Community
Wiki Posts
Search

SYD-AKL QF or LA

Search this Thread

Old Aug 19, 2009, 9:16 pm

My last few SYD-AKL-SYD trips have all been on 737's - I was beginning to think they stopped using a 767 on this route aswell.

I miss 24F
Old Aug 23, 2009, 2:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci, BA LTG + GGL, SPG LTP, HHonors Diamond, IHG Spire Ambassador
Just an update: landed from the BA15 early before 5am after a sensational flight, first off, through 'Transit' security, no desks open once past that (easy) screening but made my way up to the Flounge and was let in by the nice lady on my BA Gold card alone and requested to find her at 7:30-8:00 and she'd call LA to have my BP ready for gate collection ^ Had a lovely shower and greatly enjoyed watching the sun rise of Sydney with perfect poached eggs (+bacon). Superb! Thanks everyone for the help.
Old Oct 11, 2009, 4:05 pm

Programs: AA LT PLT, 2.15 million miles; Priority Club PLT
QF44 vs. QF56 meal service

Any recent experiences would be helpful:

For AKL-SYD I'm choosing between QF56 (763) and QF44 (737). Obviously, the seats on the 763 must be far superior to the 737.

Aside from that, in Business class, are the meals about the same on either aircraft? QF56 departs at 15.40 and QF44 departs at 18.30, would they both have the same full dinner service? Thanks!
Old Oct 11, 2009, 4:54 pm
Original Member

Location: Portland OR Double Emerald (QF and AA), DL PM/MM, Starwood Plat
Actually the seats on the new TT 738s are superior to the 763 seating, so it isn't quite so obviously. But I doubt your 737 will be operated by a new 738 yet (presuming flight is in the next month). Meal service is identical though I'm not sure that 15:40 departure is guaranteed to get dinner service, it might be a snack instead. In any case it is a short sector so choosing flights based on convenience is wiser than trying to guess the current service levels (which seem to change every few months TT).
Old Oct 11, 2009, 5:53 pm

Programs: AA LT PLT, 2.15 million miles; Priority Club PLT
Originally Posted by number_6
Actually the seats on the new TT 738s are superior to the 763 seating, so it isn't quite so obviously. But I doubt your 737 will be operated by a new 738 yet (presuming flight is in the next month).
Actually, this is part of a RTW for next September. Maybe by then they will be all 738 anyway?

Originally Posted by number_6
Meal service is identical though I'm not sure that 15:40 departure is guaranteed to get dinner service, it might be a snack instead.
OK, I'm used to AA where there is quite a difference between meals offered inside or outside of traditional dining hours, so it is good to know that this is something to be aware of on QF as well. If anyone has been on QF56 in Business recently, please let me know if it was a snack or meal. Thanks!
Old Oct 11, 2009, 6:32 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by malcolmkettering
Any recent experiences would be helpful:

For AKL-SYD I'm choosing between QF56 (763) and QF44 (737). Obviously, the seats on the 763 must be far superior to the 737.
The current seats are identical. The only difference is a 2x2 layout rather than a 2x2x2 layout . Take whichever flight is the best time for you

Dave
Old Oct 11, 2009, 6:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ►QFWP/LTG►VA WP►HyattExpl.►HiltonGold►ALL Silver
The majority of Qantas TT 763's these days are operated with internationally configured aircraft.

These have Dreamtime Seats in business class.

Check for seat map of 1x2x2 configuration.

There will be a meal service on QF56 - it's a 3½ hour flight and arrives well after 7pm AKL time.

Last edited by serfty; Oct 11, 2009 at 6:55 pm
Old Nov 4, 2011, 12:07 pm

Programs: AA LT PLT 3 MM+, BA (very) Blue, CO nobody
A new twist on this query.
I will be flying EZE to SYD in J in Feb 2013. Did a search on my question here w/o answer so I am posting it here - did not want to start a new thread:
QF vs LA in J on this route (with AA miles):
1 which airline has better J seats/service?
2 which award is easier to get?
Caveat: I am using AA miles so I can get award only 330 days out (March 2012).
TIA
Old Nov 4, 2011, 7:07 pm
og
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: QF WP/LTG | UA P
Originally Posted by Paulchili
A new twist on this query.
I will be flying EZE to SYD in J in Feb 2013. Did a search on my question here w/o answer so I am posting it here - did not want to start a new thread:
QF vs LA in J on this route (with AA miles):
1 which airline has better J seats/service?
2 which award is easier to get?
Caveat: I am using AA miles so I can get award only 330 days out (March 2012).
TIA
IIRC, QF will drop EZE and substitute SCL in early 2012. This will be non-stop from SYD. I believe LA will still operate SCL-AKL-SYD. If using AA points, you will find QF FFers have first go at about 364 days prior - so I'd get what ever I could get and worry about the seating after that.

