Search

Best econ QF seats AKL - LAX?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 16, 2006, 4:01 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP, UA *S, Hyatt DIA, *W/IC Plat, HH Gold, A3 *G, Sixt Plat
Best econ QF seats AKL - LAX?

QF folks -

What are the best economy class seats on the AKL - LAX QF flight?

Have looked in several forums and done a search, but nothing comes back.

Thanks!
Old Sep 16, 2006, 5:19 am

Programs: AA Peon Gold
Originally Posted by SASfan
QF folks -

Thanks!

My personal opinion: Seats A and K in rows 70-73, these are the 2-4-2 rows rather than the 3-4-3 the rest of the plane has. I hear the exit rows aren't bad either.
Old Sep 16, 2006, 5:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Exp|VA Platinum
I prefer the back of the plane mainly because it is usually the last part of the plane to load up. I don't like the exit seats, no storage, no lifting of arm rests and people milling about like its the town common.
Old Sep 16, 2006, 5:29 am

Programs: Elite Diamond Purple Dot Gold Silver Titanium for life
Originally Posted by WRCSolberg
My personal opinion: Seats A and K in rows 70-73, these are the 2-4-2 rows rather than the 3-4-3 the rest of the plane has. I hear the exit rows aren't bad either.
Another ^ vote for the 2-4-2 A & K seats!

I don't like the exits much even though they provide unlimited leg room it tends to be impossible to get sleep being next to either a toilet or galley, where everyone and their dog comes to stretch, mothers come with their babies, people have hour long talks, everyone trips over your gear while waiting for bathroom and of course you have limited access to a seat pocket.

IMO the best seat is if you can score a block of 3 for yourself on any side. Converts nicely into a small bed with all 3 seats reclined to the max, 3 extra (6 total) pillows, 3 blankets and an ubundance of tray table space. If you are lucky - go to the toilet when they are giving out meals/amenity kits, make it look like theres 2 ppl sitting there and you'll score double! ^

Happy Flying!
Old Sep 16, 2006, 6:13 am
og
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: QF WP/LTG | UA P
Originally Posted by d00t
Another ^ vote for the 2-4-2 A & K seats!

I don't like the exits much ...
Totally agree.

My last QF trans Pacific had me in an exit row seat (aisle). Yes, unlimited legroom, but my feet were trodden on all night by the crew or other SLF mingling in the free space. Not worth it. And then there was the guy who, at 195 cm, thought he was on a winner in having the K seat until he realised that the exit slide took his leg room. His first words were "oh ...., this seat sucks..". I think he read books for the whole flight with legs bent around the slide space.

Go for the pair of seats down the back and enjoy the ride with the extra turbulence.
Old Sep 16, 2006, 7:05 am

Programs: Virgin Australia Velocity Gold
Echo the recommendations above.. ^

70-73AB/JK is a perfect option when traveling alone or with a partner.

I also don't mind being seated in the "Mini Y Cabin" R26-28 (window seat of course), although its location near the galley may prove to be bothersome for some; never has been for me though.

Exit rows do offer excellent pitch, although, if seated in A/K, the protruding door can be extremely bothersome, as can be the reduced seat width due to the inbuilt tray table. Must admit though, it's nice to have an adjustable PTV. Steer clear of row 58 - had the misfortune of having a continental breakfast spilt over my legs due to 58C's close proximity to the galley.

Have a pleasant flight ^
Old Sep 17, 2006, 1:29 am

Programs: QF-LTS & P, SQ-TPPS, IC-RA, HH-D, *wood G, Others
There is no such thing as a "best" economy seat IMHO.
Old Sep 17, 2006, 6:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ►QFWP/LTG►VA WP►HyattExpl.►HiltonGold►ALL Silver
To the OP:

On a 744 (and especially when it's very full), 35H/J/K generally can be more comfortable. In front are crew rest seats and are not often reclined, and if so, only for brief periods. Plus, you are in the second row of WHY.
Old Sep 17, 2006, 6:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by serfty
To the OP:

On a 744 (and especially when it's very full), 35H/J/K generally can be more comfortable. In front are crew rest seats and are not often reclined, and if so, only for brief periods. Plus, you are in the second row of WHY.
Very true. and you get the food first.
Old Sep 17, 2006, 11:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by bensyd
Very true. and you get the food first.
And you get to catch the cabin crew's ties as they fly over the top of the curtain ...
Old Sep 17, 2006, 12:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Globaliser
And you get to catch the cabin crew's ties as they fly over the top of the curtain ...
Old Sep 17, 2006, 4:50 pm
og
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: QF WP/LTG | UA P
Originally Posted by Globaliser
Is this another security threat?
Old Sep 17, 2006, 4:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Only to the security of the cabin crew's underwear.

Personally, I thought that was what the upper lobe rest area was for, but then what do I know?
Old Sep 17, 2006, 6:08 pm

Programs: Qantas FF Gold, Qantas Club
Originally Posted by SASfan
QF folks -

Thanks!
You could always look at SeatGuru which has commentary on every seat.

My personal choices would be 27A/K and then 72A/K. I like having a window as unobstructed by wings and engine as possible. Bulkhead seats suck IMO. Sure there's a little more legroom, but the armrests don't move, I have to stow my bag for takeoff, and there's limited pocket space. I like setting up my seat so that everything I need is within easy reach. And if the flight is reasonably empty, there's the chance to score a whole row of 3, which is about as comfortable as it gets on a long night flight in Economy.

A standard window seat away from galleys and toilets and wings is OK for me. 70A/K and 71A/K are a little too far from the window for my preference. I like to be able to lean a pillow against the window. Mind you, the extra storage space beside the seat is nice, so it's swings and roundabouts.

Everyone has their personal favorites. Aisle or window, front or back and so on. Best bet is to fly J or F, of course!
Old Sep 17, 2006, 10:46 pm

Programs: QF NB, SPG
Originally Posted by Skyring
My personal choices would be 27A/K and then 72A/K
We have 72AB allocated for SYD-LAX and return next month, but I'm praying the upgrade will happen

I recently signed up for QP, as I'm finally doing enough flying to justify it (and I might even make silver this year). Before QP, I always seemed to be down the back of the plane, now suddenly I'm getting row 4 on Jetconnect, and row 8 on the YYZ-LAX 737.

Now if only oneworld existed on Canadian domestic flights.. (we're doing SYD-LAX-YVR, YYC-YWG-YYQ-YWG-YYZ-LAX-SYD next month). My last experience with Air Canada was not great - back in 2001 we did SYD-AKL on both an FJ 737 and an AC 767. The FJ had QF cabin crew while the AC flight had AC cabin crew, and they were rather grumpy. Hopefully they'll be better this time.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.