Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Qantas | Frequent Flyer
Reload this Page >

Flight goes tech: should I have complained?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 19, 2006, 2:41 am
Original Poster

Programs: Muccihood de la Rotisserie Doree, BAEC Gold, SAS Eurobonus basic, Ansett Golden Wing :-(

I've just flown LHR-SYD-WLG-SYD-LHR in J on Qantas. All went very smoothly. But when I was in Sydney something came up and I had to go back to Welly for 3 days, so I booked a return flight in Y on QF117 and returning on QF118.

So, on Tuesday afternoon on 18/4, I was in the cab on the way to the airport in Sydney when my mobile rang. It was Qantas saying the plane had broken down and I had been rebooked on QF 47 the following morning. So instead of arriving in WLG at 1145pm I wouldn't get there until 230pm the next day. I asked if there was any way I could get to Welly that night, and she said the best they could do was the next day.

It was the night of the Rolling Stones concert in WLG, so accommodation was scarce, meaning my $250 per night hotel room was non-refundable. I had already checked out of my Sydney hotel, so had to turn the cab around and find alternative accommodation. I missed almost a full day in the office in NZ.

As it happens I phoned an old flame and secured dinner and acommodation for the night, so it worked out very fine in the end from a personal perspective, though my colleagues in Wully were a but pussed off. The office travel agent in Sydney rang a bit later and said that QF could have flown me to Auckland, put me up overnight, then got me down to Welly first thing in the morning, but by that stage it was touch and go whether I would make the 630pm flight QF49 to AKL. The Air NZ flight direct to Welly was already full, so was not an option.

So, my question is: should I have belly-ached when QF first rang me, demanding either accommodation in Sydney or the routing via AKL and accommodation there? I think having lived 11 years in London I've adopted a "mustn't grumble" attitude, which is why I didn't complain. If it had been my J flight to WLG that had gone tech, as part of my LHR-WLG booking, would they have treated me better?

Cheers, James
Old May 20, 2006, 7:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: former Olympic Airways Gold (yeah - still proud of that!)
Hi James

With the benefit of hindsight, and depending on how urgently I needed to be in WLG, I probably would have continued on my way to SYD airport and checked for alternatives rather than heading back to town... a quick look at the departures board would have shown the flight to AKL, or alternatively, I would have checked with NZ for a last-minute cancellation or no-show.

As this round-trip ticket was purchased locally, the airline 'assumes' that this is your true point of origin, and that you would have your own accommodation in SYD - therefore in general, they wouldn't be offering you a hotel. If this trip had been part of your international itinerary (or, for example, you were returning to WLG having originated there), then depending on the reason for the delay, accommodation would have been a reasonable request (on the basis that you are stranded). It's highly likely that pax originating in New Zealand were put on the NZ flight already for that reason.

Perhaps the option would be to look at your travel insurance? This should have covered the cost of your extra accommodation in Sydney at least (although I notice that you were lucky enough to make alternative arrangements!). Whether or not the insurance would have also covered the lost NZ accommodation is not entirely clear - they may argue that if you are reimbursed the SYD accomm - then you are not out of pocket for the 'lost' Wellington night. Not sure - you would need to check the policy.

If you had proceeded to the airport and made the AKL flight (exaplaining you are not a resident here in Oz and had no alternative accommodation) - then I think it would have been reasonable for QF to pay AKL accommodation - especially if you were on a full Y fare.

Regards

L/M/E FF
Old May 23, 2006, 7:24 pm

Programs: QFWP (LTSG), NZ (Jade), TG ROP (Forgotten), OZ (Silver), AA (Cardboard), EK (Lowest of the Low)
James, this happened to me twice with Qantas flying Sydney to Wellington on QF117, last time was early March.
Both times I was at the check-in counter when I was told that the flight was cancelled due to weather. I later found out, my housemate works at Wellington Airport operations and that it was not the weather but that the Qantas plane went technical, they are waiting on their refurbished 737-400 and doing only the required maintenance (still safe I must add) and Qantas lied. This was important, as I asked about accommodation and the Customer Service rep told me that if the reason was technical that Qantas will put out of towners, I am but my FF said I was a Sydney resident, up for the night and because it is due to the weather then they do not have to. I do not know if this is true.
I was not offered Air New Zealand flights, they told me they were full and the Auckland flight option was available but they would not put me up in a hotel as that was considered a change of itinerary and that would be up to me to pay. Unfortunately all hotel rooms were in short supply in Auckland and I had a job interview at 12:00 the next day.
I too was able to make alternate arrangements, unfortunately I was not as lucky as you my parents live in Sydney, but Qantas did give me taxi vouchers, which I used $120.00 which was half my fare! I missed my interview, I got the job though, and Qantas by sheer co-incidence did me a large favour. The morning QF47 flight was full so they booked me on the morning Air New Zealand flight and that was one of the best flights across the Tasman I ever had. I was able to use the Koru Club, the service was unusally exceptional and attentive, the flight was only 40% full, the movie better than Qantas and I could not help but think I was doing better with this flight than I would have been on that packed Qantas flight.
I was so impressed I joined Air New Zealand Koru Club and I share my flights once a month, now based on price, across the Tasman between the two.
Old May 23, 2006, 7:36 pm
NM

Programs: AA Plat & LTG; QF LTG
Originally Posted by Blackcloud
Both times I was at the check-in counter when I was told that the flight was cancelled due to weather. I later found out, my housemate works at Wellington Airport operations and that it was not the weather but that the Qantas plane went technical, they are waiting on their refurbished 737-400 and doing only the required maintenance (still safe I must add) and Qantas lied.
Perhaps the cold/wet NZ weather had prevented the mechanics from fixing the technical fault in time to operate the flight, so the flight was cancelled? Maybe they didn't have enough Welly Boots for the mechanics to keep their feet warm and dry?

Falsely claiming a flight is delayed or cancelled due to weather is a dangerous practice for airlines. Its a pretty easy task to determine if this is true, and surely they must expect people are going to ask about the horrible weather when they get to the destination. Reminds me of a certain beer ad where the weather is blamed as an excuse to stay a little while longer.
Old May 23, 2006, 8:35 pm

Programs: QFWP (LTSG), NZ (Jade), TG ROP (Forgotten), OZ (Silver), AA (Cardboard), EK (Lowest of the Low)
No it was not the case. My fiance thought I was joking when I called her to tell her I was delayed, she did not believe me, weather was decent, and called Qantas herself.
Housemate serviced the particular plane and knew the crew were trying their best to get everything ready as the passengers were airside waiting to be boarded. I am not a pilot so I do not know if weather over the Tasman would prevent the plane from making it to Sydney due to the technical fault, but it was technical.
Additionally the same flight, I do not know if it was the same plane, was cancelled the day before as well. This was from the Customer Service agent at the original check-in. Do not get me wrong, that I think the planes are safe to fly, I am flying QF117 this Sunday, but I think Qantas' service was sadly lacking and they are just waiting to get the 737-400 into service and later the 737-800.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.