Also, I wouldn't expect late release of FF seats as this route is very popular in Business.
Old Nov 4, 2011, 10:22 pm

Programs: AA LT PLT 3 MM+, BA (very) Blue, CO nobody
Originally Posted by og
IIRC, QF will drop EZE and substitute SCL in early 2012. This will be non-stop from SYD. I believe LA will still operate SCL-AKL-SYD. If using AA points, you will find QF FFers have first go at about 364 days prior - so I'd get what ever I could get and worry about the seating after that.

Also, I wouldn't expect late release of FF seats as this route is very popular in Business.
Thanks - I have some BA miles - maybe I should save them for this (as BA bookings open at same time as QF's)
Old Sep 18, 2012, 2:37 am
Hyatt 10+ BadgeFour Seasons 5+ Badge

Programs: QF WP (OWE), VA PLAT, EY GLD, SPG PLAT, Hyatt DIA, Hilton DIA, Hertz PC
I did LA800/LA801 for a work trip in the last few days. Had breakfast in the QF F Lounge (with a glass of Bolly 2000) and was interested to see what the product was like.

I had to excuse that LAN was replacing switching systems, so couldn't check in online, but traveling only with carry on, the check in was swift. On the return there were some issues, and the agent (who was the supervisor) asked me to call LAN on my own phone to fix it. I politely informed him that he should call whoever he needs and perform my check in.

I also overheard them saying they were overbooked by 10 so they should start upgrading pax and they seemed to do it for those that arrived last.

Priority boarding works, and seats are massive! I didn't think I would lay the bed flat on either sector, however I feel asleep within 10 minutes of reaching cruising altitude and the FA promptly gave me a pillow and a blanket. When I woke 30 mins prior to landing, it appeared that the entire cabin was asleep.

Can't comment on the food, however breakfast on the first sector appeared to be a very unappealing omelette, or bread with ham.

LAN don't have express cards for SYD or AKL. I asked the FA and she said that ground staff had them but the Air New Zealand ground staff said LAN don't use them.

It's a good status run, as we all know, and for $700 for J why would anyone pick QF other than the timings?

BTW, the OMG departure from AKL is ok if you go to bed at 8:30PM. I got quite a good sleep to complement last night.

Also got from the plane through customs and to my car within 12 minutes.
Old Sep 18, 2012, 3:11 am

Programs: QF. UA. Avis. AMEX.
The ground staff standing at the plane door in SYD provide you with arrival cards if you ask.
Old Sep 18, 2012, 3:16 am
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeHyatt 10+ Badge

Programs: QF WP (OWE), VA PLAT, EY GLD, SPG PLAT, Hyatt DIA, Hilton DIA, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by nonce
The ground staff standing at the plane door in SYD provide you with arrival cards if you ask.
I should clarify: I was given an Express outwards card at check in at SYD. I have heaps on inwards cards so I packed these.

They said staff at the door in AKL would have Express cards but they did not, nor do they provide them at check in at AKL.

Last edited by m0hamed; Sep 18, 2012 at 3:30 am
Old Sep 18, 2012, 5:20 pm

Programs: QFWP (LTSG), NZ (Jade), TG ROP (Forgotten), OZ (Silver), AA (Cardboard), EK (Lowest of the Low)
Originally Posted by m0hamed
I should clarify: I was given an Express outwards card at check in at SYD. I have heaps on inwards cards so I packed these.

They said staff at the door in AKL would have Express cards but they did not, nor do they provide them at check in at AKL.
As nonce stated QF staff at the door in SYD will provide the Inwards Express Card if you asked upon disembarking.
LA does not provide either inward or outward express cards for AKL IME.
I am amazed that you could sleep on those flights, yes the seats are comfortable but I do struggle to sleep on that short flight, and I often only have 3 hours sleep the night before leaving AKL.
However for me as long as QF are doing the Business Class sales across the Tasman I will take them as I value the extra time in Australia, the better sleep in WLG over the few hundred dollars saved by going LAN.
If the sales stop, eg. due to the EK alliance I will be back to LAN.
Old Sep 18, 2012, 7:33 pm
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeHyatt 10+ Badge

I didn't expect to sleep, I rarely do on short flights. I even left my contact lenses in. It was surprisingly comfortable and good to have the whole day back home.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.