Wiki Posts
Search

HNL-SYD - Jetstar/QF/AA and upgrades

Search this Thread

Old Nov 19, 2007, 9:57 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AAdv GLD(MM), QF LTS, UA MP_nada, HH Gld, SPG, GoldenCircle Jade
HNL-SYD - Jetstar/QF/AA and upgrades

I am looking at a one way fare LAX-MEL on AA. As far as I can tell there is nothing in the fare that precludes a stopover in HNL. So HNL-MEL would be via SYD. Mon/WEd/Fri it appears HNL-SYD is a QF flight, while other days (or is it every day) it's a Jetstar flight. IN both cases I believe I will be on the AA codeshare since I will be purchasing an AA fare/ticket.
  • I assume other than having to buy just about everything onboard Jetstar, there is not much difference between Y seats between them and QF?
  • Does Jetstar ever/regularly offer Starclass upgrades at checkin, and if so for how much for HNL-SYD?
  • would any potential check-in upgrade be jeopardised by being on the AA codeshare?
Old Nov 19, 2007, 11:17 pm

Programs: QF LTS, Marriott LTP, ALL GOLD
Hi Alect,

I have only flown star class on the HNL sector, so can;t comment on Y, but I presume it to be the same, though I think the JQ catering is still behind in terms of QF's.

The planes are newer with JQ and I do think some people have got upgrades at checkin for around $200
Old Nov 20, 2007, 7:54 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by AN_Boy
Hi Alect,

I have only flown star class on the HNL sector, so can;t comment on Y, but I presume it to be the same, though I think the JQ catering is still behind in terms of QF's.

The planes are newer with JQ and I do think some people have got upgrades at checkin for around $200
how does StarClass compare with QF dreamtime J?
Old Nov 20, 2007, 10:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ►QFWP/LTG►VA WP►HyattExpl.►HiltonGold►ALL Silver
Leather covered "Millenium" seats ...

More here will give you an idea: Jetstar Starclass MEL-BKK-MEL
Old Nov 21, 2007, 10:20 pm

Programs: Hertz PC, QF Plat, Velocity Gold, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by alect
I am looking at a one way fare LAX-MEL on AA. As far as I can tell there is nothing in the fare that precludes a stopover in HNL. So HNL-MEL would be via SYD. Mon/WEd/Fri it appears HNL-SYD is a QF flight, while other days (or is it every day) it's a Jetstar flight. IN both cases I believe I will be on the AA codeshare since I will be purchasing an AA fare/ticket.
  • I assume other than having to buy just about everything onboard Jetstar, there is not much difference between Y seats between them and QF?
  • Does Jetstar ever/regularly offer Starclass upgrades at checkin, and if so for how much for HNL-SYD?
  • would any potential check-in upgrade be jeopardised by being on the AA codeshare?
The only question I can answer for you is the upgrade to star class. It is NOT offered to customers, but you have to ask for it. Seems to be a hassle for them as they still check you in as normal and give you a Y boarding pass. Then you go to the assistance counter, where you pay your $300AUD each and they give you new boarding passes.

Definitely worth it for the status credits, free food, drinks, leg room and nice cabin!

Will be interested to see what the cabin is like on the 787!
Old Nov 21, 2007, 10:35 pm

Location: BNE, Australia...not too far from the nearest Qantas Pub err Club
Originally Posted by alect
how does StarClass compare with QF dreamtime J?
Not a patch on Dreamtime, unfortunately. StarClass is pretty well QF domestic business class, limited pitch, limited legroom, limited recline...
Old Nov 21, 2007, 10:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Better than WHY certainly - not as good as domestic J's millennium seats due to the (sticky for me) leather covering. The powerports don't compensate.
Old Nov 21, 2007, 10:54 pm

So is JQ now an AA partner? I owuld have thought you would only be able to get on the actual QF service if using AA miles?
Old Nov 22, 2007, 12:02 am
NM

Programs: AA Plat & LTG; QF LTG
Originally Posted by AN_Boy
So is JQ now an AA partner? I owuld have thought you would only be able to get on the actual QF service if using AA miles?
JQ is not an AA partner. And it is my understanding that the QF flight number for JQ international flights is only available for QF FF award redemptions.
Old Nov 22, 2007, 7:17 pm

Programs: QF QP NB, PC Plat. Amb, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by NM
JQ is not an AA partner. And it is my understanding that the QF flight number for JQ international flights is only available for QF FF award redemptions.
The QF flight number is also available for QF tickets bought outside of Australia/New Zealand (I'll have the dubious honour of flying JQ from SYD-DPS on a QF code on purchased ticket - the flight via DRW was sold out *sigh*). Even worse, doesn't look like it gets any miles either - at least it still includes food and a blanket though I guess.
Old Nov 22, 2007, 7:22 pm

I only though I would ask as the OP mentioned he would be on an AA ticket and AA codeshare... so i guess the Q's about JQ are irrelevant as he will be on the QF metal?
Old Nov 23, 2007, 11:59 am
Original Poster

Thanks all. I am not using AA Miles - AA paid ticket.

For some reason I thought I saw the JQ flights had an AA codeshare on them too - but either that changed recently or I was imagining They no longer do (at least not int he OW timetable).

They do have a QF codesahre but the ticket rules on the AA ticket require one to travel on the AA codeshared flights HNL-SYD.

Guess we will just go with the Wed/FRi/Sun QF service.....
Old Nov 28, 2007, 7:16 am

Programs: VA Gold, UA, SPG Gold, HH Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Ambassador
Originally Posted by AndDee
The only question I can answer for you is the upgrade to star class. It is NOT offered to customers, but you have to ask for it. Seems to be a hassle for them as they still check you in as normal and give you a Y boarding pass. Then you go to the assistance counter, where you pay your $300AUD each and they give you new boarding passes.

Definitely worth it for the status credits, free food, drinks, leg room and nice cabin!
Well thats cool . How likely is there to be space avail to upgrade?

I am seriously considering this option of flying JQ SYD-HNL rtn and then getting on UA to do the rest of my trip to various US cities as far as JFK - the cost difference is amazing, as opposed to flying ex SYD on UA . I can buy the cheaper upgradeable UA fare as HNL - USA is considered region 1. Its all good. It would be even better if I can get a paid upgrade at the gate into Star class with JQ^.
Old Nov 29, 2007, 4:25 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: QF, VA, AC, Hyatt, Marriott
The consensus from travellers seems to be JQ do allow ODUs to Starclass, for anywhere between $200 and $300, or as much as the difference in fare. However, I have spoken to two different JQ phone operators this week and they both tell me that ODUs aren't possible. Maybe it's a secret!

Also, I'm on QF283, the JQ3 SYD-HNL codeshare service. This was booked from Australia and it isn't a FF redemption so it appears the codeshare can be booked in these circumstances.
Old Nov 29, 2007, 5:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Certainly can; I came home to MEL from HNL in June on a QF codeshare - recieved a feed or two complimentary and a few drinks.

However, No FF points nor SC's - this in a V class booking.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.