Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Qantas | Frequent Flyer
Reload this Page >

Boeing has the plane for MEL-DFW nonstop

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Boeing has the plane for MEL-DFW nonstop

Search this Thread

Old May 15, 2006, 3:29 pm

Programs: BA Gold(OWE), QF LTG, MR Plat, IHG Spire, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by number_6
QF not only announced SYD-LAX-ORD service but sold tickets (and was a week from the start of service, when it decided not to but to use AA codeshares instead).
Actually it was a MEL-LAX-ORD service using the then brand new 747-400ERs.
Old May 15, 2006, 4:01 pm
Original Member
Original Poster

Location: Portland OR Double Emerald (QF and AA), DL PM/MM, Starwood Plat
Maybe QF had more than 1 routing, though I doubt it, but I had tickets purchased in F on ORD-LAX-SYD and I remember it was the same flight number all the way through (however this was maybe 2 years ago so I might not have the details right). In any case it never operated, and I found out by looking at the booking on the web site (no phone call from QF, but it was still a week from the travel date). In any case an interesting insight into the airline business, when QF decides it is more profitable to leave a plane sitting on the ground at LAX for 12 hours than it is to fly it LAx-ORD-LAX instead.
Old May 15, 2006, 4:05 pm

Programs: BA Gold(OWE), QF LTG, MR Plat, IHG Spire, Hertz PC
Yeild management is however QFs strong suit and possibly the main reason it can run at a profit irrespective of the still restrictive unionised contracts in place.

The dissapearance of the almost started MEL-LAX-ORD service was sad. Could have been another way to get pax straight into a main AA hub.

Added info:

QF's mean rationale for using the 744ERs on the MEL route is that this is the first aircraft in its class that can do the MEL-LAX runs without weight restrictions (yes, I am aware the 772ER can do although QF needed a larger capacity aircraft).

I am hopefuly for a 748 option, but I guess QF will wait to see how thier now A380s perform before opting for yet another airfract type.

Last edited by Traveloguy; May 15, 2006 at 4:12 pm
Old May 15, 2006, 6:24 pm

Programs: QFF Gold, Velocity + Miles & More
Originally Posted by Traveloguy
Going to agree with bensyd on this one. Last reports out of QF indicated they had definitely scrapped the LHR-SYD idea.

I also can't see a SYD-DFW in action in an all J config. Sounds like wishful thinking rather than fact.

I agree with the both of you, in that I do not think there will be a LHR-SYD in J config. However I know for fact that they are working on designs for a full J fit out so I am sure SYD-DFW is still in the pipe line.
Old May 15, 2006, 6:34 pm
NM

Programs: AA Plat & LTG; QF LTG
Originally Posted by number_6
Obviously DFW only makes sense for business traffic. Tourists would much rather route via LAX than DFW, for obvious reasons. It would be very foolish to run a high-Y plane DFW-SYD and I'm sure the airlines have this well figured out. DFW is desperate to attract long-haul international flights ... they built a new "international" terminal and 80% of the flights using that terminal are domestic (as there just isn't much international traffic at DFW, unlike ORD).
Are you implying that the Ft Worth Stockyards, Billy Bobs, and Coyboys night spot don't are not attractive to tourists .

There's a Six Flags near Arlington to compete with Disneyland .
Old May 15, 2006, 7:04 pm

Programs: QFF WP :-0, AC, FlyBuys, Porter's Liquor Store, Mother's Helper
Originally Posted by hobarthoney
I agree with the both of you, in that I do not think there will be a LHR-SYD in J config. However I know for fact that they are working on designs for a full J fit out so I am sure SYD-DFW is still in the pipe line.
You Tease, I'm sure we Ft'ers would love to know more.
Old May 15, 2006, 7:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Exp|VA Platinum
Is it not possible they could be thinking about other routes SYD-JFK non-stop. I just don't see there being that much traffic going into/out of DFW. And now that QF is flying to SFO which is an AA hub there is no real need for DFW.
Old May 15, 2006, 7:16 pm

Originally Posted by NM
Are you implying that the Ft Worth Stockyards, Billy Bobs, and Coyboys night spot don't are not attractive to tourists .

There's a Six Flags near Arlington to compete with Disneyland .
I must agree! Billy Bobs is the "Worlds biggest Honky Tonk" and is a must see Also a feed in a Tex Mex restaurant is so much better than those swanky restaurants in NY
Old May 15, 2006, 7:17 pm
NM

They may be investigating designs, but I will be surprised to see it happen, especially on the 747 fleet. A daily operation would require at least 3 aircraft to be dedicated to the configuration, and less than daily means the aircraft would need to operate other routes on the off-days to keep them utilised. An all-J 747 is a huge investment and very large number of seats. So the only way they could consider this option with their current fleet plans is with the 787 and that is still a few years away from the QF mainline fleet.

