Community
Wiki Posts
Search

JetConnects 'On Time' performance

Search this Thread

Old Sep 18, 2007, 4:34 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some
And how many of those international flights were going to be operated by A380? I'm guessing none.
Old Sep 18, 2007, 4:49 pm

Yes but 747s were going to be used... but they arent available because they are flying on the routes the A380 were going to be put on.
Old Sep 18, 2007, 5:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ►QFWP/LTG►VA WP►HyattExpl.►HiltonGold►ALL Silver
Certainly a ripple effect.
  • The A380 were to free up 744's.
  • These 744's to be used in place of 767's on international routes,
  • The internationally configured 767's were to be reconfigured and deployed on more Qantas domestic routes, thus freeing up 737's for other uses
  • These other planned uses include the transfer of some to Jetconnect.
Old Sep 19, 2007, 12:24 am

Programs: QF Plat & LTG, VA Plat
Originally Posted by workflyer
The stretch has even forced a Jetconnect 734 to be operated trans tasman by mainline crew.
Doesn't this point to a crew shortage rather than a fleet shortage?
Old Sep 19, 2007, 5:39 am

Programs: QFWP (LTSG), NZ (Jade), TG ROP (Forgotten), OZ (Silver), AA (Cardboard), EK (Lowest of the Low)
Originally Posted by justin_krusty
Doesn't this point to a crew shortage rather than a fleet shortage?
I thought so too. From what I heard Jetconnect not only has a shortage of aircraft and QF deciding to use some of their 737 for Trans-Tasman to free up a 767 for domestic or international, but they have a shortage of flight crews....if only I decided to stick to flight school instead of becoming an accountant (no longer practicing)
Oh I guess the changes to the schedule, one month early I thought indicate that QF recognize that the 30 minutes turnaround do not give contingency to make up for lost time and that it works better to stagger the flights more.
Old Sep 19, 2007, 5:51 am

It basically went hand in hand. The aircraft was sent to Jetconnect (JTR) and then the realisation that CAA would not approve NZ cabin crew flying with Aus flight crew became apparent so Mainline cabin crew stepped in, but essentially the flight was to be operated by a Jetconnect aircraft to free up more 737-800 use within Australia.
Old Sep 19, 2007, 11:44 pm

Flew SYD-WLG last week, 734 JetConnect flight. Left late and arrived slightly late but not too bad. Curtain was present and personal DVD's handed out for rows 5 and 6. The stupid thing was that rows 5 + 6 were both packed solid, no empty seats. I booked this flight a month ago and according to EF had 6C automatically assigned with a blocked seat next to me, the makings of a good flight, so i was suprised the fwd rows were so full.

The load was high, but there was plenty of empty middle seats throughout the cabin. I am SG and was on the aisle, the guy next to me was WP and had a middle seat, which was even weirder. The rest of the pasengers in those rows had no status but were doctors with their wives, so maybe QF does look after doctors. Balancing food and DVD player is quite difficult when its that full, so I wasn't impressed. I know there are balance issues, but from a passenger perspective keeping middle seats blocked up front goes a long way to comfort and happiness.

In comparison I took AirNZ on the way back (was going to MEL and QF dont have an early direct flight). The flight was even fuller, and I was down the back due to no status, but in comparison to QF was amazing. It was an A320 and the seats were more comfortable, more room, and the hosties were - shock horror - friendly, smiling, and happy to be there. (they were also young and attractive). I got off in a good mood, not the usual dispair you get with QF.

It was just one flight, so not a good sample size, but on the basis on that trip I intend to direct some more flights AirNZ's way and see how i feel then....
Old Sep 21, 2007, 3:32 pm

Programs: QFWP (LTSG), NZ (Jade), TG ROP (Forgotten), OZ (Silver), AA (Cardboard), EK (Lowest of the Low)
Flew SYD-WLG last week, 734 JetConnect flight. Left late and arrived slightly late but not too bad. Curtain was present and personal DVD's handed out for rows 5 and 6. The stupid thing was that rows 5 + 6 were both packed solid, no empty seats. I booked this flight a month ago and according to EF had 6C automatically assigned with a blocked seat next to me, the makings of a good flight, so i was suprised the fwd rows were so full.

The load was high, but there was plenty of empty middle seats throughout the cabin. I am SG and was on the aisle, the guy next to me was WP and had a middle seat, which was even weirder. The rest of the pasengers in those rows had no status but were doctors with their wives, so maybe QF does look after doctors. Balancing food and DVD player is quite difficult when its that full, so I wasn't impressed. I know there are balance issues, but from a passenger perspective keeping middle seats blocked up front goes a long way to comfort and happiness.

In comparison I took AirNZ on the way back (was going to MEL and QF dont have an early direct flight). The flight was even fuller, and I was down the back due to no status, but in comparison to QF was amazing. It was an A320 and the seats were more comfortable, more room, and the hosties were - shock horror - friendly, smiling, and happy to be there. (they were also young and attractive). I got off in a good mood, not the usual dispair you get with QF.

It was just one flight, so not a good sample size, but on the basis on that trip I intend to direct some more flights AirNZ's way and see how i feel then....
Word is obviously out about the benefits of those two rows. In row 5 when the 734 had the old convertible J seats you were able to use the seat back tables for the DVD and the armrest tray tables for food and drink. I have not been in the back of the 734 since they installed the Millenium seats as I have been in row 1 since then..
Seat blocking in not guaranteed, I know it never worked for me when I asked for it but works when I do not.
I do prefer the NZ A320 Y seats over the QF 737 Y seats but I still get much better service and food from QF over NZ, but I order the vegetarian meals.
Oh how do you know the rest of the passengers had no status?
Also flying out of WLG a QF pilot told me that the 734 can never be full due to weight restrictions, and a FA told me that thye sometimes ask J passengers to move to the main cabin for T/O.

