Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Qantas | Frequent Flyer
Reload this Page >

how is business class in Qantas from Lax to Syd and Akl to Lax?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

how is business class in Qantas from Lax to Syd and Akl to Lax?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 9, 2006, 10:38 am
Original Member

Location: Portland OR Double Emerald (QF and AA), DL PM/MM, Starwood Plat
Originally Posted by Traveloguy
... I still think a SYD/MEL-LAX-IAH/EWR as possibility (should it even happen in the first place) as it could capture both east and west coast market demand.
QF has twice announced the start of SYD-LAX-ORD service (might have been MEL-LAX-ORD the 2nd time, I forget), and actually came within a week of operating the LAX-ORD flight (so all the ground handling at ORD was in place ... not too difficult to do with AA there). Decided against it (and for using codeshares instead, which has worked well for QF). Similarly, QF bought the 744ERs originally to serve AKL-DFW.

So if QF doesn't find the route attractive, with hubs at both ends, how can CO expect to make money with no hub on the Australian end? Ultra-long-haul flights are really sensitive to premium ticket demand, thus the very few such routes being operated today, even though planes capable of that mission have been available for about 5 years now. Rather interestingly most airlines have chosen to use longer-range planes to increase lift (and cargo) rather than range.
Old Nov 9, 2006, 11:01 am

Programs: BA Gold(OWE), QF LTG, MR Plat, IHG Spire, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by number_6
Similarly, QF bought the 744ERs originally to serve AKL-DFW.
I believe the 744ERs were purchased to allow MEL-LAX to be operated non-stop without any of the weight restrictions that are in place when operating the route with a standard 744. I don't believe AKL-DFW was on the cards.
Old Nov 9, 2006, 11:22 am
Original Member

I believe the 744ERs were purchased to allow MEL-LAX to be operated non-stop without any of the weight restrictions that are in place when operating the route with a standard 744. I don't believe AKL-DFW was on the cards.
Nope, MEL-LAX was plan B. QF even had the press release done for AKL-DFW service (then UA pulled out of the AKL market, Ansett folded and lots of QF priorities changed). But QF order 6 744ERs and only 2 were needed for DFW, the rest were probably intended for trans-pacific service. Rather interesting that QF in the past 4 years has rotated the ERs onto almost every single 744 served route (perhaps to optimize cargo routings). Almost as much chance to see one at LHR than at LAX.
Old Nov 9, 2006, 3:35 pm

Programs: BA Gold(OWE), QF LTG, MR Plat, IHG Spire, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by number_6
Nope, MEL-LAX was plan B. QF even had the press release done for AKL-DFW service (then UA pulled out of the AKL market, Ansett folded and lots of QF priorities changed). But QF order 6 744ERs and only 2 were needed for DFW, the rest were probably intended for trans-pacific service. Rather interesting that QF in the past 4 years has rotated the ERs onto almost every single 744 served route (perhaps to optimize cargo routings). Almost as much chance to see one at LHR than at LAX.
Going to disagree with you on this point.
Old Nov 9, 2006, 6:12 pm
NM

Programs: AA Plat & LTG; QF LTG
I think we all know you are right on this one even before you posted. Still it is a nice dream.
And life would be boring if nobody ever dreamed. Dream-on, I say. We can only hope for the dreams to become reality one day.
Old Nov 9, 2006, 7:52 pm

Programs: AA Plat 2MM, OW Sapphire, QF Bronze, Marriott Silver, Starwood Gold; National Emerald
Originally Posted by JerseySlime
I flew trans-Tasman twice (technically you're only allowed to cross the Tasman Sea once on a CO award on QF)....
Is this a restriction for a CO award?

I'm building a oneworld award, and I have never heard of such a restriction. Given the difficulty I hear about booking business award seats trans-Pac, I figure I will almost have to route back through Australia in making our way back to United States from Aukland.
Old Nov 9, 2006, 8:00 pm
Original Member

Originally Posted by steve32

I'm building a oneworld award, and I have never heard of such a restriction. Given the difficulty I hear about booking business award seats trans-Pac, I figure I will almost have to route back through Australia in making our way back to United States from Aukland.
Yes, every award type has different rules and restrictions.

For the OW award, the restrictions are simple: 1 stopover and 2 transits maximum at any given city (and the award ends when returning to the point of origin). All the other restrictions (including the QF Oneworld award restrictions!) do not apply to the AA OW award on QF!
Old Nov 9, 2006, 10:00 pm

Programs: UA Gold, *A Gold, HH Dia, Hertz #1 5*
Originally Posted by steve32

That was what the QF desk at CO told me when I started putting together an itinerary. Only one trans-Tasman trip. They flew me across the 2nd time ONLY to catch QF11 to complete my trip in F (since I flew F on QF94 coming west). Since my flight from CHC arrived after QF11 left, I could only overnight in SYD and fly QF11 the next afternoon. I would assume if you flew QF26 (J and Y, no F) into AKL, visited NZ first, then flew to OZ, they would do something similar if the only J seat they could get you home in was on QF25. I can't speak for AA and OW and their awards on QF.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.