Search this Thread

Old Sep 21, 2006, 6:28 pm
og
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: QF WP/LTG | UA P
Branson to fund to Greenhouse issues

http://www.smh.com.au/news/environme...431870517.html

I note that Richard Branson is allocating some (all?) of Virgin profits to works to reduce greenhouse issues. What a brilliant move. I wish other airlines would follow suit. If he pushes it properly, it'll capture the "green" market travellers in an industry which, while very efficient, can be very damaging to the middle atmosphere (ie contrails causing climatic affects through shading).

Come on Qantas, show your leadership credentials and institute a similar scheme. Be innovative. If you don't, the brewing European proposal of adding another tax on tickets to cover "green offsets" may well happen here (if Johnny ever realises it's getting warmer by the day).

Last edited by og; Sep 21, 2006 at 6:35 pm Reason: to add the link
Old Sep 21, 2006, 10:20 pm

Programs: Elite Diamond Purple Dot Gold Silver Titanium for life
Originally Posted by og
http://www.smh.com.au/news/environme...431870517.html

Come on Qantas, show your leadership credentials and institute a similar scheme. Be innovative. If you don't, the brewing European proposal of adding another tax on tickets to cover "green offsets" may well happen here (if Johnny ever realises it's getting warmer by the day).
I'm sure QF shareholders would love that idea
Old Sep 21, 2006, 10:51 pm
og
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: QF WP/LTG | UA P
Originally Posted by d00t
I'm sure QF shareholders would love that idea
I'm sure they would love to know that they are leaders in contributing to a lessening of the risk of the world in 100 yrs being dramatically different to what we have now.

What is the cost today of enacting policies that might slow a rise in sea levels that may otherwise make most coastal cities uninhabitable?

What about the low lying airports that QF fly to that won't have a usable runway (unless the A380 has pontoons attached) - not the least SYD which IIRC is only at 6m elevation?

It is easy to say "someone elses problem", but nothing will happen unless someone starts.
Old Sep 21, 2006, 11:03 pm

He has not bought into the voodoo/psuedo-science known as Global Warming. He has simply put a spin on another business start up that will make billions more for him.
Old Sep 22, 2006, 2:27 am

Programs: QF LTS, Marriott LTP, ALL GOLD
Originally Posted by Kibison
He has not bought into the voodoo/psuedo-science known as Global Warming. He has simply put a spin on another business start up that will make billions more for him.
Yes... saw that on BBC 24 this morning... the $3b will be invested in his new Ah yes... the master of spin!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.