Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Qantas | Frequent Flyer
Reload this Page >

Qantas - New Fabrics/New Livery/Premium Economy/A380 Product

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Qantas - New Fabrics/New Livery/Premium Economy/A380 Product

Search this Thread

Old Oct 30, 2007, 5:25 am
og
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: QF WP/LTG | UA P
I finially have seen the SQ A380. Departing SYD-SIN today over Parramatta. It looked much like the Antonov HeavyLift freighter - stubby, huge wing, big tail plane. Doesn't really look like a "real" aircraft because it is not long and skinny (like the DC8-63). However, it was quiet. Much quieter than the "old" 744s that flew over before and after it (at a similar altitude).

Now looking forward to seeing it in QF colours when departing over my house in he inner west of SYD (lower, slower, closer).

It is still fugly.
Old Nov 25, 2007, 10:43 pm

Qantas seat maps have been updated to reflect the new Premium Economy cabin where applicable:

http://www.qantas.com.au/info/flying...aft/seatMap744
Old Nov 25, 2007, 10:54 pm

Programs: QF Plat | UA MP
No hints yet about which actual A/C will have Y+ fitted.
Old Nov 25, 2007, 11:48 pm
og
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: QF WP/LTG | UA P
I had a look at the Y+ seats on display in the QF museum on top of the round bit of SYD T3. The look quite nice in pairs. BUT, like the Y- seats also on display, there were no IFE boxes under them. I can only guess that they will be space hungry (unless the A380 has the electronics elsewhere - one can only wish). The Y+ looks a cut above the BA WT+ product and I wonder if this brings on an uddate by BA too?
Old Nov 26, 2007, 12:15 am
sxc
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Green, QF Platinum, BAEC Silver, Hyatt Glob
Qantas is pretty good at hiding away the IFE boxes on the 747s, compared to other carriers (eg CX). They are generally small, and at the very ends of each row. So I imagine that the new boxes will be similarly non-ontrusive.

Having said that, I am only speaking from my past experience on non-AVOD 747s, so I don't know if there were new more intrusive boxes due to AVOD.
Old Nov 26, 2007, 7:09 am

Programs: QF Bronze, Velocity
I experienced most of the new "soft" product in Y the other day.
I really like the trays the meals are presented on - simple, elegant yet functional.
I like the new blanket - less static and the pillows seem fluffier.
HOWEVER the amenity kit now lacks a toothbrush or toothpaste which is really stupid considering the liquid/gel rules. All it is is socks and an eyeshade in a packet. I didnt ask about toothpaste etc as I couldnt be bothered, but it was kind of annoying. The snack on Q bags seem to have less in them as well.
Old Nov 26, 2007, 11:28 am

Originally Posted by TIMP
HOWEVER the amenity kit now lacks a toothbrush or toothpaste which is really stupid considering the liquid/gel rules.
This is just temporary - the toothpaste and toothbrush set will return shortly.
Old Nov 26, 2007, 11:39 am

Originally Posted by eoinnz
This is just temporary - the toothpaste and toothbrush set will return shortly.
Thank goodness for that! Any idea how long until it returns? (not that it makes much difference to me, I am flying home on Malaysian).

BTW I had a loverly crew HKG to LHR last Thursday (22nd Nov). Attentive, happy and visable.
Old Nov 26, 2007, 5:40 pm

BTW I had a loverly crew HKG to LHR last Thursday (22nd Nov). Attentive, happy and visable.
Were you flying SQ? (LOL)
Old Nov 26, 2007, 6:06 pm

Programs: QF WP + PG
I experienced most of the new "soft" product in Y the other day.
I really like the trays the meals are presented on - simple, elegant yet functional.
I like the new blanket - less static and the pillows seem fluffier.
HOWEVER the amenity kit now lacks a toothbrush or toothpaste which is really stupid considering the liquid/gel rules. All it is is socks and an eyeshade in a packet. I didnt ask about toothpaste etc as I couldnt be bothered, but it was kind of annoying. The snack on Q bags seem to have less in them as well.
On both QF107 and QF175 on Saturday, no ammenity kits were loaded in whY at all. I take it this is a mistake or is it a regular occurrence.

I do like the Snack on Q bags, though I still managed to get hungry 6 hours short of LAX.

The new pillows were good and the rugs were quite comfortable and definitely large enough.

I was on Wunala Dreaming and loved the new seat patterns as well. Much more flattering than the old ones.
Old Nov 26, 2007, 7:51 pm

Thank goodness for that! Any idea how long until it returns?
It shouldn't be much longer but I don't have an exact date.

Originally Posted by littl_flier
On both QF107 and QF175 on Saturday, no ammenity kits were loaded in whY at all. I take it this is a mistake or is it a regular occurrence.
Did you go BNE-LAX-JFK? If so the LAX-JFK sector does not get amenities in Y class. The BNE-LAX would of just been a error on loading.
Old Nov 26, 2007, 9:08 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Virgin Australia Velocity Gold
Originally Posted by Shano
No hints yet about which actual A/C will have Y+ fitted.
AFAIK NO...

It will be posted here when it's known, don't you worry ^

Rgds
Old Nov 27, 2007, 10:31 am

Originally Posted by Sequel
Were you flying SQ? (LOL)
LOL nope... QF29. Crew from MEL-HKG was odd, just not "polished".
Old Nov 27, 2007, 12:32 pm

Programs: QF. UA. Avis. AMEX.
I have experienced the new product a couple of times, once in J and 3x in Y on SYD-LAX.

I don't personally like the new pillow in Y, I find the larger format more difficult to stuff between you and the armrest or in the small of your back.

New blankets are good but the lack of toothbrush in Y is just ferral.

While I like the new grey colour scheme in J I find the red in Y to be over stimulating.

sxc: the AVOD boxes on QF are pretty intrusive, especially in the two seats in the last few rows.
Old Nov 27, 2007, 2:27 pm

Originally Posted by Aus_Mal
Qantas seat maps have been updated to reflect the new Premium Economy cabin where applicable:

http://www.qantas.com.au/info/flying...aft/seatMap744
Can I ask (another) dumb question? Looking at the seat maps there are two B744 configs, one with 50J and one with 52J, and all other classes the same. The difference seems to be that the crew seats upstairs are moved from right upper deck exit to the left exit, and two more seats added to on the right side. Why, if that's all it takes, would Qantas not stick the extra two seats in on every flight?? Do the 744s have slightly different physical characteristics that mean you cannot configure them the same way?? I know they presently run different two 3 class configurations (64J and 50J) but had no appreciated there might be a physical aircraft difference.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.