Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Qantas | Frequent Flyer
Reload this Page >

how is business class in Qantas from Lax to Syd and Akl to Lax?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 5, 2006, 3:25 pm
Original Poster

Programs: ,starwood gold, fairmont premier,Aeromexico Platino

I am trying to figure out if i should go with Qantas or Air new zealand's business class.
I know that AZ has flat beds in business, how is the one in Qantas? The 747 used from LAX has 3 or 2 cabins?
Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks
Old Nov 5, 2006, 4:03 pm

Programs: QP Life, AA Nothing, QF Bronze
Can't comment about AKL-LAX, but LAX-SYD is operated by 3-class 747-400s. Business Class has the Skybed, which converts to a flat, but not quite horizontal, bed.

More info on international business class here.
Old Nov 5, 2006, 4:12 pm

Programs: QFWP (LTSG), NZ (Jade), TG ROP (Forgotten), OZ (Silver), AA (Cardboard), EK (Lowest of the Low)
Originally Posted by mitchdew
I am trying to figure out if i should go with Qantas or Air new zealand's business class.
I know that AZ has flat beds in business, how is the one in Qantas? The 747 used from LAX has 3 or 2 cabins?
Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks
AZ I assume you mean NZ has lieflat beds in suites, same as VS or AC.
QF AKL-LAX is usually a 2 class aircraft flying to/from MEL with Skybeds but it is also one of the routes that frequently has a 747-300, with Dreamtime, subsitute when QF needs a 747-400.
Old Nov 5, 2006, 5:12 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some
NZ business class is much better than QF. I'd take it if there is availability (even to SYD with the extra stop at AKL on the way I'd still take it).
Old Nov 5, 2006, 6:37 pm

Programs: Hertz PC, QF Plat, Velocity Gold, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold
I'd take Air NZ, simply due to the fact that Qantas is putting the 747-300 in far too often for flights to the US. You get stuck with that old bird and you wouldn't be happy!
Old Nov 5, 2006, 7:53 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors

After trying NZ new business, may not be happy going back to QF 747-400 either
Old Nov 5, 2006, 8:18 pm
NM

Programs: AA Plat & LTG; QF LTG
Originally Posted by AndDee
I'd take Air NZ, simply due to the fact that Qantas is putting the 747-300 in far too often for flights to the US. You get stuck with that old bird and you wouldn't be happy!
Its rare for such a change to be an unscheduled substitution. Most times the 743 operates QF25/26 it has been in the schedule for at least a month before due to planned maintenance for the 744 fleet. I would say the risk of getting an unscheduled 743 on that rote is low.
Old Nov 5, 2006, 8:22 pm

Programs: Virgin Australia Velocity Gold
Originally Posted by NM
Its rare for such a change to be an unscheduled substitution. Most times the 743 operates QF25/26 it has been in the schedule for at least a month before due to planned maintenance for the 744 fleet. I would say the risk of getting an unscheduled 743 on that rote is low.
... and this only happens 2-3 times per year.

Just be happy the 743 doesn't operate all service during the period...
Old Nov 5, 2006, 8:25 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Originally Posted by NM
Havign a month's notice may not be any consolation if there is no availability (in discounted business or award business) on the other flights, or unable to move dates due to commitments.
Old Nov 5, 2006, 9:35 pm
Original Poster

Programs: ,starwood gold, fairmont premier,Aeromexico Platino
Originally Posted by Kiwi Flyer
After trying NZ new business, may not be happy going back to QF 747-400 either
I see that AZ is cheaper like $1000 usd than Qantas. Not sure how a less quality business class would be more money!!
I am trying to fly LAX-SYD then back from AKL-LAX.
I am trying to use miles from American Express memebership regards for this trip. Either through Aeroplan(for AZ) or through One pass(for Qantas). I just have to decide wich carrier to use.
Seems like AZ has more fans for its business class thatn Qantas.
Old Nov 5, 2006, 9:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Exp|VA Platinum
I see that AZ is cheaper like $1000 usd than Qantas. Not sure how a less quality business class would be more money!!
Welcome to the world of Qantanomics....espeically popular on the LAX-Oz/NZ route where there ain't much competition...

Edit to add: I assume AZ means Air New Zealand (NZ) not Alitalia (AZ) who stopped flying to Australia a few years back...thank god
Old Nov 5, 2006, 10:33 pm
og
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: QF WP/LTG | UA P
I deleted my friendly reminder that AZ=Alitalia after I read the posting above.
Old Nov 5, 2006, 10:34 pm
Suspended

Programs: SQ, UA, BD
Originally Posted by bensyd
Edit to add: I assume AZ means Air New Zealand (NZ) not Alitalia (AZ) who stopped flying to Australia a few years back...thank god
I don't quite know why, but that made me laugh!
Old Nov 5, 2006, 10:41 pm
NM

Programs: AA Plat & LTG; QF LTG
I am trying to use miles from American Express memebership regards for this trip. Either through Aeroplan(for AZ) or through One pass(for Qantas). I just have to decide wich carrier to use.
Then I suggest your decision will be most greatly influenced by award class availability of the two airlines. Trans-Pacific awards in premium cabins are scarce. Take whichever one you can find availability somewhere near the dates you want to fly.
Old Nov 6, 2006, 4:14 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Agree. From another thread it seems availability on NZ is/was there (2 seats no less). From the posts above it seems the OP is yet to book the award. I'd take them quick before they go.

On several occassions I've had to significantly reroute (through asia) or cancel trips due to lack of award of discounted enough fares on this route.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.