Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Qantas | Frequent Flyer
Reload this Page >

Stupid question - check in shaving blades?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 23, 2006, 6:00 am
Original Poster

Like the title says .. Can I bring my shaving razor onboard or do I have to check-in? I've got an overnight trip SYD-MEL and I really don't need to carry check-in luggage as I can stuff everything in my laptop bag.

And I really loathe the idea of carrying a luggage for check-in JUST for my shaving equipment. For the record, it's just the Gillette Mach 3.

I read up QF's page about it and it seems like it could go both ways (http://www.qantas.com.au/info/flying...aggageCarryOn).

Anyone?
Old Feb 23, 2006, 6:06 am

I don't think you will face any problem. I always hand carry my razor (its a Mach 3 too ^) and not once have i encountered any difficulties. Just completed an international segment to SYD, and a SYD-MEL one. (domestic "international" flight). No probs.
Old Feb 23, 2006, 6:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BD, QF, QR/EY/GF & HH Gold/SPG, Hertz#1G
From time to time you will find razors in amenity packs or in the toiletry areas of the toilets (may have been Gulf Air in December). I've used them onboard in the bathroom and have never had a problem boarding either.
Old Feb 23, 2006, 7:24 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by BiziBB
From time to time you will find razors in amenity packs or in the toiletry areas of the toilets (may have been Gulf Air in December). I've used them onboard in the bathroom and have never had a problem boarding either.
Too bad I have to fly Y for domestic travel. Company policy.

But thanks to both of you for the follow-up. I don't feel so stupid anymore ...

(I suppose I better take the battery out lest they mistake it for something else. )
Old Feb 23, 2006, 7:31 am
Suspended

Programs: some, * alliance, OW, ISIC,
it really depends on the person who's assigned the X-ray machine nowadays. The other day i was at Brisbane airport, there was a guy who felt a bit on the ball and decided to hold my bag for carrying a bottle of wine. I have also witness someone at one of the airports having problems as the person doing the x-ray machine wanted to have a look at his mach 3 shaving cream aerosol can. and the customer i witnessed wasn't too happy about it.

By and large, as flights are domestic, they should be ok unless you are flying virgin blue where the security guys nowadays tend to keep an eye on alcohol bottles. If your bag is being withheld, just ask straight in the face, what the objection is and just show what they ask and just go.
Old Feb 23, 2006, 7:35 am

Programs: QF Gold, VA Plat, IHG Plat Amb, LCAH Gold, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by trekkie
it really depends on the person who's assigned the X-ray machine nowadays. The other day i was at Brisbane airport, there was a guy who felt a bit on the ball and decided to hold my bag for carrying a bottle of wine. I have also witness someone at one of the airports having problems as the person doing the x-ray machine wanted to have a look at his mach 3 shaving cream aerosol can. and the customer i witnessed wasn't too happy about it.
I have been asked to show my shaving cream cans from time to time, and it seems they a) just want to see what it is, and b) make sure it has a lid on it (not sure why it has to have a lid). Never had a problem with my Mach 3 razor though.
Old Feb 23, 2006, 8:29 am

Programs: OW Emerald, QF Plat, SPG Gold, HH Gold, AMEX Plat
I'm pretty sure it's fine. (I use Mach 3 too)

I do carry my razor on long haul trips, especially if there is a transit (like SYD-JFK via LAX) because I like to keep fresh and neat. I put it in my amenity bag that I bring with me. I always detatch the blade from the stick... I just tend to think it would look less offensive on the x-ray. Am I a little odd?

Just be careful with cans of shaving gel or foam. I bring only the small size if I have to bring one at all. Luckily you will get some cream or foam in most J/F amenity kits. Thank you QF for that!! ^ I save these where I can for trips where I don't expect to be given one.

(this goes for hairspray too. They will seize any oversize cans. I once packed a mega big can of hairspray in my carry on by mistake! Bye Bye! And no this wasn't in the 60's for a beehive doo!)
Old Feb 23, 2006, 9:28 am

Originally Posted by perthite
I have been asked to show my shaving cream cans from time to time, and it seems they a) just want to see what it is, and b) make sure it has a lid on it (not sure why it has to have a lid). Never had a problem with my Mach 3 razor though.
My tip for the Mach 3, if you have the battery one is to reverse the battery before packing. The trigger switch is extremely sensitive and prone to accidental presses. Quite embarassing to have a vibration coming from your overnight bag !

The lids are required to avoid accidental pressing of the nozzle while in the air. A full can of (eg) hairspray released while up in the air could cause a few complications for those around where the bag is.
Old Feb 23, 2006, 2:55 pm
Original Poster

The gel/foam thing isn't an issue as I use a shaving cream so no aerosols involved. But wow. I gotta admit this thread has opened up my eyes. I should've asked this question much much earlier. Didn't realize "security" was so "lax".

And yes, I generally always detach the blade and take out the battery anyway even when they're checked-in so this should be a no-brainer.
Old Feb 23, 2006, 5:44 pm

I too use a Mach 3 and also detatch the blade from the stick.

I've never had any problems at any airport around the world except good old Wellington domestic, where on one trip a security guy made a big deal of it in front of I dont know how many people and took it off me. Probably didn't help that I calmly said no problem you can keep it. I got the feeling he was looking for an argument and you just know your never going to win with those guys, thought it better to smile and move on.
Old Feb 23, 2006, 7:02 pm

Programs: QF LTG, Velocity FF Red, HH Diamond, PC Platinum Ambassador, UA Nothing
Smile

Originally Posted by perthite
IATA Dangerous Goods regulations require that any aerosol has a lid to prevent inadvertant operation. (incl shaving cream)

Also a requirement that batteries are removed completely from equipment. Not just embarrassing if they begin to vibrate but have been know to cause fires!
Old Feb 24, 2006, 1:45 am

Programs: QF Gold, VA Plat, IHG Plat Amb, LCAH Gold, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Itsalongwaydown
IATA Dangerous Goods regulations require that any aerosol has a lid to prevent inadvertant operation. (incl shaving cream)
I have asked different security people why the lid requirement and none of them have actually been able to tell me why it exists. But now I know.
Old Feb 24, 2006, 5:40 am

Programs: Elite Diamond Purple Dot Gold Silver Titanium for life
uhh... qf j/f amenity packs include razors....... so it must be OK to bring your own!
Old Feb 25, 2006, 3:19 am

Originally Posted by Itsalongwaydown
Also a requirement that batteries are removed completely from equipment. Not just embarrassing if they begin to vibrate but have been know to cause fires!

Do you have a reference for this?

According to Qantas http://www.qantas.com.au/info/flying...dangerousGoods

it appears that Qantas will allow battery operated devices in either hand luggage or in checked baggage. There appears to be no requirement for the battery to be removed - instead if you are carrying spare batteries it says you must correctly isolate them so they they don't have a chance of shorting out.

Does Qantas have laxer regulations than the IATA regs?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.