Wiki Posts
Search

How is an airline to be judged?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 22, 2008, 6:59 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by bensyd
While its not to be condoned I think that singling out QF is abit unfair.
Please read my long post above, which explains why I'm talking only about Qantas. Other airlines would have citizens of their respective countries to make corresponding criticisms about them from the equivalent standpoint to mine.
Old Jan 22, 2008, 7:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Exp|VA Platinum
Originally Posted by Antiqantas
Please read my long post above, which explains why I'm talking only about Qantas. Other airlines would have citizens of their respective countries to make corresponding criticisms about them from the equivalent standpoint to mine.
To be honest everything you have said in this thread is similar if not the same as what has been written by yourself before. While I have no problem with you airing your complaints, I don't really have the time/interest to re-read it.

I am Australian so I make my comments regarding QF from the same standpoint as you. The point of my post was two-fold firstly I have seen racist attitudes by QF staff toward Asian people, contractdicting GF's earlier statement, not overt, just small things like being curt with them etc. But to that end I have also seen it on other airlines, and I don't think I need to be from Hong Kong or the United States to know what I saw, which makes me wonder why you choose to pick on QF? Surely with your level of travel (obvious by your status) you would have experienced this sort of thing on more than just QF, I understand your point about QF being the first "Welcome to Australia" that many people receive, but to be fair if most people judged a country by its carrier, the only places we'd visit would be Singapore and Hong Kong
Old Jan 22, 2008, 12:11 pm

Programs: BA Gold(OWE), QF LTG, MR Plat, IHG Spire, Hertz PC
The OP might be interested to read this thread:

http://flyertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=722796

That said, let's hope this thread soon dies.
Old Jan 22, 2008, 3:22 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

I am Australian so I make my comments regarding QF from the same standpoint as you. The point of my post was two-fold firstly I have seen racist attitudes by QF staff toward Asian people, contractdicting GF's earlier statement, not overt, just small things like being curt with them etc. But to that end I have also seen it on other airlines, and I don't think I need to be from Hong Kong or the United States to know what I saw, which makes me wonder why you choose to pick on QF? Surely with your level of travel (obvious by your status) you would have experienced this sort of thing on more than just QF, I understand your point about QF being the first "Welcome to Australia" that many people receive, but to be fair if most people judged a country by its carrier, the only places we'd visit would be Singapore and Hong Kong
It's not my concern how other countries' airlines perform when it comes to welcoming overseas passengers. That's for their citizens to be concerned about. My concern is that my own country, including our national airline and all other relevant organizations, should do the right thing by our visitors.
Old Jan 22, 2008, 8:38 pm

Programs: Gloria Jeans
I have to agree with the OP that there seems to be a default defensive posture taken whenever someone criticises Qantas in this forum. I guess that a lot of Aussies barrack for the airline, I assume out of some form of (misplaced) national pride. The company was privatised long ago and in my opinion does not deserve the moniker of "national carrier" any more. It's just another company.

I also share the OP's dislike of any company rep who disassociates themself from their employer. I'm dealing with someone who does this in our own organisation right now. It seems to take a while to sink in for some. In my opinion, when you are working, you are the company, in the customer's eyes.

And I agree with other posters that rude behviour from airline staff is not the sole domain of Qantas. Unfortunately quite a few airline staff behave in such a manner that they appear to think themselves above members of the travelling public, and act a bit like Basil Fawlty (i.e. the place would run well if it wasn't for the guests).
Old Jan 23, 2008, 4:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Exp|VA Platinum
Originally Posted by Antiqantas
It's not my concern how other countries' airlines perform when it comes to welcoming overseas passengers. That's for their citizens to be concerned about. My concern is that my own country, including our national airline and all other relevant organizations, should do the right thing by our visitors.
I'm not disagreeing with you on that, but I think you need to put airlines in perspective, outside of FT airlines are a dime a dozen to the overwhelming majority. People fly whatever is cheapest, and generally do not connect a poor airline with the citizens of the country whose flag it happens to fly. While Australians may feel some sentimental attachment to Qantas the reality is that the rest of the world can barely spell the name let alone relate it as a symbol of Australia(it would be interesting to see what foreigners associate with Australia, I hope not Fosters).

I think you need to realise that for the majority of our international visitors do not see Qantas in the same way that many Australians, rightly or wrongly, do as an iconic part of Australia, they see it as just another airline.
Old Jan 24, 2008, 12:09 am

Programs: CX Diamond, QF Silver
While Australians may feel some sentimental attachment to Qantas the reality is that the rest of the world can barely spell the name let alone relate it as a symbol of Australia(it would be interesting to see what foreigners associate with Australia, I hope not Fosters).

I think you need to realise that for the majority of our international visitors do not see Qantas in the same way that many Australians, rightly or wrongly, do as an iconic part of Australia, they see it as just another airline.
Ben in fact you are not correct, independent and reputable research (ie not Qantas spin) released last year showed that Qantas is Australia's most recogniseable brand by a country-mile, with Fosters, a distant second. Importantly Qantas is is seen positively (as are Australian's thanks to Crocodile Dundee, Steve Irwin, Dame Edna, Russell Crow) and safe (Rain-man). This is stronger in UK and USA, but also true to a lesser extent in Asia.

But you are correct about people not being able to spell Qantas, with probably as many as 10% of mail received at Qantas (from Australian sources) spelt Quantas.
Old Mar 23, 2011, 6:01 am
Suspended

Angry :mad: i hate iberia :mad:

i created a facebook group. lets fight iberia!

just add friends to this group:
http://www.facebook.com/home.php?sk=...34023166669680

o like the facebook site:
http://www.facebook.com/pages/I-hate...97888306911222

I hate Iberia!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.