Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Qantas | Frequent Flyer
Reload this Page >

FF Status Changed - Priority on waitlist changed as well ?

Old Jan 19, 07, 5:24 am
formerly drb1979
Original Poster

Programs: QF

Hi all

I'll be making an upgrade request using points from Business to First in early Feb, for a flight early May.

If I make the original request as Bronze, and my FF status subsequently changes to Silver, will my request automatically jump ahead of all the other requests made by Bronze members ?

If so, I presume I go to the back of the queue behind all other silvers that have made requests ?

Finally, am I dreaming thinking I will get an upgrade LHR-SIN/SIN-LHR to First as a lowly Silver ? Anybody here have any previous success ?
Expertflyer currently has 7 seats in A and F so I still have some chance.

Thanks in advance for your help

d
Old Jan 19, 07, 5:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Exp|VA Platinum
I would imagine that you will join jump up the line to the bottom of the silvers....Having said that I think your probably a very long shot anyway, the liklihood of your upgrade clearing would be very very small.

Also note that upgrades have no relevance to how full a cabin is of course there do need to be seats but it is quite well documented and discussed here that QF will quite happily fly with empty cabins. The formula used to determine how many upgrades will be cleared per flight remains a mystery.

Good luck
Old Jan 19, 07, 4:27 pm

Programs: QF WP, SPG Plat again and non elite member of many
Originally Posted by drb1979 View Post

Finally, am I dreaming thinking I will get an upgrade LHR-SIN/SIN-LHR to First as a lowly Silver ? Anybody here have any previous success ?
Expertflyer currently has 7 seats in A and F so I still have some chance.

d
On a recent flight I was speaking to one of the cabin crew in First. As I'd just completed a First Class RTW using points in 2005, I'd asked about availability of upgrades, etc in First now. She said that it's just not happening- too many people flying in First (either using points or paying) compared to last year. As some previous threads have discussed, the number of plats and golds is very high. And then you have the potential of very high status oneworld passengers on the same flight....

If you're coming all the way to Oz, I've definitely had more success on the SIN to Oz leg with Biz to First upgrades. I still think I was Gold at the time though.

Good luck - and hopefully some of the others will have some helpful hints.

TravelTil
Old Jan 19, 07, 6:14 pm
Moderator: Asiana & Qantas Frequent Flyer
Aman Contributor Badge

Programs: QF SG, LH SEN, OZ D+, HH D, SPG P
I wouldn't count on your position improving automatically because you are silver now. If I were you I would give Qantas a call and try to make sure you got a bit further up the ladder. Having said this, I agree with the others: Chances are not very high. Good luck!