Wiki Posts
Search

F seat suggestions LAX-SYD and back?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 13, 2001, 2:09 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA-PLT, UA-Prem, BA-Silver, SPG-PLT, Hyatt-PLT, Hilton-GLD
F seat suggestions LAX-SYD and back?

My partner and I are flying LAX-SYD and MEL-SYD-LAX in F later this month. Have seen some of the previous suggestions on seating but wondering about current thoughts.

We are currently in 3EF for LAX-SYD SYD-LAX as people have suggested that 2EF are a bit too close to the aisle seats. Can anyone suggest any improvement on that? We tried the A / E across the aisle combination previously on an AA flight with Suites and found it anoying to talk to each other given the distance and the fact that the rows don't line up across the aisle.

Also are flying in J on MEL-SYD (as there is no F) any suggestions on seats for this short flight?
Old Dec 13, 2001, 2:13 pm
Original Poster

Sorry forgot to mention that MEL-SYD is on a 767.

Also, we have a 1 hour connection in SYD which QF/AA assures me is a legal connection but seems a bit short to me to get from domestic to international.
Old Dec 13, 2001, 3:04 pm

Programs: QFF Platinum
Sorry I can not help with the F sector, but for your information you can not preassign seats for the Domestic sector, even in J.
Old Dec 13, 2001, 3:16 pm
Original Poster

Aussie Miles -

I know I can't preassign, was just wondering what I should ask for at check-in.

BTW how do you guys in Oz deal with no preassigned seating at the time of reservation? I was shocked when I found out I couldn't get advanced seat assignments when I made my reservations for a series of upcoming Oz domestic flights!
Old Dec 13, 2001, 6:11 pm

Easy, we just get so sloshed on the free booze in the QANTAS Club prior to boarding that we couldn't care less what seat we were poured into.

How do you guys in the Land of the Free deal with no free alcohol in the Admirals Clubs?
Old Dec 14, 2001, 12:06 am

Programs: QFF Platinum
Fly Lots - I prefer Row 1, it is easily the best J row IMHO.
Old Dec 14, 2001, 1:38 am

The computer will continually assess your trans-pacific progress and automatically re-book you on to a later flight if late.

Depending on the time of day that flight will be only 30-60 mins later anyway.

Old Dec 14, 2001, 3:15 am

Programs: QF WP, Starwood Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, Avis President's Club, Amex Platinum
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by FlyLots:
Aussie Miles -

I know I can't preassign, was just wondering what I should ask for at check-in.

BTW how do you guys in Oz deal with no preassigned seating at the time of reservation? I was shocked when I found out I couldn't get advanced seat assignments when I made my reservations for a series of upcoming Oz domestic flights!
</font>
Yes - but Qantas frequent flyers have their preferred seating arrangements in the system - if you are an upper tier frquent flyer, you can pretty much guarantee your choice of seat .... Do you have status on any OW carrier ? If so, Qantas will give you preferred seating .... you have NO choice at check-in though, as all seats are allocated prior to check-in.

Old Dec 14, 2001, 3:56 am
NM

Programs: AA Plat & LTG; QF LTG
And most domestic flights in Australia are less than 2 hours (Perth, Cairns and Darwin being exceptions) so seat assignment is not really a major issue.

My FF seat preference is forwrad aisle and I am always in the foirst few rows of whatever class is booked.

The 767 domestic seating may be 2x2x2 or 1x2x2 depending on the config. There is not really much difference. If travelling with someone else, you will want to sit together (unless something with wrong in the relationship over the Pacific!) so two seats together is probably the most important.

A 1 hour connection is tight but generally ok. QF fly Syd/Mel every 30 mins during the day,so even if you miss it, don't panic, they will already have you rebooked on a new flight. Mind you, I would probably have booked a 2 hour connection just to give me a chance to have a shower at the domestic lounge and freshen up without the pressure, but that is a personal preference.
Old Dec 14, 2001, 5:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: former Olympic Airways Gold (yeah - still proud of that!)
Can confirm that row three is OK - you want to avoid row 4 as the A and K seats stick out and make for a very small aisle.

As for the domestic flight - anything in Row 1 is good - although they say you cannot pre-assign, you can ask for a note to be put into the booking. This usually works.

Cheers

WG
Old Dec 14, 2001, 6:55 am
In Memoriam

Programs: Mucci
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by 3544quebec:
Easy, we just get so sloshed on the free booze in the QANTAS Club prior to boarding that we couldn't care less what seat we were poured into.</font>
There was one occasion I arrived at the Sydney lounge at around 1700, my flight was not utnil 2100. Despite my ticket being unchangeable, they asked me if I wanted to go on the 1800 flight - I said no. The 1830? No. The 1900? No. They eventually got the hint.

I can vaguely remember being poured onto the plane, and being woken up after landing. I don't remember being poured into a cab, but I got to Collingwood okay - I must have, I woke up there the next morning.

Those double bourbons and dry took their toll.

Dave
Old Dec 14, 2001, 7:00 am
In Memoriam

Programs: Mucci
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by FlyLots:
BTW how do you guys in Oz deal with no preassigned seating at the time of reservation? I was shocked when I found out I couldn't get advanced seat assignments when I made my reservations for a series of upcoming Oz domestic flights!</font>
We cope quite well, thanks to the ample free plonk in the lounge.

One of the reasons for not preassiging is that the Australian airline industry is rather volatile, and delays can occur systemwide, mainly because of Sydney Airport. Delays at Sydney can snowball across the entire system. As a result, aircraft changes happen regularly - i.e. a flight that was originally scheduled to be a 767-338 might suddenly become a 767-336, with a different seating configuration.

Whilst the computer can reseat everyone perfectly well, if "pre-seating" was permitted, it would then have to take this into consideration, and not everyone would be satisfied.

Bets to avoid this, and take only preferences, and seat according to those preferences.

Dave
Old Dec 19, 2001, 11:41 pm

Programs: UA Global Services, AA Lifetime ExecPlat, LH HON Circle, SQ PPS Solitaire, Hyatt Courtesy Card
So after reading this column and a few others I found using Search, it seems from this topic 3EF would be suggested as the best seats in F for 2 people traveling together. Another topic said 4EF would be the best. I guess I should be happy to get either 3EF or 4EF and just try not to get assigned to 2EF? Thanks.
Old Dec 23, 2001, 6:59 pm

Programs: QF Bronze
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Multi-Sector:
The computer will continually assess your trans-pacific progress and automatically re-book you on to a later flight if late.

Depending on the time of day that flight will be only 30-60 mins later anyway.

</font>
Actually a real live person keeps track of it, not a computer and then manually re books misconnecting passengers!

Old Dec 23, 2001, 8:21 pm

That's great news to hear that we havn't been completely taken over yet !!!

But - give 'em time !!!!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.