Last edited by Blackcloud; Sep 21, 2007 at 3:38 pm Reason: Final 2 paragraphs
Old Sep 21, 2007, 10:57 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Blackcloud
Also flying out of WLG a QF pilot told me that the 734 can never be full due to weight restrictions, and a FA told me that thye sometimes ask J passengers to move to the main cabin for T/O.
I've been on a QF/JetConnect 734 out of WLG that was full, that was a WLG/AKL flight though so wouldn't of been carrying as much fuel as a trans-Tasman I guess.
Old Sep 22, 2007, 1:04 am

Originally Posted by Jetkid
I've been on a QF/JetConnect 734 out of WLG that was full, that was a WLG/AKL flight though so wouldn't of been carrying as much fuel as a trans-Tasman I guess.

Yer its really only trans tasman that this happens, and often because freight and other things down below have sometimes taken priority. But ive done a few domestics where passengers have been required to move rearwards for take off, this can especially happen when a 734 is operating AKL - ZQN in marginal weather where its carrying fuel for the return trip and for any possible diversions.
Old Sep 23, 2007, 8:44 pm

Originally Posted by Blackcloud
Oh how do you know the rest of the passengers had no status?
I saw the BP's (they got them out to fill in the arrival cards). Yes this is a bit nosy, and I don't normally do it, but it was very uncomfortable up front with a lot of larger frames squeezed in, so i was curious about status.

One of the doctors kicked off in a pathetic argument with someone about bags in the overhead bins, it was very ugly to watch for all around him, he was doing a bit of DYKWIA (the doctor thing) after that I didn't feel guilty spying his BP.

Next time I am tempted to try LAN trans-tasman. I know the times aren't great, but with cheap J fares, could make for a good status run. Any recent experiences anyone?

Last edited by justin_krusty; Sep 23, 2007 at 8:45 pm Reason: sp.
Old Sep 24, 2007, 2:38 am

Programs: QF. UA. Avis. AMEX.
I did LAN in July and was well worth the money. Even an op-up on the way over.
Old Sep 24, 2007, 2:46 pm

I saw the BP's (they got them out to fill in the arrival cards). Yes this is a bit nosy, and I don't normally do it, but it was very uncomfortable up front with a lot of larger frames squeezed in, so i was curious about status.

One of the doctors kicked off in a pathetic argument with someone about bags in the overhead bins, it was very ugly to watch for all around him, he was doing a bit of DYKWIA (the doctor thing) after that I didn't feel guilty spying his BP.

Next time I am tempted to try LAN trans-tasman. I know the times aren't great, but with cheap J fares, could make for a good status run. Any recent experiences anyone?
737 Y with two big people in your row really is not comfortable, I know the difference is marginal but I feel the A320 does have that little extra width making it comfortable for me, If only NZ gave Airpoints in the low WHY fares I would take them TT if I had to fly in WHY.
I no longer take the QF118/117 WLG-SYD v.v I do the LAN run, which does mean I fly up to AKL on now QF2728, 19:30 and overnight in a cheap airport hotel. It still is cheaper doing this than taking a one way J fare on QF, but the return trip leaves a little bit early for me but I have to accept it.
I have the LA run booked for October, November and December to visit friends and family, in fact if the system does not change I will make WP this membership year based solely on these runs.
Kiwi Flyer has cautioned me about the delays that LA can experience, but I am touching so much wood right now, I have had nothing more than 30 minutes delay.
LA seats at the moment are like the dreamtime seats but much better recline, pitch and AVOD. Just do not expect much food, or a special meal to avoid the sandwiches, but you do get lounge access.^
Old Sep 24, 2007, 2:53 pm

No plans to expand Qantas's Kiwi service

Here is an article on a recent meeting in WLG,
Qantas has no definite plans to increase services ahead of rival Pacific Blue starting flights on New Zealand routes in just over a month, with analysts predicting only one would survive.

A business audience heard little to justify what was expected to be Qantas' "big plans to boost its New Zealand profile" at a Wellington Regional Chamber of Commerce function last week.

Instead, corporate sales manager Russell Williss, standing in at short notice for Qantas New Zealand general manager Grant Lilly, said the two-year delay in taking delivery of its new Airbus A380 super-jumbos had resulted in a shortage of aircraft available to expand the New Zealand domestic services.
stuff

A bit disappointing, I have heard that Jetconnect has been having problems in retaining pilots, which is a reason why some Trans-Tasman are crewed by QF mainline.
Oh there is a ridiculous rumour on Jetconnect to operate Dash's in NZ? that claims that QF NZ will be operating Dash 8 on NZ regional routes, which would be nice.
Old Sep 25, 2007, 3:13 am

Why do you want a 734?

I had to rebook some of my flights today due to Jetconnect rescheduling their flights. No longer flying on my birthday but managed to get flights for the weekend after which were 4 time more expensive for no extra charge.^
Now as I was talking to the ticketing agent I asked about if the planes were 734. He wanted to know why, I said I was hoping to snag the J seats, but he replied that no QF staff would ever suggest to fly on the 734 as they were the ones breaking down and causing havoc to the OTP, in fact he said it was extremely embarrassing to QF staff. Example last night on QF4054 scheduled to leave WGL-AKL at 19:30 left around 23:30 plus there was another cancellation during the day. Not all passengers were rebooked on NZ flights as the delay was never to be that long.
He also said QF NZ managment were very aware of the problem and the impact it was having on its business, but they cannot get more aircraft or enough crews.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.