Search

Earth QFF Credit Card & Westpac Bank

Search this Thread

Old Sep 14, 2006, 1:49 am
QG
Original Poster

Programs: QF WP, SQ TPPS
Thumbs down Earth QFF Credit Card & Westpac Bank

A warning to the self-employed applying for an Earth QFF credit card with Westpac - don't bother, unless you have your latest ATO assessment letter. Westpac won't accept anything else; not even last year's (i.e. 2004-5) nor confirmation from my accountant of my earnings. (I am a sole trader with a substantial annual turnover, so no group certs or payslips).

Just been back from the bank - I was so annoyed that I closed the account I had with them from my student days. Absolutely spewing.

Goodbye Westpac. A shame, seeing Earth was to be my Woolies replacement - now it's back to the drawing board to look at what the other decent banks are offering.
Old Sep 14, 2006, 2:06 am

Originally Posted by QG
A warning to the self-employed applying for an Earth QFF credit card with Westpac - don't bother, unless you have your latest ATO assessment letter. Westpac won't accept anything else; not even last year's (i.e. 2004-5) nor confirmation from my accountant of my earnings. (I am a sole trader with a substantial annual turnover, so no group certs or payslips).

Just been back from the bank - I was so annoyed that I closed the account I had with them from my student days. Absolutely spewing.

Goodbye Westpac. A shame, seeing Earth was to be my Woolies replacement - now it's back to the drawing board to look at what the other decent banks are offering.
*lots* of banks are getting that way now unfortunately. Even with my salary going into a WBC account every month on the same day for 4 years, they wanted pay slips for a credit limit increase of $1500. I know Westpac are bad, but i'm pretty sure they are not the only one these days. If I had that kind of drama, I can only imagine what they'd be like for a sole trader such as yourself.

Try citibank, even worse

Drew
Old Sep 14, 2006, 2:59 am

Programs: QF Silver (OW Ruby)
ANZ is not that bad for this. I applied for my Visa without any proof of income. They instantly gave me $5000.
Old Sep 14, 2006, 4:59 am
QG
Original Poster

Not even asking them to give me the card without verifying income - it's just their inflexible attitude and inability (or unwillingness) to consider other alternative forms of verification. Their arrogance astounds.

Never mind - there are more important things in life to stress about...
Old Sep 14, 2006, 7:11 am

Programs: QF Bronze, Velocity
Yet ANZ keeps trying to give me limit increases despite me telling them I am not interested.....and I only work part time!
Old Sep 15, 2006, 3:13 pm

Programs: UA*1K, BA Gold, SPG Platinum
My first ever loan was with Westpac 10 years ago. Because I was virtually self-employed, getting it approved was a colossal effort. But having dealt with all the major banks since, Westpac is definitely the most efficient, IMHO. They get things done quickly over the phone, their Internet Banking site is superb and their Altitude credit card fits my needs perfectly.
Try them again once you have your 05/06 tax assessment.
Old Sep 15, 2006, 10:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Million Miler. (1.9M) Virgin Platinum. HH Diamond + SPG Gold
Must be new.

Never, ever have I supplied a shred of info to ANY bank, and I have lots of cards from all sort of places. Getting that Velocity card this card asked for nothing much other than the below.

On written forms I write self employed and for name of accountant or manager to verify income stated, also write 'self'.

Against assets I write a pretty large 7 figure number and against monthly outgoing and commitments write a very small 4 figure number.

That seems to derail them.
Old Sep 15, 2006, 10:27 pm

Yeah I'm only a student and I've never had a problem.

ANZ gave me a $14,000 goldcard, and AMEX a $10,000 one.

I guess they must be tightening their regulations.
Old Sep 16, 2006, 12:26 am
QG
Original Poster

Originally Posted by flyGreg
Try them again once you have your 05/06 tax assessment.
No thanks, Westpac = inflexible & arrogant mob.

I think I'll continue with CBA after my Woolies card ceases to exist next month, and will probably upgrade it to a Commonwealth Platinum Awards one to retain the 1:1 ratio until the next raft of changes comes along.
Old Sep 16, 2006, 4:22 am

Programs: Elite Diamond Purple Dot Gold Silver Titanium for life
Originally Posted by QG
No thanks, Westpac = inflexible & arrogant mob.

I think I'll continue with CBA after my Woolies card ceases to exist next month, and will probably upgrade it to a Commonwealth Platinum Awards one to retain the 1:1 ratio until the next raft of changes comes along.
Correct me if I am wrong .... I would suggest the reason you were declined was not because of ATO assessment letters (I test-drive credit cards for fun & know who asks for what) but because you could probably do with a structure change to your business to improve your personal finance approval rating.
Old Sep 17, 2006, 7:31 pm

Programs: QF PS and spouse of QP Senior Lifer PS, UA, AA, DL, AS, AV
Originally Posted by ozstamps
Against assets I write a pretty large 7 figure number ....
So do I.
By the way,I write the cents in the asset column even if they say not to, so I am including the cents in the 7 figure count.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.