Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Qantas | Frequent Flyer
Reload this Page >

QF phone agents versus CX paper tickets

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 16, 2007, 3:10 am
og
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: QF WP/LTG | UA P

Please tell me that I'm right and QF phone agent(s) are wrong:

I have paper xONEx tickets issued by CX (on CX paper) for an open dated segment with the carrier indicated as QF. I rang QF and asked them to make a reservation for the specific sector. The nice lady said I would have to take the tickets to QF for then to be reissued before they could make the reservation. I explained that the carrier shown for the sector was QF and it was OPEN. All I wanted was for them to make a reservation and I would quote the fare basis and ticket number. I also explained that a reissue was not needed due to the xONEx rules and that the itinerary was not changing. She wouldn't accept this. She wanted me to either do the reissue or go through CX who issued the tickets in the first place.

Unfortunately, she didn't identify herself as being QF Premium. Maybe I should have hung up and kept calling until I got the Premium desk?
Old Jun 16, 2007, 3:16 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by og

I have paper xONEx tickets issued by CX (on CX paper) for an open dated segment with the carrier indicated as QF. I rang QF and asked them to make a reservation for the specific sector. The nice lady said I would have to take the tickets to QF for then to be reissued before they could make the reservation. I explained that the carrier shown for the sector was QF and it was OPEN. All I wanted was for them to make a reservation and I would quote the fare basis and ticket number. I also explained that a reissue was not needed due to the xONEx rules and that the itinerary was not changing. She wouldn't accept this. She wanted me to either do the reissue or go through CX who issued the tickets in the first place.

Unfortunately, she didn't identify herself as being QF Premium. Maybe I should have hung up and kept calling until I got the Premium desk?

Just call up CX, they can make/change and edit QF segments if they issued the ticket. They are more flexible and won't cost you anymore $$$$
Old Jun 16, 2007, 7:12 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by og

I have paper xONEx tickets issued by CX (on CX paper) for an open dated segment with the carrier indicated as QF. I rang QF and asked them to make a reservation for the specific sector. The nice lady said I would have to take the tickets to QF for then to be reissued before they could make the reservation.
She was almost correct; the ticket doesn't need to be reissued but will have to be revalidated for which QF charges AUD25 for doing. Take the ticket to the ticket counter or to a travel centre and they will put the revalidation sticker on. The person can make the reservation for you though, so shouldn't have refused that

(this is assuming that you have already flown the 1st sector , otherwise they should not touch it at all )

Alternatively contact CX and see if they can just do it for you

Dave
Old Jun 16, 2007, 7:18 am
NM

Programs: AA Plat & LTG; QF LTG
As others have suggested, it may be best to call CX. But do note that even though they can make the reservation change over the phone, you will still need to have the ticket revalidated at a QF ticket counter before check-in.
Old Jun 16, 2007, 7:47 am

Do you still need revalidation for open dated segments? I was under the impression that revalidation is only necessary for change of dates on a segment which is already dated?

edited to add - come to think of it I've revalidated an open dated QF ticket before. Not an xONEx, just a simple return ticket issued by QF. Wasn't dinged with the A$25 revalidation fee though, but was told that subsequent changes will attract the fee.

Last edited by Keith009; Jun 16, 2007 at 7:52 am
Old Jun 16, 2007, 1:14 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by QF009
Do you still need revalidation for open dated segments? I was under the impression that revalidation is only necessary for change of dates on a segment which is already dated?
Yes. The revalidation is done so that they can validate that the ticket that you claim to have is valid for travel. It is a straightforward task and takes only a few minutes.

If you get the change done by CX, then the booking will be put in the system by CX and QF will not need to verify anything.

Dave
Old Jun 16, 2007, 5:09 pm

Originally Posted by Dave Noble
If you get the change done by CX, then the booking will be put in the system by CX and QF will not need to verify anything.
Ahh - so always go to the issuing airline.
Old Jun 16, 2007, 7:26 pm
og
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Thanks all for the constructive comments. On my previous occasions of putting reservations for QF flights against xONEx CX issued paper tickets, I dealt directly (and effortlessly) through CX (by email). CX supplied the underlying QF PNR and I then dealt directly with QF for seat requests and subsequent changes. This time, from my OP, directly approaching QF to make the reservation in the first place ran into difficulties because the phone agent (1) wouldn't make a reservation, and (2) called the "revalidation" a "reissue". I have learnt my lesson! Now I'll approach CX for future initial reservation requests on tickets they have issued.

OW on their website say:
Reservations
  • You must have booked and received a ticket for your first international flight (and any preceding local flights) at least seven days prior to travel when your journey originates from the Americas.
  • However, you can leave all your subsequent flights open-dated. You can then schedule your trip as you go along. Local service may apply.
  • All reservations and ticketing can be handled by any oneworld airline

Perhaps the third dot point should suggest that it will be a "more" straightforward exercise to make reservations if they are done with the entity that originally issued the tickets!
Old Jun 27, 2007, 2:02 am
og
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by QF009

edited to add - come to think of it I've revalidated an open dated QF ticket before. Not an xONEx, just a simple return ticket issued by QF. Wasn't dinged with the A$25 revalidation fee though, but was told that subsequent changes will attract the fee.
Update:

I presented my paper tickets to the WP desk at SYD T1 ticketting (along with my WP card) and had the relevant coupons revalidated. In spite of the sign showing a $27.50 revalidation fee PER TICKET, the very nice lady did not charge me. Indeed she thanked me for making her job so easy because I had a "sticky" with reservation date and PNR on each coupon.
Old Jun 27, 2007, 5:53 pm

Programs: QP Life, AA Nothing, QF Bronze
Originally Posted by og
In spite of the sign showing a $27.50 revalidation fee PER TICKET, the very nice lady did not charge me.
Glad it all worked out. I've had a couple of revalidations of DONE4 segments done in the Canberra city QF office and they haven't charged either time. Either I've been lucky or it's an easily-waived fee.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.