Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Qantas | Frequent Flyer
Reload this Page >

How good is Qantas J, for trans-pacific, really???

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 17, 2007, 7:36 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA PLT 2.7 MM, DL GLD, UA Prem, BW Diamond, PC PLT, HH Diamond

I will be taking my first trip to Oz this spring in Qantas J, could not get 1st on miles. Flight 26 seat 2k. I have always been able to snag a seat in F on UA before and slept very well, found the seat very comfortable. This time the best I could get was QF J LAX-MEL on AAdvantage miles. I have been told that I was lucky to get that , since QF awards for AA are very hard to get. I have been in J before but, only SYD-CNS 2 years back and it was with a skybed config in J. Any thoughts?? How comfortable is the seat, esp for a 12 hour + flight? How good is the service? Anyone know if the pyjamas are available for J on this flight? By Seatguru 2K looks like a good seat, any thoughts to the contrary?
Old May 17, 2007, 7:51 am

Programs: Virgin Australia Velocity Gold
Hello shadesofgrey1x,

Some people don't like Skybed on o/night flights and for sleeping, but I think it's a great seat and very comfortable. Some talk about "slipping" but that's never been a problem for me.

Service will be good... crew should be Jetconnect or MEL LH (I'm sure eoinnz will be able to correct me). Jetconnect crew are excellent and IME, have always gone out of their way to provide a pleasant flight. The 2-class 747-400s also feature LED mood lightning and an inflight snack bar for your convenience!

Unfortunately, PJs are not available on QF26 LAX-AKL-MEL.

With regards to 2K, I've never sat in that seat, so can't give you my opinion.

Did you fly on the A330-300 (QF924) SYD-CNS?

Rgds
Old May 17, 2007, 9:36 am

You will find QF biz just as good, if not better, then UA's first class. I like sitting on the 2nd level over the nose cone of the plane. No, PJs in J class so you will have to rough it there.
Old May 17, 2007, 9:47 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by IAH Oil Man
You will find QF biz just as good, if not better, then UA's first class. I like sitting on the 2nd level over the nose cone of the plane. No, PJs in J class so you will have to rough it there.
I have been on UA F Class (both the suite and non suite). Although QF is better than UA on this route. There is NO WAY to say the Skybeds are better than the UA suites. (which are now being replaced in the 5 stars airlines like CX and SQ, sure QF have made substantial improvements to the 1st generation, it is still NOT a proper bed as to speak)

IMO the UA suites are 10 times better for sleeping than the QF Skybeds. Also the arm rests actually drops down making it easier to access.
Old May 17, 2007, 10:59 am

Originally Posted by QF NB
Service will be good... crew should be Jetconnect or MEL LH (I'm sure eoinnz will be able to correct me). Jetconnect crew are excellent and IME, have always gone out of their way to provide a pleasant flight.
It's hard to say what mix of crew you'll have as it changes every flight. There is no consistent pattern. Generally there will be at least some Jetconnect crew (however once in a blue moon flights are all Australian crew) and either Sydney, Melbourne or Brisbane crew or a mix of all 4. So today for example the QF26 has 10 Auckland crew and 4 Sydney crew but tomorrow could have 5 Auckland crew and 9 Brisbane crew or whatever. And this goes for other flights as well. Melbourne - Los Angeles and return for example could have Sydney, Brisbane or Auckland crew even though there is a Melbourne Long Haul base.
Old May 17, 2007, 11:20 am

UA F is much better than QF J. I'm not a fan of UA at all and try hard not to fly them but the truth is the truth. QF J is better than UA J though.
Old May 17, 2007, 1:34 pm

Programs: HH Gold, AA EXP, UA 1p
Originally Posted by millionmiler
UA F is much better than QF J. I'm not a fan of UA at all and try hard not to fly them but the truth is the truth. QF J is better than UA J though.
While the seat may be better in UA F, the soft product - quality of wine, quality of food, pleasantness of the flight crew, etc. is dramatically better in QF J. And I do find that seat kind of difficult to sleep in, though better than the UA C-cabin seats
Old May 17, 2007, 4:23 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by mzito
While the seat may be better in UA F, the soft product - quality of wine, quality of food, pleasantness of the flight crew, etc. is dramatically better in QF J. And I do find that seat kind of difficult to sleep in, though better than the UA C-cabin seats
I actually find the UA F Class seat to be better than QF. The drop down arm rest is great.

Also the new UA F seats will be so much better than QF.
Old May 17, 2007, 5:12 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA PLT 2.7 MM, DL GLD, UA Prem, BW Diamond, PC PLT, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by QF NB
Hello shadesofgrey1x,

Some people don't like Skybed on o/night flights and for sleeping, but I think it's a great seat and very comfortable. Some talk about "slipping" but that's never been a problem for me.

Service will be good... crew should be Jetconnect or MEL LH (I'm sure eoinnz will be able to correct me). Jetconnect crew are excellent and IME, have always gone out of their way to provide a pleasant flight. The 2-class 747-400s also feature LED mood lightning and an inflight snack bar for your convenience!

Unfortunately, PJs are not available on QF26 LAX-AKL-MEL.

With regards to 2K, I've never sat in that seat, so can't give you my opinion.

Did you fly on the A330-300 (QF924) SYD-CNS?

Rgds
Yes the A330 was what I flew in 2005 SYD-CNS, very nice for a short haul flight.
Old May 17, 2007, 6:31 pm

Programs: QFWP (LTSG), NZ (Jade), TG ROP (Forgotten), OZ (Silver), AA (Cardboard), EK (Lowest of the Low)
And the A330-300 domestic, is unfortunately my only experience of the QF Skybed. This was when QF just got the birds and was using the domestic ops to get the crews up to profficency. Any other business class travel on QF I have had non-Skybed seats.
Old May 17, 2007, 8:00 pm

Programs: AA (PLATINUM), HHonors (DIAMOND)
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=682587

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.