LAX anyway. Then you can really max it out!
Old Nov 18, 2002, 1:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Just noticed something on my girlfriend's account over the weekend. A sector on BA's WT+ got economy (100%) miles and "full economy" status points.

Considering that you can get discounted WT+ fares for much much less than full WT (Y) fares, that was a nice little bonus. (You can often upgrade a dirt cheap discount economy fare to WT+ for GBP 200 or GBP 300 per sector.)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.