Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Qantas | Frequent Flyer
Reload this Page >

Earning FF points on a "no show" flight?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 31, 2006, 4:52 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Priority Club(PLAT), Choice Hotels (PLAT), QANTAS, Virgin Australia, ANSETT_GW(RETIRED!)

Hi Everyone

I'm new to this forum but thought I'd give it a go with a sticky question!

I recently came over to the US from AU on QF for what should have been 4 weeks work. Well, it turned into 4 months work! so had to cancel our return flights.

Thought I'd do the right thing and let QF know we wouldn't be flying - didn't get a refund because it was a discount fare. Noticed a couple of weeks ago that we hadn't received points so rang QF. They quoted FF policy about no points for "cancelling" a flight. Wrote to QF FF centre and got the same response.

As we paid for the flights, does anyone know how I might get the points? Was hoping that 10yrs of flying as a Gold & Plat + CIP would have helped...!
Old Mar 31, 2006, 5:41 pm
Original Member

Location: Portland OR Double Emerald (QF and AA), DL PM/MM, Starwood Plat
You have to actually fly to get the points, merely paying is not sufficient. There is no recourse.
Old Mar 31, 2006, 5:47 pm

Programs: QF Plat - OW EMD | DL Gold / Starwood Gold
Hi 321oed and welcome to FT.

Looks like number_6 just beat me to it - but I can confirm that QF points are only earned for flights which you undertake.

The rule goes further in the sense that even if you book and pay for multiple seats (for example, you want extra room), you will only earn points on the single seat which form the main part of the booking.

Regards

LHR/MEL/Europe FF
(edited to add that I am on a shared computer and looks like I forgot to change FT profiles!)
Old Apr 1, 2006, 9:12 am
Original Poster

Programs: Priority Club(PLAT), Choice Hotels (PLAT), QANTAS, Virgin Australia, ANSETT_GW(RETIRED!)
thanks for the welcome - looks like a really interesting site - wish I'd found it sooner! I thought that might be the answer. Bit of a shame really, between the 3 of us (mw,wife and son) we've probably lost about 50k points for flights we've paid for. 'suppose rules are rules but it doesn't encourage us to continue flying with them!

Originally Posted by 321eod
Hi Everyone

I'm new to this forum but thought I'd give it a go with a sticky question!

I recently came over to the US from AU on QF for what should have been 4 weeks work. Well, it turned into 4 months work! so had to cancel our return flights.

Thought I'd do the right thing and let QF know we wouldn't be flying - didn't get a refund because it was a discount fare. Noticed a couple of weeks ago that we hadn't received points so rang QF. They quoted FF policy about no points for "cancelling" a flight. Wrote to QF FF centre and got the same response.

As we paid for the flights, does anyone know how I might get the points? Was hoping that 10yrs of flying as a Gold & Plat + CIP would have helped...!
Old Apr 1, 2006, 9:22 am

Programs: QF Gold, VA Plat, IHG Plat Amb, LCAH Gold, Hilton Diamond
While they may not give you a refund, some of the discount fares allow you to keep the value of the ticket as a credit against later tickets. But without knowing the conditions of your ticket its hard to know if this applies. This is a more likely thing to get that the FF points
Old Apr 1, 2006, 1:18 pm
Original Member

Location: Portland OR Double Emerald (QF and AA), DL PM/MM, Starwood Plat
I have never seen any airline deliberately give points for an unflown ticket, so this is not unique to QF. Most roundtrip discount fares that are used oneway have zero remaining value (the oneway costs more than the roundtrip, as the airlines cleverly don't offer deeply discounted oneway fares). Ticket validity for date changes varies a lot by fare basis, sometimes a small increase in fare allows date changes on the return (as little as 5% additional sometimes provides this, but it varies a lot by specific fare and route). Selecting the "cheapest" fare is quite an art if you try to factor in the chances of needing changes.
Old Apr 1, 2006, 3:26 pm

Location: Brisbane (BNE), Australia, QF/VA Forums Meeting Organiser
Programs: VA Plat, QF Gold (97.4% LTG), QP Life, AA (66% LTG). HH Diamond. Amex Plat, Visa Plat
321eod, I think we've all thought "I wish I'd found FT earlier....":

From the QFF site:

You will earn one Qantas Frequent Flyer point per mile (or 1.609km) travelled on eligible* Full Economy flights with Qantas,
and from the Qantas FF T&C's:

7.4 Each Member is responsible for ensuring that Points are properly credited to their account. Qantas reserves the right to require proof of earning from the Member, including copies of ticket coupons and/or original boarding passes from flights claimed to have been flown
Old Apr 1, 2006, 5:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Million Miler. (1.9M) Virgin Platinum. HH Diamond + SPG Gold
Originally Posted by number_6

I have never seen any airline deliberately give points for an unflown ticket, so this is not unique to QF.
Well there are very common exceptions to this. I agree on a ticket a pax cancels there are none.

I have however always gotten points from original carrier (and status miles/credit and all elite bonuses) when my ticket has been endorsed to another carrier.

And of course one gets full miles etc on carrier 2 as well. Has occurred due to irregular ops, mechanicals, etc.

You will also generally get the same deal in any "re-protection" ticketing made by original carrier on a revenue ticket.

If you have a ticket booked right now to a destination Qantas ceases to service they will ordinarily re-protect you on an alternate carrier. If that is not a OW carrier you should get normal Qantas miles and miles from that other Carrier if you apply for both.

Say for instance Qantas chose to cease the Christchurch service in 14 days. You are already in CHC on business doing training etc and you planned to return April 17.

They'll ordinarily endorse your ticket over to Air NZ (or DJ perhaps depending on class of service you were booked in). So in that case of a one way travel on QF, you'd get miles for both ways AFAIK.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.