Lets look at some basic numbers. QF currently operates a maximum of 6 x 744 aircraft trans-Pacific on any particular day (QF11, 25, 93, 107, 149, 175) as a combination of 3-class and 2-class configs. That includes 56 F seats and 368 J seats on any given day. Its probably fair to remove the QF25 from this calculation as anyone really chasing a non-stop to DFW is not going to taking an AKL routing now, leaving us with 318 viable J seats in the picture.

An all-J 747-400 would include around 156 Skybeds assuming the same density as J on the current 744 aircraft (ie 18 in Zone A and 14 skybeds replace 50Y seats).

So they would need to know that around 50% of all J passengers are wanting to go non-stop to DFW - either terminating there or continuing on to other AA destinations better served from DFW than LAX. If the non-stop departed in SYD, some of those QF passengers are starting in BNE or MEL and then have a choice to connect in SYD (meaning an earlier departure from their origin) or in LAX (meaning a later arrival into DFW).

Knowing that the current arrival time of those 6 QF trans-Pacific flights into LAX is between 6:05am and 9:45am, these make connections with AA flights to DFW in the 8am to 12:00noon timeframe. In that timeframe, AA operate 5 LAX-DFW flights, being 2 x MD80, 2 x 757 and 1 x 738 aircraft types, carrying a total of 92 First Class seats.

So assuming some of the QF 56 F seats continue to DFW on AA flights in F (lets assume 15 of these passengers do on any random day), this leaves 77 AA F seats available for other connecting QF J passengers plus any sold to AA customers or connecting CX passengers etc.

So QF's share of those 77 seats is likely to be less than 50. So I can't see how QF would justify flying a full-J config 747 with 156 seats non-stop SYD-DFW (or MEL-DFW). The current feed of business class passengers LAX-DFW just does not add up by my calculations.

It may be viable with a 787 in all-J config, but not for a 747. The demand is not there currently.
Old May 15, 2006, 7:22 pm
NM

I must agree! Billy Bobs is the "Worlds biggest Honky Tonk" and is a must see Also a feed in a Tex Mex restaurant is so much better than those swanky restaurants in NY
An essential visit to Joe T Garcias Tex Mex, followed a visit to the Stockyards and finishing off a Billy Bobs is a good night out . H3 and Cattlemans are good a Texas steak dinner at the Stockyards area too. Must wash it all down with a Shiner Bock or three.
Old May 15, 2006, 7:28 pm

Originally Posted by GoldFlyer
You Tease, I'm sure we Ft'ers would love to know more.
FT is all about the slow leek of information and the tease

My source would not tell me much at this stage and its all in the very early stages and even if the designs are finalised that does not mean they will be implemented. I will leek more as it is passed on to me
Old May 15, 2006, 8:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by bensyd
Is it not possible they could be thinking about other routes SYD-JFK non-stop. I just don't see there being that much traffic going into/out of DFW. And now that QF is flying to SFO which is an AA hub there is no real need for DFW.
I think you will be sorely disappointed with the AA SFO operations. A few daily flights to LAX, JFK, MIA, ORD, STL, SNA, a couple to BOS, one to HNL and very few other places. Total of about 37 mainline flights and a handful of tiny Eagle RJs. Big city? Certainly. AA hub? Sadly, no.
Old May 15, 2006, 8:38 pm
sxc
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Green, QF Platinum, BAEC Silver, Hyatt Glob
I think the whole point of the increase in the range of the 747-8 is that the range is at a "normal" configuration ie 3-class. I think that means that should QF decide to do so, they can fly non-stop to DFW or JFK with this 747 in their normal 3-class config.
Old May 15, 2006, 9:07 pm

Originally Posted by NM
An essential visit to Joe T Garcias Tex Mex, followed a visit to the Stockyards and finishing off a Billy Bobs is a good night out . H3 and Cattlemans are good a Texas steak dinner at the Stockyards area too. Must wash it all down with a Shiner Bock or three.
I have enjoyed the delights of Joe T Garcias plus and ice cold Shiner Bock in Fort Worth. I think people will be surprised jus how much Fort Worth has to offer the tourist traveler plus I recommend being in Fort Worth for the UT V OU game!

Maybe DFW will be the perfect US hub for JQ
Old May 15, 2006, 9:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Exp|VA Platinum
Originally Posted by FWAAA
I think you will be sorely disappointed with the AA SFO operations. A few daily flights to LAX, JFK, MIA, ORD, STL, SNA, a couple to BOS, one to HNL and very few other places. Total of about 37 mainline flights and a handful of tiny Eagle RJs. Big city? Certainly. AA hub? Sadly, no.
My mistake, but in all fairness, I am sure that 90%+ would going onto LAX/JFK/MIA/MCO/ORD. DFW would certainly be a nice place to end up, for one thing I find the TSA guys there are alot politer than elsewhere in the states, but I think DFW is also a great destination as has been discussed on this thread people are very friendly some great restaurants and nightlife, oh and if your in Fort-Worth I suggest Justin's for a great price on Texan boots

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.