Wiki Posts
Search

Xmas Gift, thank you Qantas!

Search this Thread

Old Dec 27, 2006, 5:02 pm
Original Poster

Programs: QF Gold (OW Sapphire), IB Plus, Spanair Plus
Xmas Gift, thank you Qantas!

I just arrived to Hobart from some short Xmas holidays in the Withsundays Islands and Cairns diving in the amazing GBR. And for first time in 30 years (my age) I have been upgraded. and not once but twice in a week. I never got an upgrade in IB and I have got it from QF after only one year as a member of the FF program.

The first one was in the flight CNS-SYD. It was a domestic leg of an international flight (formerly operated by australian airlines), and the business cabin is better than the normal domestic business cabin.

The secon upgrade was three days later in my flight SYD-MEL-HBA. Row 4 in the leg SYD-MEL, already economy but different seats with more room. And bussines class in the leg MEL-HBA. In addition, I was credited as Economy (20 status credits) and not as discount economy (10 SC).

I think it was a nice present for Christmas.

The flight between SYD and MEL was my first Cityflyer flight and It surprised my that they don't have a business section and they only offer some peanuts and not a sandwich, as they usually do in the other domestic flights (I usually fly HBA-MEL and HBA-SYD). What is the reason?

In a few days I will enjoy the other QF business class in my new years eve over the antarctica. Is anyone in that flight?
Old Dec 27, 2006, 5:20 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by bilboflyer
The flight between SYD and MEL was my first Cityflyer flight and It surprised my that they don't have a business section and they only offer some peanuts and not a sandwich, as they usually do in the other domestic flights (I usually fly HBA-MEL and HBA-SYD). What is the reason?
They do have business class ( normally ) on all SYD-MEL. If it was a 734 operated service ( which it sounds like it was from the description ) convertible seats are used in the 1st few rows so business class cabin size can be adjusted according to demand. If there was no business booking then they can convert the whole aircraft to economy

What is served does depend on the time of day; if you were travelling at snack time, then what you received sounds normal

Dave
Old Dec 27, 2006, 6:03 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some
Originally Posted by Dave Noble
They do have business class ( normally ) on all SYD-MEL. If it was a 734 operated service ( which it sounds like it was from the description ) convertible seats are used in the 1st few rows so business class cabin size can be adjusted according to demand. If there was no business booking then they can convert the whole aircraft to economy
For someone unused to the convertible seats, or even if familiar but bleary eyed, it would be easy to walk past those seats thinking no business class section.
Old Dec 27, 2006, 6:12 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by Kiwi Flyer
For someone unused to the convertible seats, or even if familiar but bleary eyed, it would be easy to walk past those seats thinking no business class section.
True indeed; but if sat in row 4, you'd have to be pretty unobservant not to notice the service being offered in the business rows during the flight

Dave
Old Dec 27, 2006, 7:14 pm
Original Poster

Programs: QF Gold (OW Sapphire), IB Plus, Spanair Plus
True indeed; but if sat in row 4, you'd have to be pretty unobservant not to notice the service being offered in the business rows during the flight

Dave

The row 4 had actually the "business class" configuration, that is, three seats but the middle one was thiner and of course free. From the row 5 on the seats were the tipical economy seats. However only some the passengers seated in these seats received business service. I guess, the only ones that actually paid for them. The other passengers seated in these business cabin got the standard economy service.
Old Dec 27, 2006, 7:16 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some

Dave
or asleep
Old Dec 27, 2006, 8:07 pm

Programs: QF WP (LTG), AA, SPG Gold, IC Plat Amb, Hyatt Plat, HH Gold.
Smile I got one too.... :)

When I OLCI'd Tuesday night for my flight BNE-SYD on Wednesday morning, my Economy (L) booking had been transformed into Business

J was quite full on the 767, but I didn't see how full it was down the back (wondering at the time if it was an op-up).

The Economy points and SC's posted on QFF, with the usual upgrade reference, but no points deducted!

A very nice Christmas present, so thank you Santa and Qantas.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.