Community
Wiki Posts
Search

How is an airline to be judged?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 20, 2008, 11:13 pm

Programs: QF WP LTG, HHonors Diamond, NZ Gold
Originally Posted by workflyer
Is it because of a possible security breach that would make this interesting to the media?
It was because this happened only a couple of years after Locherbie, when everyone was a little more testy than they are now about ensuring that if - for any reason - a passenger mis-connected, their bags were pulled.

BD
Old Jan 21, 2008, 12:17 am

Oh ok so your example is of something that happened nearly 20 years ago
Old Jan 21, 2008, 4:28 am

Programs: QFF WP :-0, AC, FlyBuys, Porter's Liquor Store, Mother's Helper
(removed)

Last edited by willyroo; Jan 21, 2008 at 4:53 am Reason: Removed: yup, a troll!
Old Jan 21, 2008, 4:55 am

Location: BNE, Australia...not too far from the nearest Qantas Pub err Club
[mod hat]

Guys let's keep to the subject at hand - any personal attacks will close the thread and lead to warning and/or suspensions. A timely reminder - please attack the argument not the poster.

Thanks team

[/mod hat]
Old Jan 21, 2008, 5:53 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by GoldFlyer
I object to the notion that: Why the overweight bit and did you really mean to write white in there somewhere as well? Many obese people are already struggling under their own weight and asking then to lift a heavy bag could be the trigger for a heart attack.

I weigh 60kg and stand 183cm, slim but I can lift a decent weight.

From reading your post I agree with some of your points but if your experience with Qantas has been because of the same haughty and pompous prose that you write then I think there might lay your answer. It might be so very British (not saying you are) and endearing to use such language but in Australia we have a pretty laid back and egalitarian society.

Although many Australians have British roots, it is our easy go nature that endures us to the rest of the world - something I'm proud of. It sounds to me as if you arrive at the QF check in counter in an amour with sword drawn. Perhaps next time you fly QF, walk to the desk as if you were naked and engage the agent in some friendly banter - see where it gets you

Oh, and don't tell them you're naked!
Hey, come on, the overweight bit was just a dig at myself (I am overweight though not very obviously so). I don't know about you but I was brought up to be cheerful, courteous, and helpful when I deal with people, and those are the standards I expect, certainly towards our visitors if not towards myself. And please don't lecture me about what it means to be Australian. I was born here and my Aussie accent is at least as authentic as yours. If you care to read through my past posts you'll see that I find it uncomfortable being addressed as "Sir" when I board an aircraft, precisely because it isn't "laid back". Here am I talking about short fuses and unilateral rudeness (largely directed at Asian visitors, I reiterate) and you go off about egalitarian cultures and haughty prose. Tell that to our honored overseas guests who have been insulted by our national airline. I'm sure they'll be delighted with your explanation!
Old Jan 21, 2008, 6:11 am

Programs: QF WP, Starwood Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, Avis President's Club, Amex Platinum
Originally Posted by Lonely Flyer
Now that may be true but until the reason for the crash is determined Boeing should not be blamed.

My best mate is a very experienced captain and over coffee on this last weekend he ventured the most obvious cause will be that they ran out of fuel especially since both engines failed to respond. But please wait for an official verdict which will be in about 6-12 months.
Except that the initial report has said that there was a significant amount of fuel spilled on impact ....
Old Jan 21, 2008, 6:20 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Kiwi Flyer
If it is so bad as you claim, for such an extended period, why do you keep flying QF?
That's the spirit, KF. We don't want to upset the applecart, do we? Let's weed out anyone who cares about the image projected by their national airline and how they treat our Asian visitors. Then we can stop listening to these stories, we can enjoy our new lounges, our new menus, our new aircraft, and we can convince ourselves that everything is fine and dandy. That's the spirit, mate.
Old Jan 21, 2008, 7:52 am

Programs: BA Gold(OWE), QF LTG, MR Plat, IHG Spire, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Antiqantas
That's the spirit, KF. We don't want to upset the applecart, do we? Let's weed out anyone who cares about the image projected by their national airline and how they treat our Asian visitors. Then we can stop listening to these stories, we can enjoy our new lounges, our new menus, our new aircraft, and we can convince ourselves that everything is fine and dandy. That's the spirit, mate.
I hate to say it, but I don't believe Qantas's racism issues are any different to any major Australian public company. I also don't believe it is endemic although I do believe there is certainly room for improvement.
Old Jan 21, 2008, 12:02 pm

