Wiki Posts
Search

Online Checkin

Search this Thread

Old May 24, 2006, 5:48 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Online Checkin

My corporate Travel agent told me yesterday a QF rep went to her office and demonstrated online check in. She thought it was fully implemented already.

But when I check on qf.com today, nothing?

Has anyone heard or used online checkin?
Old May 24, 2006, 6:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Exp|VA Platinum
Its on the cards for QF but nothing as yet. You can for JQ international flights though.
Old May 24, 2006, 6:09 am

Programs: QF Gold, VA Platinum
Sounds like Qantas is catching up with BA. I use BA's online check-in regularly and its great - you allocate your own seat (if you havent done so already) and even print your own boarding pass. If you have no bags to check when you get to the airport you walk straight up to security.

Hopefully Qantas can offer this soon as it speeds up the whole airport process...and hopefully they can extend their Check-in machines to cope with all passengers irrespective if they are checking bags or not just like BA as well.
Old May 24, 2006, 6:12 am
Suspended
Original Poster

I really don't understand why QF is so bloody slow at everything:

1) New J Class
2) AVOD
3) Online Checkin

Really CX had online checkin like 5 years ago.
Old May 24, 2006, 6:21 am

Sad to say but I think that Australia's IT infrastructure in general is way behind the rest of the world - this may have something to do with it. The online booking site (from the UK) was only recently improved a few months ago so that now you can actually see a matrix of fares across various dates before selecting a flight like you always could in Australia (and without harping on again, as BA have had for ages). In the past you had to select specific flights before you knew the cost.
Old May 24, 2006, 6:32 am

Aah, but CX have their IT infrastructure in Australia...

I think the main issue is Australian airlines not feeling overly threatened by competition and/or not feeling like they need to really excel in their day to day operations.
Old May 24, 2006, 6:55 am

Programs: BA Gold(OWE), QF LTG, MR Plat, IHG Spire, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Dave Marsh
I really don't understand why QF is so bloody slow at everything:

1) New J Class
2) AVOD
3) Online Checkin

Really CX had online checkin like 5 years ago.
Most European and North American carriers are still in the process of fitting new J cabins as well as AVOD. I think the correct statement would be "QF is slower than CX and SQ at introducing new services such as new seats and AVOD". Even other premium Asian carriers such as TG and MH have only just begun their cabin upgrades. Remember that BA are only just starting to fit AVOD to their planes as of this month and first cab off the rank will be the 767s on long haul duty.

You need to remember that CX and SQ don't equate to ALL carriers.
Old May 24, 2006, 7:02 am

Originally Posted by vaggus
Sad to say but I think that Australia's IT infrastructure in general is way behind the rest of the world - this may have something to do with it.
What a gross generalisation and a false one at that! My personal experience of IT infrastructure in Australia vs North America and Europe is very favourable. In fact Australia many large IT rollouts happen in Australia first as it is a smaller group to sort out should something go wrong – particularly the introduction of technology to the general population.

The online booking site (from the UK) was only recently improved a few months ago so that now you can actually see a matrix of fares across various dates before selecting a flight like you always could in Australia (and without harping on again, as BA have had for ages). In the past you had to select specific flights before you knew the cost.
You also only compare QF with one carrier (BA). Try booking with other carriers like LH, LX etc and you will quickly change your mind. In fact the BA matrix will only show you the cheapest flights available in your class at a specified time and date. At least with QF you can elect to pay for a higher booking class fare should you wish - something you cannot do on BA.
Old May 24, 2006, 8:05 am

Well it is just my opinion so no need to get bent out of shape. As an Australian living in the UK (for 4 years now) I think Australia is far behind Europe (no idea about North America/Asia) in terms of IT - this covers more than just computer technology. You are right this is a generalisation but is just my opinion - I work in technology so I do have some experience here but in the end is just one person's opinion.

Also I think comparing Qantas and BA is reasonable as they are One World partners with extensive code and fare sharing arrangements and have had recent corporate ties.
Old May 24, 2006, 8:12 am

Well it is just my opinion so no need to get bent out of shape. As an Australian living in the UK (for 4 years now) I think Australia is far behind Europe (no idea about North America/Asia) in terms of IT - this covers more than just computer technology. You are right this is a generalisation but is just my opinion - I work in technology so I do have some experience here but in the end is just one person's opinion.

Also I think comparing Qantas and BA is reasonable as they are One World partners with extensive code and fare sharing arrangements and have had recent corporate ties.
Much of my work is also in IT, and I have lived here for a hell of a lot longer than 4 years.

If you are going to compare QF and BA, let's discuss how long BA takes to credit non-BA flights, how long it takes to deduct miles, how even their staff don't even trust their own systems when trying to detirmine OW status etc. Whilst the MMB tool is great, I think the rest of the IT exposed to the user is pretty poor.

Outside of airlines, one only has to look at services like Banking to see how far behind the UK often feels.

Last edited by Traveloguy; May 24, 2006 at 5:31 pm Reason: dreadful typing!
Old May 25, 2006, 5:33 am

Originally Posted by Traveloguy
Much of my work is also in IT, and I have lived here for a hell of a lot longer than 4 years.

If you are going to compare QF and BA, let's discuss how long BA takes to credit non-BA flights, how long it takes to deduct miles, how even their staff don't even trust their own systems when trying to detirmine OW status etc. Whilst the MMB tool is great, I think the rest of the IT exposed to the user is pretty poor.

Outside of airlines, one only has to look at services like Banking to see how far behind the UK often feels.
Couldn't agree with you more. I have been in IT for over 10 years now and as far as 95% of technology goes, we are equal if not ahead of the game. Australia has had some pretty clever people and i've seen a lot of Aussies release innovative products to the o/s market.

But I digress. I'm sure it's QF that's moving slowly here not the Australian IT Sector

Drew
Old May 25, 2006, 5:41 am
og
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: QF WP/LTG | UA P
Originally Posted by Aus_Mal
Aah, but CX have their IT infrastructure in Australia....
Yes, in the "Norwest" of Sydney. Probably the most under-rated building I've seen. And with very carefully planned network redundancies for telecoms and electricity.
Old May 25, 2006, 7:38 am

Programs: UA 1K, QF Gold
Originally Posted by og
Yes, in the "Norwest" of Sydney. Probably the most under-rated building I've seen. And with very carefully planned network redundancies for telecoms and electricity.
But moving to Rhodes I belive...
Old May 25, 2006, 3:51 pm
og
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: QF WP/LTG | UA P
Originally Posted by simong
But moving to Rhodes I belive...
Ahhh, so traffic on Windsor Road & Old Windsor Roads have finially got to them (or is it the Hillsong Church)?
Old May 25, 2006, 4:01 pm

Programs: UA 1K, QF Gold
Originally Posted by og
Ahhh, so traffic on Windsor Road & Old Windsor Roads have finially got to them (or is it the Hillsong Church)?
Nah they just love Ikea meatballs

I dug out the article http://www.zdnet.com.au/news/busines...9256229,00.htm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.