Wiki Posts
Search

Taxes on Award Bookings, what the?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 6, 2006, 3:23 am
Original Poster

Programs: QF Silver,PP,PCR Gold,GP, Starwood, BA Exec,
Taxes on Award Bookings, what the?

Have searched through the QF forum can't find an answer, so sorry if its been answered.

Trying to book the family on award tickets in Dec06 CBR MEL rt

Can someone shed some light on how the award booking taxes are calculated? Tryed to find something in the T&C's had no luck. I'm sure the last time I booked an award seat the taxes were clearly labeled what for. Is it possible that QF can skim the taxes?? Becase to purchase the tickets the taxes were less??

Any help much appreciated.

Cheers
Old Mar 6, 2006, 4:00 am
In Memoriam

Programs: Mucci
On CBR-MEL, you would be much better off actually booking the flights using red e-deals rather than award flights. The cost in $$$ won't be that much more, and you will earn points as well.

The taxes on this sector will include a fuel fine, and CBR and MEL airport charges, plus GST on all of them. You will pay these whether it is an award ticket or a paid ticket. I myself would not be wasting points on a CBR-MEL award.

Dave
Old Mar 6, 2006, 4:46 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by thadocta
On CBR-MEL, you would be much better off actually booking the flights using red e-deals rather than award flights. The cost in $$$ won't be that much more, and you will earn points as well.

The taxes on this sector will include a fuel fine, and CBR and MEL airport charges, plus GST on all of them. You will pay these whether it is an award ticket or a paid ticket. I myself would not be wasting points on a CBR-MEL award.

Dave
Thanks Dave for the advice, it really does begg the question what do we use our points for these days?

Thanks again
Old Mar 6, 2006, 2:44 pm

maybe you could post the actual taxes on paid and on award and we can see the difference.
To my mind they should not be charging gst on the flight part at least.
all other port charges should apply but certainly not MORE!
Old Mar 6, 2006, 5:21 pm

I just happened to have booked an award flight CBR-MEL return in April. The tax was $81.86 + GST = $90.05, which is still considerably cheaper than the red e-deal of $108 each way. And of course, the red e-deal wasn't available the day I had to fly, so I was looking at $261 ($159 fare + $102 taxes) for a purchased ticket. So, sometimes, just have to use points on CBR-MEL. But it looks like the taxes are similar between award and bought tickets.
Old Mar 6, 2006, 5:37 pm

just looked at a ret cbr-mel and there are $94 taxes on the paid ticket so it LOOKS like they are charging GST on the value of the ticket.
I remember a lot of screaming on other forums about any hint of a tax on a free award.
what isnt it happening here?

are Qantas a law unto themselves?
Old Mar 6, 2006, 5:54 pm

It does look a little fishy, but hard to work out without knowing the breakdown of charges. For the example I gave, GST should be $23.73 for the purchased ticket (1/11 of the total price), leaving other charges of $78.27 or so, which is simailar to, but not the same, as the charges on the award booking.
Old Mar 6, 2006, 6:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

award co-payment: not tax

Originally Posted by 3points
Can someone shed some light on how the award booking taxes are calculated?
As stated by thadocta, you are not paying taxes. A tax goes the Government (as authorised by an Act of Parliament). You are paying the fuel surcharge, CBR and MEL airport charges, plus GST on all of them. These are part of the normal operating costs of all airlines (all aircraft need fuel). Other airlines (like some in the USA) are more honest than QF and call these costs award co-payments.
Old Mar 6, 2006, 6:48 pm
Original Poster

Cool

Originally Posted by dikko
It does look a little fishy, but hard to work out without knowing the breakdown of charges. For the example I gave, GST should be $23.73 for the purchased ticket (1/11 of the total price), leaving other charges of $78.27 or so, which is simailar to, but not the same, as the charges on the award booking.
Hey dikko - what you have mentioned is exactly what I was thinking when i started this post, its simailar but not the same! Should'nt it be the same? Going to get on the "dog and bone" to them to find out what's up with the imbalance, so I can get off my soap box!
Old Mar 6, 2006, 9:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ►QFWP/LTG►VA WP►HyattExpl.►HiltonGold►ALL Silver
Some Levies/Charges accrue GST some don't. Also they vary regularly; what was true a week or two ago, may have changed today.

I just did two dummy bookings MEL-CBR-MEL for July one a red e-deal, the other a WHY Award.

The T/L/C's for the award came out at 90.05. The red e-deal came out at 215.45. This was composed of $114 for the base fare and $101.45 for the T/L/C's. If you add the GST on the $114 fare ($11.40) to the $90.05 T/L/C's for the award you end up with the same figure as for the T/L/C's on the purchased fare, $101.45.

So at least that is consistent.
Old Mar 7, 2006, 5:38 am
NM

Programs: AA Plat & LTG; QF LTG
Also be aware that you may be offered MEL-SYD-CBR for the award flights, and that would incur two fuel fines instead of one for MEL-CBR direct. Now is it possible that the QF awards engine has been tuned to offer connecting flights to maximise the fuel fine revenue on award flights? I know when looking for BNE-PER-BNE awards, the only daytime flights with availability involved connections in SYD, MEL or ADL, making it a total of 4 fuel fines for the return journey.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.