Originally Posted by Kiwi Flyer
...why do you keep flying QF?
Indeed! Even to the point of maintaining QFF Platinum no less...
Old Jan 21, 2008, 1:22 pm

Originally Posted by QF009
Perhaps DJ is more racist than QF?
Old Jan 21, 2008, 2:14 pm

Programs: QF WP LTG, HHonors Diamond, NZ Gold
Absolutely ... and kept within context of the OP ....
For 30+ years I've been seeing Qantas staff saying incredibly inappropriate things to customers

BD
Old Jan 21, 2008, 2:30 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by QF009
OK, let me spell it out for you.
  1. What does it take to get through to you and your ilk that I'm complaining about certain behaviors at Qantas, not because they personally annoy me or cause me to have an unpleasant flight or whatever, but because they are WRONG, PLAIN WRONG? Why is that so difficult for you to understand? I don't know what criteria you use for judging an airline but as I implied in the title of this thread, and as I spelled out in my original post, I believe that any airline is only as good as its people.
  2. Apparently you don't understand how miles can be earned so let me make this point: You can conclude almost nothing about how much or how often I've flown on Qantas from the status I have with them. If you don't understand that, then I suggest you brush up on the Qantas frequent flyer program.
  3. Apart from that, if you bothered to read my posts carefully you would realize that many of the incidents I've observed and described relate to Qantas ground staff. Now here's another profound fact about airline travel that you may not be familiar with: It's not actually necessary to be flying with Qantas in order to see their ground staff in operation or to have to interact with them.
A number of people have responded on this thread with thoughtful and intelligent comments. You may wish to consider posting such comments yourself.
Old Jan 21, 2008, 2:35 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Traveloguy
I hate to say it, but I don't believe Qantas's racism issues are any different to any major Australian public company. I also don't believe it is endemic although I do believe there is certainly room for improvement.
I'm sure you're right on the first point, and I'm sure Ansett were no better when they were around. I happen to believe it is an endemic problem, but whether it is or not, the issue with Qantas is more serious than with other public companies, inasmuch as Qantas is the means by which many visitors arrive in this country--it's their first and last impression of this country.
Old Jan 21, 2008, 3:01 pm

OK, let me spell it out for you.
You're too kind.

[*]What does it take to get through to you and your ilk that I'm complaining about certain behaviors at Qantas, not because they personally annoy me or cause me to have an unpleasant flight or whatever, but because they are WRONG, PLAIN WRONG?
By your own admission they have not caused you to have unpleasant flights, and nor have they personally annoyed you - so WHAT'S WRONG?

I believe that any airline is only as good as its people.
Me too - hence I like flying Qantas.

Apparently you don't understand how miles can be earned so let me make this point.
Please do not patronise me.

...I suggest you brush up on the Qantas frequent flyer program.
I know it well enough to avoid the program even if I do actually fly QF.

Apart from that, if you bothered to read my posts carefully you would realize that many of the incidents I've observed and described relate to Qantas ground staff... It's not actually necessary to be flying with Qantas in order to see their ground staff in operation or to have to interact with them.
Point taken. There we have it folks - an airline is to be judged solely by its ground staff instead of a holistic assessment of overrall service delivery. Again I ask if they have not personally annoyed you as you said - what have they done wrong?

Oh wait - because 2nd hand experiences are so reliable.

A number of people have responded on this thread with thoughtful and intelligent comments. You may wish to consider posting such comments yourself.
And my responses will only be as 'thoughtful and intelligent' as the OP.

Cheers,
QF-apologist-at-large

Last edited by Keith009; Jan 21, 2008 at 3:07 pm
Old Jan 21, 2008, 3:16 pm

I'm sure you're right on the first point, and I'm sure Ansett were no better when they were around. I happen to believe it is an endemic problem, but whether it is or not, the issue with Qantas is more serious than with other public companies, inasmuch as Qantas is the means by which many visitors arrive in this country--it's their first and last impression of this country.
Not the point I was trying to make.

I do have to question the motives of starting this thread. Perhaps it is time to stop (edited)...

Last edited by willyroo; Jan 21, 2008 at 4:18 pm Reason: Deleted "feeding the troll"

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.