Search

Arrivals Lounge in SYD?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 18, 2002, 12:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP 3 MM; Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium Elite
Arrivals Lounge in SYD?

Does Qantas operate arrivals lounges in SYD?

I'll be coming off QF 002 from BKK in First Class and was just wondering.

Thanks!
Old Feb 18, 2002, 6:13 pm

Programs: QF LT Gold, AA LT Plat and SQ bottom feeder..
No they don't. You can get across to the domestic terminal by taxi or train (5 mins) and then head for the Qantas club which is on the departure side of Qantas domestic.
If you have checked baggage it is a pain as you have to lug it around, take it thru security screening etc. unless you really HAVE to I would wait till you got to your hotel.
Old Feb 18, 2002, 8:02 pm

Programs: QF Platinum One (LTG), UA Plat IHG Plat
Er why not use the QF international-domestic transfer bus? the checkin transfer area is at the extrme right end of the international arrivals area (from the perspective of the arriving pax) - and is well signposted (also follow signs for the train). I used it and that was fine. They have a bag re-checkin area, bp issuing and of course the shuttle to QF domestic that gets you to just near gate 1.

------------------
RichardMEL, UA 1K
A Star Alliance Member.
Old Feb 18, 2002, 9:20 pm

Programs: QF Plat (Life Gold), SQ PPS
Apparently he isn't transferring to a domestic flight so he won't be able to use the transfer bus...

[This message has been edited by whughes3 (edited 02-18-2002).]
Old Feb 19, 2002, 2:31 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by AshleyF:
No they don't. You can get across to the domestic terminal by taxi or train (5 mins) and then head for the Qantas club which is on the departure side of Qantas domestic.
If you have checked baggage it is a pain as you have to lug it around, take it thru security screening etc. unless you really HAVE to I would wait till you got to your hotel.
</font>
On top of this you may well get there and quite likely not be permitted access since you are not a departing passenger.

Dave
Old Feb 19, 2002, 11:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Thanks for the replies.

I am actually not making a connecting flight. The reason I am asking is that the flight gets-in to SYD quite early and I'm sure a room will not be ready at my hotel when I arrive. It would be nice to get a shower before leaving the airport and spending the day without a room.

Old Feb 19, 2002, 11:51 am

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by PresRDC:
Thanks for the replies.

I am actually not making a connecting flight. The reason I am asking is that the flight gets-in to SYD quite early and I'm sure a room will not be ready at my hotel when I arrive. It would be nice to get a shower before leaving the airport and spending the day without a room.

</font>

What hotel are you going to stay at. I have arrived early and managed to get a room at the Hilton without problems. Alternatively, if the hotel has gym/swimming pool facilities , then there would be showers in there which you would have no problems using.

I wouldn't try turning up at the QF domestic club if you are travelling with luggage since I think (a) the security checkpoint probably will not let your through and , if they did, (b) the lounge may not let you in anyway.

If you are travelling hand baggage only, you might be ok.

Dave
Old Feb 19, 2002, 4:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

I'll be staying at the Sheraton on the Park.

It sounds like the chances of getting into the lounge are slim and even if they were not, it wouldn't be worth the effort.

Thanks again!
Old Feb 19, 2002, 4:31 pm
In Memoriam

Programs: Mucci
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by PresRDC:
I'll be staying at the Sheraton on the Park.

It sounds like the chances of getting into the lounge are slim and even if they were not, it wouldn't be worth the effort.
</font>
And knowing the Sheraton on the Park, I think they will go to some effort to accommodate you. My advice is to go straight to the hotel.

Dave
Old Feb 19, 2002, 7:16 pm
NM

Programs: AA Plat & LTG; QF LTG
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by thadocta:
And knowing the Sheraton on the Park, I think they will go to some effort to accommodate you. My advice is to go straight to the hotel.

Dave
</font>
I also suggest contacting the hotel before hand and letting them know you will be arriving early and they will do their best to have a room ready for you.
Old Feb 20, 2002, 10:15 am

Location: Los Angeles, CA UA Premier Exec, AA Platinum, Marriott Gold
I would think this is an issue for many American travellers, considering most of the flights from SFO and LAX (on QF, UA, and NZ) get in between 7:30 and 8:30 in the morning Sydney time. The hotels must be used to guests trying to check in early.

(We're going to have the same issue next week at the Renaissance coming in on UA 815).
Old Feb 20, 2002, 11:07 am

Programs: Mucci Des Oeufs Brouilles et des Canards
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by travellin man:
I would think this is an issue for many American travellers, considering most of the flights from SFO and LAX (on QF, UA, and NZ) get in between 7:30 and 8:30 in the morning Sydney time. The hotels must be used to guests trying to check in early.
</font>
It's also the same going to/from Europe. There is one QF flight a day from London where you land in the evening in Oz. I seem to suffer less noticable jet lag from this as I land around 6ish and stay up till 11 before going to bed. No problems with hotels with extra night charges etc.

Does anyone know why they all seem to arrive first thing in the morning? I can't imagine too many people walking off a 24 hr flight and wanting to go to a business meeting or a day in the office. I told my boss I wanted at least 24hrs off before I go to the office to get over the jetlag and that ususally isn't enough!!
Old Feb 20, 2002, 11:52 am

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by dddc:

Does anyone know why they all seem to arrive first thing in the morning? I can't imagine too many people walking off a 24 hr flight and wanting to go to a business meeting or a day in the office. I told my boss I wanted at least 24hrs off before I go to the office to get over the jetlag and that ususally isn't enough!!
</font>
I have gone to the office soon after arriving at 5am before into Melbourne but having travelled 1st class down and had a good sleep en route, was quite ok for a day at work. If I cant lie down, then I find it dire, but QF 1st or BA j or 1st is fine for it.

Dave

Dave
Old Feb 20, 2002, 4:39 pm
NM

Programs: AA Plat & LTG; QF LTG
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by dddc:
Does anyone know why they all seem to arrive first thing in the morning? I can't imagine too many people walking off a 24 hr flight and wanting to go to a business meeting or a day in the office. I told my boss I wanted at least 24hrs off before I go to the office to get over the jetlag and that ususally isn't enough!!</font>
Its all to do with airport curfues really. If you leave LHR any earlier in the afternoon, you will get into Sydney before the curfue. If you try to get into Syd later in the day, you hit the LHR curfue.

There are only two small windows for leaving LHR and arriving SYD outside curfue times without long Asia layovers.

If you leave LHR much befor 10pm, you will arrive in SYD too early. Some LHR-MEL flights leave earlier and arrive MEL between 4-6am (no curfue in MEL).

The other option is to leave LHR in the morning (as BA21 does) and arrive SYD mid afternoon. The problem here is connections at either end. So the demand for these times is reduced, hence the lower number of flights.

By leaving LHR late in the day, people can complete a days work or make connections from other parts. By arriving early, you can make connections in SYD very easily. If you arrive in SYD at 7:45pm (BA21), once you add the necessary 90mins connection time, you don't have many options.

Hope this helps.
NM
Old Feb 21, 2002, 4:13 am

Yeah, it's not part of the Australian culture to allow lounge visits on arrival -- not a problem with AAdmirals clubs for example, just a trend which hasn't caught on in Oz. Not sure why -- just tradition perhaps.

------------------
Glen,
QFAA

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.