Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Qantas | Frequent Flyer
Reload this Page >

2 airlines, 1 ticket, 2 reward flights?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 29, 2001, 6:21 am
Original Poster

Programs: NZ Gold Elite, BA, UA, QF..

Just trying to book a reward flight AKL-LHR via LAX (prefer to fly westwards, just 1 stop). Qantas told me that would require burning points for AKL-LAX and then another set for LAX-LHR. They said that would be a lot more expensive in terms of points. The only way to do it on one award, they said, would be to stay on one airline e.g. AKL-SYD-BKK-LHR on Qantas or AKL-HKG-LHR on Cathay.

When i check Qantas.com.au it says 60,000 (Biz, 1-way) for AKL-LAX and 120,000 for AKL-SYD-LHR, so doesn't look like it would be any more expensive?!

Does this sound right to any/everybody please?

[This message has been edited by gbogo (edited 06-29-2001).]
Old Jul 3, 2001, 12:39 pm

Did you look at OW explorer awards? They may be slightly pricier but flexible.

You will need 2 OW carriers in addition to the carrier issuing the award. I am not sure what the Qantas version is (while BA and AA are quite good). With that, you can choose different carriers (AKL-LAX on QF, LAX-SFO on AA, SFO-LHR on BA for example). On AA something like this should be about the 120K - 150K miles for Biz class.
Old Jul 4, 2001, 3:46 am
Original Poster

Programs: NZ Gold Elite, BA, UA, QF..
Thanks cloud2cloud.

QF quoted me 230,000 points for a One World reward (this is all in Biz class).

The alternative was to do 3 tickets: 60,000 for AKL-LAX on QF, 64,000 for LAX-SFO on AA and 129,000 for SFO-LHR on BA, total 249,000 points!

It's a weird world... Suddenly AKL-SYD-BKK-LHR at 120,000 points is looking good value!!
Old Jul 8, 2001, 9:21 pm

Programs: Too many golds, no plat: OZ*G, AC*G, NZ*G, VA Gold, QF Gold, HH Gold, Bonvoy Gold
Perhaps there's a good reason why not, but... Why can't you fly direct from LAX to LHR on BA? That would at least save you the 64,000 point detour of going via SFO on AA, although it's still more expensive than sticking to Qantas metal. This is one of the things I hate about the Qantas FF programme - flights on their partner airlines cost around double the points of flights on Qantas.

I notice you were talking about booking Air NZ flights in that forum, so if you have *A points why not book AKL-LHR on Air NZ - I keep hearing their J-class is very good (not had the pleasure, myself) and that way you are at least on flights designed to connect with each other, ie less than 2 hours in the hellhole of LAX...
Old Jul 9, 2001, 1:43 am

Programs: QF LT Gold, AA LT Plat and SQ bottom feeder..
You could also try to get a cheap flight to Syney return and take a SYD/LHR return. 195K points for a BC return.?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.